Eric Prime

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

35 minutes ago, JohnCarterofEarth said:

This movie will depend entirely on WOM. So if this gets anything less than stellar reviews it will flop. 

That was always the case, tbh. That's what ultimately sunk Lightyear. 

After looking at initial show allocation, this movie looks in a terrible situation as I expected. I will keep reiterating this date does not work at all for this movie. Its going to have a terrible OW for sure. Lowest Pixar opener since the 1st Toy Story and that was a 5 day Thanksgiving opener is a strong possibility. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

I do think Elemental bombing would mean a hold on original greenlights until at least Elio comes out and a fast tracked Toy Story 5. Probably lower budgets for everything downstream as well.

I can't imagine they'd slash Pixar's budgets to the point where they can't innovate or push boundaries. Iger's not that sort of CEO. 

• Like 1

Yeah the marketing has definitely gone into overdrive today, still can't say I'm that thrilled with what they're deciding to promote but I admit I don't have a great read on how effective contextless visual gags are on the target audience.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I can't imagine they'd slash Pixar's budgets to the point where they can't innovate or push boundaries. Iger's not that sort of CEO. 

Those most movies cost too much money, and a bloated budget isn't going to help push the boundaries of an animated movie at all. You can get some damn good animation at a significantly smaller budget than what Pixar spends.

Get those movies down to $75m - outsource the work to India. 

spider-verse only cost 90m and i think we all agree it pushed all the boundaries of animation, its not my money but it makes no sense for movies like strange world to run 150m budget or turning red at 175m

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

Those most movies cost too much money, and a bloated budget isn't going to help push the boundaries of an animated movie at all. You can get some damn good animation at a significantly smaller budget than what Pixar spends.

Get those movies down to $75m - outsource the work to India. 

Slashing the budgets to $75m would have a notable effect and I can't imagine Disney would close down Emeryville and Burbank without getting major backlash. Even Mario was $100m which is more than Illumination's average and I imagine Spider-Verse in the $100m range. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

spider-verse only cost 90m and i think we all agree it pushed all the boundaries of animation, its not my money but it makes no sense for movies like strange world to run 150m budget or turning red at 175m

A lot of it is due to being in Vancouver. I would say with Lightyear and Strange World, the money was on screen.

It's funny that Pixar gets slack for high budgets but a Marvel film or a DC film that costs about the same doesn't. 

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Slashing the budgets to $75m would have a notable effect and I can't imagine Disney would close down Emeryville and Burbank without getting major backlash. Even Mario was $100m which is more than Illumination's average and I imagine Spider-Verse in the $100m range. 

Nobody cares, and $100m seems completely reasonable for a toon. These $200m cartoons are insane. 

Those Disney people are better than me though. I would've culled off half the department, after they went boo-hooing about Turning Red, and sent the work to Poland. 

Edited by AJG

1 minute ago, AJG said:

Those Disney people are better than me though. I would've culled off half the department, after they went boo-hooing about Turning Red, and sent the work to Poland. 

It's not Pixar's fault the movie got sent straight to streaming. I'm pretty sure the consensus now is the blame rests entirely on Chapek for why they got screwed over the last few years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Outsourcing would be a very bad look, but I don't think Iger is opposed to slashing budgets if necessary, he's made cutting costs a big platform in his earnings calls. 

Pixar and WDAS along with Marvel and Lucasfilm are the crown jewels of the Walt Disney Company, those are the last things that would have budget cuts. 

I don't think people realise how big a quality a drop going from $150m to $75m would be which is why I think it's unlikely we'll see WDAS and Pixar going to that sort of level for budgets. A trim I could understand but not cutting it to the point where the end product is compromised.

• Like 2