Box Office Hit

Challengers | April 26, 2024 | MGM | Zendaya | Luca Guadagnino to Direct

27 minutes ago, Box Office Hit said:

oh so it's not that low budget. The also invested a lot in promotion. Not easy to became a success only from theaters.

anyways it's amazon so it doesn't have to make 150M. 

Edited by vale9001

16 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Looks like a flop. Not business for a movie like this to cost 55M

Thankfully it’s from Amazon, the same company that paid 70-90 million dollars to make Air and 75 million for Saltburn, so I doubt they’re really too concerned. No serious person would expect an R-rated tennis film to make bank at the box office.

One of the few good things about tech companies owning studios.

• Like 7

They seem pretty happy to keep working with Luca, they've already got another project lined up with him. Also he's got another movie already shot releasing later so even if this only made like $5 mil total it won't be his lasting impression.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

They seem pretty happy to keep working with Luca, they've already got another project lined up with him. Also he's got another movie already shot releasing later so even if this only made like $5 mil total it won't be his lasting impression.

Also, wasn't the original plan to make this go direct to streaming? if it does well that's a plus but i'm sure i'll do crazy in streaming and that's probably why amazon was interested in it

1 hour ago, Speedorito said:

Thankfully it’s from Amazon, the same company that paid 70-90 million dollars to make Air and 75 million for Saltburn, so I doubt they’re really too concerned. No serious person would expect an R-rated tennis film to make bank at the box office.

Yeah if this gets buzz like Saltburn did I'm sure Amazon would be thrilled.

Edited by Last Man Standing

It only really matters if you still take the "budget breakeven" rule as gospel for a box office performance, which no one should. It's their money, and I think given Luca's past box office performances I'm sure Amazon won't hold it against anyone if it doesn't do $140 mil worldwide.

The budget for Challengers was made with Amazon MGM 2 years ago when they were spending like drunken sailors....160m for Air, A movie called Red Shirt in development....Tatum to be paid $25 million, Leitch to get $18 million, with Kinberg nabbing $8 million for his services.  The deals made in 2021 and 2022 by Amazon MGM are insane.

Since, the start of the year Amazon has been laying off several hundred employees at Prime Video and Amazon MGM Studios. 

I don't think this budget or deal is made today for Challengers.

2 hours ago, Speedorito said:

They're just doing what they did when they killed other businesses. They eat the losses.

Unfair labor practices would still be a problem regardless of how "reasonable" the reported budget was for this. Not sure I like the implication that an acclaimed auteur movie is responsible for people losing their jobs.