Eric the Marxist

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 | December 20, 2024

2/28 is wide open right now if they want at least one week of IMAX/PLF play (which they're going to struggle to get against Mufasa - those formats will naturally choose the movie whose immediate predecessor made $1.6B worldwide over the one whose previous entry made a fraction of that total globally). Christmas seems like a poor fit for this anyway, they should keep that early year time frame.

33 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m officially at the point where I’m questioning the lack of a trailer. 

1. Sonic the Hedgehog 2's trailer came out just under 4 months from release.  We have yet to hit that point yet.

2. Aquaman 2 & Spider-Man: No Way Home had trailer in late-August/early-September and turned out fine to even better than fine

3. As long as the trailer is released before the 1-2 punch of Transformers & Wild Robot, then it'll be just fine as that's the most important kick-off to marketing.  And you think Transformers is NOT going to have the next Paramount trailer before it?

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

2/28 is wide open right now if they want at least one week of IMAX/PLF play (which they're going to struggle to get against Mufasa - those formats will naturally choose the movie whose immediate predecessor made $1.6B worldwide over the one whose previous entry made a fraction of that total globally). Christmas seems like a poor fit for this anyway, they should keep that early year time frame.

Put Sonic 3 on Chrismas Day or 12/13, if they MUST move away from Mufasa.

Avatar being kicked to 2025 was a huge gift, Sonic better not waste those holiday legs by moving to 2025.

Edited by Mojoguy

6 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Move Sonic 3 to Chrismas Day or 12/13, if they MUST move away from Mufusa.

Avatar being kicked to 2025 was very good luck, Sonic better not waste those holiday legs by moving to 2025.

Kraven the Hunter has already claimed IMAX/PLF screens for 12/13 and the animated Lord of the Rings movie releasing that same weekend is also being touted as an IMAX release (assume they'll split screens). Paramount's issues these days means that they could probably use more time getting the promo money together (since Transformers/Smile/Gladiator are all locked into their 2024 dates at this point).

Edited by filmlover

25 minutes ago, John Marston said:

It was dumb idea not to release a trailer on front of the summer movies. Also Lion King will have all the premium screens so moving this would not be a bad idea 

They'll probably split PLFs between the 2

23 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Leaving the holiday spot would be pretty stupid if you ask me. I seriously doubt Sonic the Hedgehog is the kind of movie franchise that’s begging to be seen in IMAX anyway. 

For sure, get that sweet Dec holiday legs.

19 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

They'll probably split PLFs between the 2

Hopefully. I don't see Mufasa being so big that everything crumbles around it, Avatar 3 yes, Mufasa no.

DanielRPK is pretty hit or miss, but assuming he’s right, it would mean the trailer would play in front of Beetlejuice, which does sound like a better choice than If. It’s also pretty much the exact same window that NWH had between its first trailer and its release. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Paramount would be leaving a ton of money on the table moving this away from Xmas. Mufasa or no Mufasa.

Yup. I’d say Sonic is different enough from Mufasa to work as counter-programming, especially since theres no Illumination or Dreamworks film coming out this December.  

57 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Paramount would be leaving a ton of money on the table moving this away from Xmas. Mufasa or no Mufasa.

The holiday legs are a must, this definitely isn't a franchise reliant on PLF to succeed to the point where it needs to give up the Christmas holiday business. And even if they can't negotiate a PLF split on opening, if the movie does well then maybe the theaters will be able to allocate it some PLFS after the 1-2 weeks that Disney locks down. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

DanielRPK is pretty hit or miss, but assuming he’s right, it would mean the trailer would play in front of Beetlejuice, which does sound like a better choice than If. It’s also pretty much the exact same window that NWH had between its first trailer and its release. 

He's spot on when it comes to marketing material. So I guess this means the movie is making it to December after all. It'll suck for me to have to wait a month until we get the movie, but the holiday period is far too lucrative to let go of for Paramount, especially not now when they have a big, appealing product for that slot this year. Either way, the wait finally ends next Tuesday.

13 hours ago, WebSurfer said:

Anyone know where this is happening?

Isn't there a company that works on early access tickets They usually have at least cities listed.

Or maybe it's playing in one of the empty Crow showings.