Morbius (2022)  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

A lethargic mess that was clearly chopped up in the editing room over the course of its nearly two year delay. The character motivations are poorly-defined, the action is at times hard to make out, and even the usually energetic (if nothing else) Jared Leto appears to have been sedated every time before the camera started rolling (in fact Matt Smith is the only actor to show a pulse of any kind). There will be worse movies in 2022 than this, but if Sony is looking to expand their Spider-Man universe, they're gonna have to try a lot harder than creatively bankrupt efforts like this. C-

I have no opinion or take about this. Nothing to say. It hardly registers or plays on screen. Inspired no reaction from me. It's visually illegible and borderline incoherent. How much longer are we gonna keep doing these underlit 3rd act battles of CGI blobs in darkness? No reasonable character arcs or development. No motivation. Not an inspired performance or setpiece. Leto is sleepwalking, Matt Smith is anemic. No horror, no emotion, no levity, no romance, no camp, no excitement, no thrill, no tension. It just lays there on screen. What's this super power? He zooms as a purple blob? He wants blood? The bats are introduced without any true establishment or context. Everything felt so obligatory and in service of nothing but corporate capitalism. At least is was short?

As bad as this genre can get. 

There’s a potentially interesting movie buried somewhere inside Morbius, but the product that appears onscreen is a messy affair that feels like it was cobbled together haphazardly. What could possibly be an interesting horror-thriller about forcing the title character to confront becoming a monster as the unintended consequence of his ambition instead becomes a dull action film that gets progressively dumber until it reaches an unintentionally silly conclusion. There’s constantly a sense that everyone involved wants to make something darker and more thoughtful, yet they’re forced into taking a villain and retrofitting him for a heroic formula – a similar problem to the first Venom film in this shared universe. There is also so little connective tissue between some events and such long stretches where certain characters don’t appear onscreen that I can’t help but wonder how much content was jettisoned in the editing bay. Jared Leto is decent enough in the title role, bringing a haunted energy to the character that suggests that he (and perhaps also director Daniel Espinosa) wanted to do something more compelling than what appeared on the page. At the very least, it’s a far more palatable performance than the one he turned in during his previous comic book movie foray as the Joker in Suicide Squad. The biggest misfire in the cast is Doctor Who alum Matt Smith, who does well enough with his character’s emotional beats but becomes cringe-inducing when trying to lean into over-the-top villainous qualities. It’s a shame that Morbius ends up being so dumb and dull. Based on the source material and some of the elements the filmmakers occasionally flirt with, it could have been a different, darker, and moodier entry in the universe it occupies; as is, it suffers at the insistence on contorting itself to meet a safer, more boring formula that feels noticeably out-of-step with what this kind of film ideally ought to be.

C-

One of the worst big budget studio movies I have ever seen. Shocking would be an understatement of my reaction during all of this. Matt Smith is literally the only remotely positive thing about it. Everything else is a disaster. I wonder what were they thinking when they greenlighted this script.

• Astonished 1