Box Office Hit

Challengers | April 26, 2024 | MGM | Zendaya | Luca Guadagnino to Direct

20 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

Yeah if this gets buzz like Saltburn did I'm sure Amazon would be thrilled.

IIRC Saltburn flopped in cinemas and never once ranked on the Nielsen streaming charts.

Studios are now in the business of making their flops appear to not be flops. The optics of success are more important than actually being successful.

Edited by AJG

3 hours ago, AJG said:

IIRC Saltburn flopped in cinemas and never once ranked on the Nielsen streaming charts.

Studios are now in the business of making their flops appear to not be flops. The optics of success are more important than actually being successful.

Saltburn was top 10 of all time worldwide for Amazon. Not sure about Nielsen, but I know that’s only one country. In the first 2 weeks it quadrupled its debut views. (Deadline)

It did pretty well in cinemas here too. It really does feel like one of the biggest films of 2023, cultural/pop impact wise anyway.

50 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Saltburn was top 10 of all time worldwide for Amazon. Not sure about Nielsen, but I know that’s only one country. In the first 2 weeks it quadrupled its debut views. (Deadline)

It did pretty well in cinemas here too. It really does feel like one of the biggest films of 2023, cultural/pop impact wise anyway.

Like I said - studios care about the optics of success not actual success. Since more advanced third-party viewership trackers have appeared in the US, the streamers have started releasing these “global viewership” figures because they are completely unverifiable and they can sound gigantic - like a manufactured phenomenon (IIRC globally Wish nearly doubled the ‘massive’ global viewership of that Taylor Swift concert according to Disney).

When something’s actually doing well they’ll just put out numbers that line up with a third-parties number or just use a third party’s figure.

Edited by AJG

What would make this a flop??? this will make more than saltburns whole domestic run opening weekend. Probably close to double. 

Edited by ban1o

2 hours ago, ban1o said:

What would make this a flop??? this will make more than saltburns whole domestic run opening weekend. Probably close to double. 

I think the issue is the $50 million budget and marketing budget was definitely huge too. I’m assuming $100 million worldwide might allow this to at least break even. 

5 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I mean they've gotta be looking at Anyone but You (also an R-rated star vehicle for a Euphoria actress) and hoping... 

romantic comedy released during holidays vs threesome tennis movie with unlikable characters?  Like mind you Anyone But you opened to like 6 million 

Edited by ban1o

Yeah the movie definitely is not a crowd pleasure. The movie has a lot of lows, the anglophone reviews are in a total overrated territory (in europe they are way more tepid) but it's a very interesting and especially well directed movie. I wouldn't even say it's really erotic, as most Guadagnino movies is more sensual than real erotic (basically there isn'a true complete or real scene of people actually staying there naked to make sex). Of course he's very novelle vague on his gaze so you always feel his precence and the movie it's very homoerotic. 

IMO the biggest problem of the film it's on the acting. Sorry but Zendaya is just an average at best actress. She absolutely doesn't have the range for a role like this, she only works in the initial part when she is supposed to be younger and naive and then for the 80% of her precense it's so one note, monotous, unable to give to the character the complexity should have. If you have a movie with a very "basic" story and the only interesting things about the story is what's stays under the surface and in the "not said" of the characters actors are the most important thing you have to choice, if you have people give the most superficial interpration of characters feelings in every scene the movie lose almost anything.

But i understand the only reason people know about this film it's her and more than that, the film probably exists only because she produced it. 

Josh O' Connor is usually a great actor he misses something too and goes on a very superificial mood in some of the scenes.

The real stand out it's Mike Faist. Really, what an actor he's here. 

One of the Guadagnino great talents it's really to make actors are not "desiderable" (at least for most people and in the most stereotyped way) the sexiest actors you can have in the span of 2 hours of a movie. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 2

4 hours ago, vale9001 said:

Yeah the movie definitely is not a crowd pleasure. The movie has a lot of lows, the anglophone reviews are in a total overrated territory (in europe they are way more tepid) but it's a very interesting and especially well directed movie. I wouldn't even say it's really erotic, as most Guadagnino movies is more sensual than real erotic (basically there isn'a true complete or real scene of people actually staying there naked to make sex). Of course he's very novelle vague on his gaze so you always feel his precence and the movie it's very homoerotic. 

IMO the biggest problem of the film it's on the acting. Sorry but Zendaya is just an average at best actress. She absolutely doesn't have the range for a role like this, she only works in the initial part when she is supposed to be younger and naive and then for the 80% of her precense it's so one note, monotous, unable to give to the character the complexity should have. If you have a movie with a very "basic" story and the only interesting things about the story is what's stays under the surface and in the "not said" of the characters actors are the most important thing you have to choice, if you have people give the most superficial interpration of characters feelings in every scene the movie lose almost anything.

But i understand the only reason people know about this film it's her and more than that, the film probably exists only because she produced it. 

Josh O' Connor is usually a great actor he misses something too and goes on a very superificial mood in some of the scenes.

The real stand out it's Mike Faist. Really, what an actor he's here. 

One of the Guadagnino great talents it's really to make actors are not "desiderable" (at least for most people and in the most stereotyped way) the sexiest actors you can have in the span of 2 hours of a movie. 

Well said and I agree about Zendaya. I said the same thing in the other thread. I buy her as a teen, less so as a wife and mom. 

Edited by Flopped
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Probably the most satisfying ending to a movie in like a year. Luca should make more stuff like this. Quite honestly find him to be a lot better filmmaker when he keeps the romantic yearning to a minimum (which is why Suspiria and this are his best films).

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Probably the most satisfying ending to a movie in like a year. Luca should make more stuff like this. Quite honestly find him to be a lot better filmmaker when he keeps the romantic yearning to a minimum (which is why Suspiria and this are his best films).

what is the ending?

I went to see this because of all the raving I saw online towards its style and formal experimentations but...it's mostly just the final 10-15 minutes when it gets REALLY interesting. The rest was fine, didn't find any of it bad perse but nothing engaged me, I'll forget about it by the end of the week. Zendaya remains a better presence than she does an actor.