Box Office Hit

Challengers | April 26, 2024 | MGM | Zendaya | Luca Guadagnino to Direct

6 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Grace Randolph found this to be pretty "nuanced" and "tasteful" compared to Poor Things and Saltburn so I'm guessing it's on the tamer side unless you don't even watch HBO. Coz that woman was originally scared of the first trailer too and said it felt like a party that got too wild and she'd be calling her mom to pick her up 😝

I haven’t seen Poor Things but you do see both penis and buttocks in Challengers lol

1 hour ago, ban1o said:

Poor Things had to be cut in the UK to get an 18 rating. Challengers has a 15 rating so 🤷‍♀️

Poor Things actually wasn’t cut. The BBFC gave advice to the distributor based on an unfinished version of the film where they requested the reframing of a scene involving under 18’s being present during a sex scene. For the final theatrical version these changes had been made, and this is the version that released worldwide.

2 hours ago, joselowe said:

Poor Things only made $34 million in the USA, I’m not sure Zendaya can pull the same internationally and apparently it’s going to be banned in China although I don’t know how true that is. 

China wasnt a big market for this anyways. Tennis movies have always been tough sells. If this becomes the highest grossing tennis movie ever I would consider that a win. 

• Like 1

I watched it last night and it's going to inspire so much fanfic. Who knows how Film TikTok will handle the sensuality...

3 hours ago, babz06 said:

China wasnt a big market for this anyways. Tennis movies have always been tough sells. If this becomes the highest grossing tennis movie ever I would consider that a win. 

Match Point (2005) has a worldwide gross of $85.6 million. That looks to be the one to beat, unless there's some big IP thing with tennis scenes that technically lets it count as a "tennis movie" (the way Wonder Woman makes the lists of World War 1 films).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I watched it last night and it's going to inspire so much fanfic. Who knows how Film TikTok will handle the sensuality...

Match Point (2005) has a worldwide gross of $85.6 million. That looks to be the one to beat, unless there's some big IP thing with tennis scenes that technically lets it count as a "tennis movie" (the way Wonder Woman makes the lists of World War 1 films).

No one considers that a tennis movie. I don’t recall if there were even any tennis scenes, the main character was just a retired tennis player. lol.  It seems like  Wimbledon is the one to beat (41m)  

Edited by babz06

3 hours ago, babz06 said:

No one considers that a tennis movie. I don’t recall if there were even any tennis scenes, the main character was just a retired tennis player. lol.  It seems like  Wimbledon is the one to beat (41m)  

I don't primarily think of Match Point that way either, but the sources that do include:

Rotten Tomatoes

Wikipedia

The Hollywood Reporter (the photo for Match Point is Jonathan Rhys Meyers playing tennis, lol)

Esquire

Town & Country (not a movie mag but pretty plugged into the country club set)

Hey, I don't make the rules... Maybe they're stretching the definition because it's not an extensive list.

I think Challengers was wise to lead the advertising with the sexiness, because people going into it expecting the typical American "sports movie" wouldn't be able to handle this.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

1 hour ago, toutvabien said:

Sooo who gets naked in this

Josh O Connell a few times

A few tennis extras (locker-room)

Zendaya partially, thong in two scenes and a completely see through bra

Edited by joselowe
  • Like 1
  • Heart 1

On 4/22/2024 at 9:56 PM, Speedorito said:

This was the film of the year for me. It was shot beautifully and the score was incredible. A fair amount of timeline shifts but it wasn’t hard to keep up. All three leads were at the top of their game.

The late April release will make it challenging but I could definitely see multiple Oscar nominations for this film, particularly Score. Hopefully Zendaya can pull a Julia Roberts/Erin Brockovich and secure a nomination.

If it was 2004 instead of 2024 it could’ve pulled a big audience in theaters, but it’ll definitely find an audience on streaming.

9.5/10

@Dreadnought not sure why you gave me a “Knock it Off” reaction for this harmless comment but…sorry you didn’t like the film I guess? Lol

10 hours ago, joselowe said:

Just ordered my ticket, the blu ray, and the board game tie in.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

they requested the reframing of a scene involving under 18’s being present during a sex scene. 

Isn't technically any sex scene involving Bella... just exactly that?

Lanthimos always breaks my brain with stuff like that.

Edited by Celedhring

11 hours ago, joselowe said:

Just ordered my ticket, the blu ray, and the board game tie in.

• Haha 4