Fullbuster

Russia Box Office

I remember when we were discussing the international prospects of ASM2, the markets where it was surmised it would increase the most was Asia (China Japan and so on, maybe even places like Indonesia and Malaysia too) and Russia.  Now the political issues in Russia right now might suppress the box office this year.  But you can't deny that the box office of ASM2 is not where we all thought it would be internationally.  Many of us thought it would drop domestically and that remains to be seen.  But international numbers do not look good so far. 

• Like 1

I remember when we were discussing the international prospects of ASM2, the markets where it was surmised it would increase the most was Asia (China Japan and so on, maybe even places like Indonesia and Malaysia too) and Russia.  Now the political issues in Russia right now might suppress the box office this year.  But you can't deny that the box office of ASM2 is not where we all thought it would be internationally.  Many of us thought it would drop domestically and that remains to be seen.  But international numbers do not look good so far. 

Not just political issues, the economy was quite bad before the crisis in Ukraine, it just accelerated it.

But yeah, the OS box office for TASM2 is quite disappointing...The numbers are not bad at all but we expected more, that's for sure!

• Like 1

Sure, the numbers aren't bad, it's just not increasing the everyone, including myself, thought it would.  At this rate, even with a 100M gross in China, it might not pass the 490 mill of the first one.

• Like 1

Sure, the numbers aren't bad, it's just not increasing the everyone, including myself, thought it would.  At this rate, even with a 100M gross in China, it might not pass the 490 mill of the first one.

This! Chances for under-700 WW look better with each hour. :) At least here reactions are very, very poor even from GA - one mom wrote how she took her sons (9 & 11) to ASM2 and they all hate that movie and think it's freaking boring.:)

• Like 1

This! Chances for under-700 WW look better with each hour. :) At least here reactions are very, very poor even from GA - one mom wrote how she took her sons (9 & 11) to ASM2 and they all hate that movie and think it's freaking boring. :)

Won't happen.

It's a good movie and it's the mighty Spiderman we're talking about B)

Won't happen.

It's a good movie and it's the mighty Spiderman we're talking about B)

But forget about emotion, isn't the writing on the wall?  It's decreased or opened on par in almost every market so far.  

• Like 1

Even if it stay above $700 M and stays flat, it's not good.

The fact that the production cost and the advertisment expenditures went through the roof, compared to the previous one, is a testament of them expecting a significant increase.  Amy Pascal has been saying they expect $1 billion !

For the life of me, why are those top executives so vocal about setting a high target ?  Didn't they learned from Robinov high expectation with MOS  ?

• Like 2

Even if it stay above $700 M and stays flat, it's not good.

The fact that the production cost and the advertisment expenditures went through the roof, compared to the previous one, is a testament of them expecting a significant increase.  Amy Pascal has been saying they expect $1 billion !

For the life of me, why are those top executives so vocal about setting a high target ?  Didn't they learned from Robinov high expectation with MOS  ?

Actually I am surprised that TASM did what it did. To me it's more like $400M - $500M WW grosser.

Very soulless superhero movie, only slightly better than FF4 & GHOST RIDER1/2

Most likely Nut Job will finish 2nd again. Still a very modest gross for 1864 screens reported.

For some reason May holidays are now almost free of major releases. One local movie based on a TV-show might gross 10m+. But the others are pretty weak for a holiday slot.

1 May

The Railway Man 500 screens - most likely will bomb with very low per screen average

Spies and Gistrup (Denmark) 50 screens - not a chance

The Other Woman - 1100 screens - will do reasonable business here

Olly and the Pirate Treasure - 600 screens - a sure bomb

Under My Skin 300 screens -  the distributor doesn't report grosses so to hell with it.

8 May

The House of Magic - 1300 screens - will gross some money but not a lot. Will have low per screen average

Brick Mansions - 1000 screens - will do moderate business here

Les Gamins (France) - 400 screens - dead on arrival, the distributor doesn't report grosses so to hell with it

The Quiet Ones - 600 screens - below average gross for a horror movie

15 May

Godzilla 1500 screens - huge money here

La Venus a la fourrure - 200 screens - will bomb here

Eyjafjallajökull (France) - 250 screens - a little too late and no one really cares about

Long Way Down - 70 screens - a real miss

Space Pirate Captain Harlock - 600 screens - a little too late

Pelle Politibil på sporet (Norway) 150 screens - not a chance, disastrous per screen  average

Edited by juni78ukr
  • Like 1

Count on my big country. It will explode here. lol

• Like 1