Eric Prime

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

I mean, yes, I acknowledge there's also a possibility it's a colossal mistake of a decision, Indy 5 is evidence of that. But I'm certainly more hopeful with a Cannes presence than without one. If it is in fact good they really need to get the word out somehow and it'd be a mistake to not show it somewhere in advance.

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Berlinale is very far from Cannes lol 

And let’s not pretend Onward doesn’t have an 88% on RT

Well sure but it's not really considered a huge masterpiece by most, I don't think.

• Like 1

I'm confused why most people here think a movie from the director of The Good Dinosaur, which, from the trailer seems to be one of the most bland, generic, Pixar movies ever (almost to the point of seeming like a parody) will somehow get 90s in RT score.

• Knock It Off 1

It's simply a matter of how much faith you want to have in this. They've had lousy advertising and internet peeps dismissing their movies before release since at least the debut of YouTube, and frankly I really don't want to add my voice to the choir of cynicism until there's overwhelming evidence it's justified.

In the interest of full disclosure though, The Good Dinosaur deserved a 90s RT more than the Pixar movie that got it that year in my book.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

I'm confused why most people here think a movie from the director of The Good Dinosaur, which, from the trailer seems to be one of the most bland, generic, Pixar movies ever (almost to the point of seeming like a parody) will somehow get 90s in RT score.

Mainly because Disney movies get it easy by critics.

• Haha 1

Three things have to go right for this movie just to have a chance at success:

1. The final stretch of marketing in the next 3 weeks reaches enough of the GA to put in on their radar

2. Enough people need to be in search of a non-blockbuster, light breezy family film they can take their kids to

3. The word of mouth needs to be stellar.

Now that I think I have a handle on the story of this thing, I think of this movie as a downgraded Zootopia.

I absolutely loved Zootopia though so that's not bad.

"Element City" is a remarkably uncreative name for the setting though.

I mean I guess Pixar is feeling what Marvel is feeling, but Marvel releases so much it's easier for them to get "back" in audience good graces.

Pixar from 1995-2010 released 0 films with a 72 or lower MC score (11 films)

2011-(mid)2017 they released 5 films with a 72 or lower MC score (7 films)

(late)2017-2023 they released 3 films with a 72 or lower MC score (9 films)

All of Pixars films, outside of Cars, has a 7.2/10 or higher on MC's user reviews (except Good Dinosaur and the review bombed Turning Red/Lightyear)

4 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

I mean I guess Pixar is feeling what Marvel is feeling, but Marvel releases so much it's easier for them to get "back" in audience good graces.

Pixar from 1995-2010 released 0 films with a 72 or lower MC score (11 films)

2011-(mid)2017 they released 5 films with a 72 or lower MC score (7 films)

(late)2017-2023 they released 3 films with a 72 or lower MC score (9 films)

All of Pixars films, outside of Cars, has a 7.2/10 or higher on MC's user reviews (except Good Dinosaur and the review bombed Turning Red/Lightyear)

At this point, I think they'd settle for this movie breaking even. 

Whatever happens Pixar seems intent on torturing me as much as possible with their marketing before anyone is able to make judgment on the final product. The movie's Twitter feed released a spot today that's literally just characters getting beat up

8 minutes ago, cannastop said:

why do you think that?

It's harder for Pixar to win people back with a smaller output because by the time their next film comes, the most recent film is what people will think of. 

With Marvel it's easier for them to put out good stuff quickly because they just throw so much out there. In a normal world GOTG3 would've been doomed by Ant-Man, but it held on because there were other things recently that audiences could latch onto.

Just less wiggle room for Pixar now. idk maybe I'm wrong lol

I think Guardians has always been something a little separate from the rest of the Marvel canon, there is a certain experience there with James Gunn helming that isn't really present with the other movies.

I do think even if it's just a subconscious thing the Pixar movies that aren't directed by the veteran braintrust have more of a handicap than say if this were directed by Andrew Stanton instead of Peter Sohn. There isn't a "from the director of" hook here that can be promoted that might at least keep certain cynics on the fence. I think people see through the "from the makers/creators of" thing a little more since pretty much every studio does that.

Watching the Finding Nemo trailer helps me keep this in perspective a little, that looked pretty juvenile as well.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1