Eric Burnett

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire | March 22, 2024

Caught this over the weekend, and liked it. In fact I’d say that “likability” is easily the film’s biggest strength. Everyone involved is clearly having fun, and they are all talented actors giving great performances. It’s just too bad that they don’t have better material to work with. GB:FE is hopeless muddled, caught between trying to be a family drama, a comedy and a nostalgia vehicle and succeeding at being none of the above. None of these elements are bad in their own right, but they never coalesce and don’t have enough juice on their own to be satisfying.

The nostalgia stuff feels a lot like studio notes or a fear on the part of the filmmakers that long time fans will abandon the franchise if they aren’t there. I don’t think that’s the case, at least it’s not for me, who thought Afterlife was a nice handoff to a new gen. A lot of the comedy, from Oswalt’s cameo to all of Kumali Ali felt shoehorned in, like they realized, oh crap, we have a family drama going, quick make it funny, which of course doesn’t work.

If they go any further with this, and I hope they do, I’m fine with moving to a more family-based dramedy style, which I think could work well with the new cast. But they really need to make a decision and stick with it, whatever they do, and quit trying to be all things to all audiences. 7/10.

• Like 2

Leaked online - what's interesting is that this is a leak from RUSSIA. Looks like Sony have quietly started to release their movies in Russia again (digitally at least). I imagine the other studios will follow (if they haven't started already).

3 hours ago, AJG said:

Leaked online - what's interesting is that this is a leak from RUSSIA. Looks like Sony have quietly started to release their movies in Russia again (digitally at least). I imagine the other studios will follow (if they haven't started already).

So what I'm reading is that studios only pretend to care so they can get brownie points for having standards and then they later quietly undo them behind the scenes.