Eric S'ennui

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire | March 22, 2024

3 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

People can have opinions different than yours, hon.

yeah but when this is literally the only place seeing people proclaim love for the 2016 film and saying that it is better than the 1984 movie, it definitely is strange

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 6

both the 2016 and 2021 movies suck for different reasons.

the 2016 movie was awful annoying slapstick.

GB: Afterlife was a weird Stranger Things knockoff that turned into a rehash of the original film. Also it was a strange business decision to have the original GB's only show up for a brief cameo at the end. 

Ghostbusters 2 while a step down from the first is solid and not bad at all. Vigo the Carpathian was actually scary as fuck as a kid. Scenes like Venkman's talk show and the Titanic scene are so memorable that for a while I assumed they were scenes from the first movie.

Honestly, one weird thing the main Ghostbusters movies do is try to make the GB's either discredited or some forgotten urban legend. Why? It makes no sense. 

Edited by John Marston

35 minutes ago, John Marston said:

yeah but when this is literally the only place seeing people proclaim love for the 2016 film and saying that it is better than the 1984 movie, it definitely is strange

I mean it's only like 2 or 3 people doing this. Not really this huge cult following folks here are trying to parrot. And I'm still not sure why this is "strange", but go off I guess.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, John Marston said:

both the 2016 and 2021 movies suck for different reasons.

the 2016 movie was awful annoying slapstick.

GB: Afterlife was a weird Stranger Things knockoff that turned into a rehash of the original film. Also it was a strange business decision to have the original GB's only show up for a brief cameo at the end. 

Ghostbusters 2 while a step down from the first is solid and not bad at all. Vigo the Carpathian was actually scary as fuck as a kid. Scenes like Venkman's talk show and the Titanic scene are so memorable that for a while I assumed they were scenes from the first movie.

Honestly, one weird thing the main Ghostbusters movies do is try to make the GB's either discredited or some forgotten urban legend. Why? It makes no sense. 

Ghostbusters 2 is awful. Unlikeable characters, basically no laughs and and an over reliance on special effects. To me it's just as bad as Ghostbusters 2016.  I truely can't see how someone can say 2 is solid while 2016 is awful, that's gotta be nostalgia talking. 

Just now, SaltyPistola said:

Ghostbusters 2 is awful. Unlikeable characters, basically no laughs and and an over reliance on special effects. To me it's just as bad as Ghostbusters 2016.  I truely can't see how someone can say 2 is solid while 2016 is awful, that's gotta be nostalgia talking. 

It's like Home Alone 2 where people only like it because they were 10 when they first saw it. It's the ground zero of all the other movies and all the same problems they share.

• Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, SaltyPistola said:

because 2 has the original cast, and as some good creepy moments. Like the first it remembers to play its actual ghost/monster threat straight 

the 2016 movie is just awful over the top slapstick  where  they don’t take a single thing seriously 

We would definitely see more people (within the industry in particular) fighting back against the backlash towards the '16 movie today than we did 8 years ago when the overall perception of "fandoms" wasn't nearly as accepted as toxic as it is today, especially when a not insignificant portion of it was aimed directly at the cast (the treatment of Leslie Jones was especially disgusting). It's gotten so bad that even the Razzies have been forced to clean up their image (such as it's always been) a bit following a series of mean-spirited controversies (that they, admittedly, brought on themselves).

Only watched one Ghostbusters film and that was the 2016 and it wasn't my cup of tea.

Maybe I will watch the original some day but don't have the zeal to do it.

Yeah we know all about the toxicity and can argue it all day long but this movie wasn't greatly recieved. It's not in the "divisive" category.

As some one viewing it as general audience,with zero attachment to franchise or characters .

it was just  poorly excuted comedy. Was cringing or not really funny for large  sections of the time.

Don't know anything about the franchise. But to me  . It feels dated and I suspect that's how most in Gen Z crowd feels .

Edited by Liiviig 1998

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire MiniTC2 Final

Previews - 8032/71000 (249 showings) $97K

Very good finish here. Normally this would mean $4.75M+ previews. 

I was seeing this in NY AMC theaters as well, the last shows got REALLY good walk ups.

and I have just figured out the reason: Good WoM (86% on RT). Nowadays people get to know their friends opinion sooner than ever.

Frozen Empire has debuted few hours ago with 86% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes. On par with Kung Fu Panda, which means it may also get a score at the A range on Cinema Score (KFP4 86% RT, A- Cinema Score)

I told you @Porthos audience score would be great, didn’t I?

Out of last 4 Ghostbusters movies, critics only gave once a really good score to a GB sequel, this was to 2016 GB female reboot (75% on RT). And guess what, that was the only sequel that had a rotten score from audience (49%) lol 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, leoh said:

I was seeing this in NY AMC theaters as well, the last shows got REALLY good walk ups.

and I have just figured out the reason: Good WoM (86% on RT). Nowadays people get to know their friends opinion sooner than ever.

Frozen Empire has debuted few hours ago with 86% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes. On par with Kung Fu Panda, which means it may also get a score at the A range on Cinema Score (KFP4 86% RT, A- Cinema Score)

Out of last 4 Ghostbusters movies, critics only gave once a really good score to a GB sequel, this was to 2016 GB female reboot (75% on RT). And guess what, that was the only sequel that had a rotten score from audience (49%) lol 

86% in verified era is mixed at best for a franchise. that said I do not want to make this a convo for this thread.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, leoh said:

The problem with your argument here is the misguided assumption that a 86% verified audience score is good (Kung Fu Panda is a bad comp). It is not. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

86% in verified era is mixed at best for a franchise. that said I do not want to make this a convo for this thread.

86% on RT normally matches A- on cinema score, not a rule of course. But what is more relevant: to get 86% audience score on RT you have to have AT THE VERY LEAST 4.2 stars (on average) from audience. I mean if this is what you wanna called “mixed” or “bad” WoM… ok, it’s up to you. :) 

Edited by leoh

86 does not normally match A-. B+ is the norm for that score. Shazam 2 is the better comp, that has the same verified RT audience score.

If it leans more toward families, an A- is still possible, but this is not a good start and certainly doesn't suggest strong word-of-mouth.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, John Marston said:

I’m not proclaiming love for it. I just thought it was decent, and I didn’t like the original.

i only watched the original films as an adult in the 2010s so I have no nostalgia for it.

Edited by Avatree

8 minutes ago, leoh said:

which had good legs: 3,2x OW.

2,90x OW actually, awful legs for DEC

and yes starting with 86% for a live action franchise is usually an horrible sign, possible B+ incoming along with muted OW, is shaping to be the first somewhat big disappointment of the year 

• Like 1