Fullbuster

Russia Box Office

It's mixed. You can see it even on IMDb. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1966566/ratings

But still it's the only russian movie people with mass appeal for a very long time. People talk and write about it. And the advertising campaign is really huge.

Maybe we'll see more ambitious Russian movies like this one in the future given Stalingrad's success?

Still, Stalingrad got no competition from Hollywood so it was helpful, not sure it would succeed against a big franchise like The Hobbit.

Wow, it's always great to see a local movie doing well, especially a big budget movie for Russia like Stalingrad here. Hopefully, that'll encourage local studios/filmmaker to invest more in these types of movies.For those who have watched Stalingrad, is it good would you recommend it?

Wow, it's always great to see a local movie doing well, especially a big budget movie for Russia like Stalingrad here. Hopefully, that'll encourage local studios/filmmaker to invest more in these types of movies.

For those who have watched Stalingrad, is it good would you recommend it?

I didn't watch it but Russian websites say it's very average, mixed feelings about it.

It could be worse though.

I would like Disney to release a movie with Snegurochka :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Snegurochka, also known as the Snow Maiden or Snowy, is a unique character of Russian folklore and an essential part of Russian New Year’s celebrations. The origins of Snegurochka are contradictory. The roots of this feminine character can be found in Slavic pagan beliefs. According to legend, she is the daughter of Father Frost and the Snow Queen.

However, another Russian fairy-tale tells a story of an old man and woman who had always regretted that they did not have any children. In winter they made a girl out of snow. The snow maiden came alive and became the daughter they never had. They called her Snegurochka. But when the summer sun began to warm the land, the girl became very sad.

One day she went into the woods with a group of village girls to pick flowers. It began to get dark and the girls made a fire and began playfully jumping over the flames. Snegurochka also jumped, but suddenly she melted and turned into a white cloud.

In some parts of Russia people still follow the ancient tradition of drowning a straw figure in the river or burning it on the bonfire to dispel the winter. This custom symbolizes the transition from winter to spring.

More here :

http://russiapedia.rt.com/of-russian-origin/snegurochka/

Edited by Sonic
  • Like 1

In last seven days I wrote so many articles about Stalingrad and its grosses that I'm already sick of it. And that's only beginning.

9th opening weekend in RUB 

16th opening weekend in USD

best ever opening weekend in RUB for local movie

2nd best opening weekend in USD for local movie

best opening weekend and opening day in October

3rd opening weekend in 2013

2nd best single day gross in 2013 after Iron Man 3 opening day

2nd best opening weekend IMAX gross

highest ever screen count in Ukraine (167)

• Like 3

In last seven days I wrote so many articles about Stalingrad and its grosses that I'm already sick of it. And that's only beginning.

9th opening weekend in RUB 

16th opening weekend in USD

best ever opening weekend in RUB for local movie

2nd best opening weekend in USD for local movie

best opening weekend and opening day in October

3rd opening weekend in 2013

2nd best single day gross in 2013 after Iron Man 3 opening day

2nd best opening weekend IMAX gross

highest ever screen count in Ukraine (167)

It's impressive :o

By the way, what is the screen count in Russia?

My forecasts for the Russian BO of some movies :

-The Hobbit 2 : $60m

There is 2 local biggies coming next week after Hobbit, both aims for ~30m$, and even more is coming Jan. 1, so it's gonna be legendary hard for him to even earn a 50m$, probably stays at 45m$.

By the way, what is the screen count in Russia?

Edited by Cosmonaut

There is 2 local biggies coming next week after Hobbit, both aims for ~30m$, and even more is coming Jan. 1, so it's gonna be legendary hard for him to even earn a 50m$, probably stays at 45m$.

The Hobbit grossed $50m despite the lack of excitment and snowstorms..TH2 is much more exciting this time, I'm very optimistic, local movies are never an hindrance for these big movies, so it's quite the opposite : they'll suffer from The Hobbit competition.

The Hobbit grossed $50m despite the lack of excitment and snowstorms..TH2 is much more exciting this time, I'm very optimistic, local movies are never an hindrance for these big movies, so it's quite the opposite : they'll suffer from The Hobbit competition.

$43.85m to be exact, and actually there was an excitment(:)), weather was normal, doubt it'll be any higher this year))

Some say that "excitment" is actually lower, because not everybody was pleased with the first, but i think many will come again just to see all 3 parts in cinema(must watch of the year), i personally will go just to see movie in HFR for the second time))

It's hard to say who's gonna suffer(more like nobody, everybody will get their profit) ), but it's clear that Hobbit will lead only 1 week(like the first one did).

Wednesday for Stalingrad looks like 1.9mln

So 22.06 mln opening week.

This weekend: Rush (1200), The Escape Plan (870), The Word's End (300), Romeo and Juliet (320), Las Brujas de Zugarramurdi (280). 

Well, 30m by Sunday and 40m is locked, so at least 50m total(Ukraine and China).

Weekend when copies don't talk, i'll be surprise if Rush wins(2nd spot after Stalingrad).

Maybe we'll see more ambitious Russian movies like this one in the future given Stalingrad's success?

Still, Stalingrad got no competition from Hollywood so it was helpful, not sure it would succeed against a big franchise like The Hobbit.

yeah sadly there will be more bs movies like Stalingrad in the future  :(

I would like Disney to release a movie with Snegurochka :

'Frozen' was first

but hopefully Menitsa or other animated studios will do smth like this

i personally will go just to see movie in HFR for the second time))

I missed it the 1st time

did u like HFR??

seeing 'Rush' today! :bouncy:

hopefully this will be a better opening day experience than Elysium for me

still mad i wasted more moey on that film that i should have :D

Edited by Leyla

$43.85m to be exact, and actually there was an excitment( :)), weather was normal, doubt it'll be any higher this year))

Some say that "excitment" is actually lower, because not everybody was pleased with the first, but i think many will come again just to see all 3 parts in cinema(must watch of the year), i personally will go just to see movie in HFR for the second time))

It's hard to say who's gonna suffer(more like nobody, everybody will get their profit) ), but it's clear that Hobbit will lead only 1 week(like the first one did).

Well, 30m by Sunday and 40m is locked, so at least 50m total(Ukraine and China).

Weekend when copies don't talk, i'll be surprise if Rush wins(2nd spot after Stalingrad).

No, it's a lie! The weather hampered last year, snowstorms decreased its OW, I perfectly remember it because it was so frustrating!

And the excitment is clearly HIGHER! Do you know why? The last trailer excited a lot of people, everybody now bets on bigger numbers.

No, it's a lie! The weather hampered last year, snowstorms decreased its OW, I perfectly remember it because it was so frustrating!

And the excitment is clearly HIGHER! Do you know why? The last trailer excited a lot of people, everybody now bets on bigger numbers.

How is it a lie if it is standart winter weather in Russia?)

WW maybe higher, but not here, WW do not simply apply to Russia, there is no localized version of the last trailer yet, and overall reactions are quite mixed...

And what "bigger numbers"? How bigger can they be? +20% tops.

my Q is wether the Butler is released here at all

probs will be considered too american  :(

Walter Mitty opens on Jan 1 btw  :wub: Finally something i can be happy cashing in on NY holidays!

Edited by Leyla

I missed it the 1st time

did u like HFR??

Very much, you see everything in action scenes, adaptation to such fast fps is quick, all complaints were subjective, objectively it is a better format, besides, movie was shot in 48 fps, so it's the only right way to see it. I wish more movies was shot in HFR.Sadly, there is only fake hfr trailers for Hobbit, they look much worse than the actual movie.

• Like 1

How is it a lie if it is standart winter weather in Russia?)

WW maybe higher, but not here, WW do not simply apply to Russia, there is no localized version of the last trailer yet, and overall reactions are quite mixed...

And what "bigger numbers"? How bigger can they be? +20% tops.

Some people think it can pass Iron Man 3 WW, that won't be easy at all but not impossible :)