Eric Loves Rey

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

Well we wouldn't have WALL-E if they went by that assumption. In any case I'm a lot more interested in that than Inside Out 2. If it's another dud so be it, but just like this movie I'm gonna hold out hope it's not until proven otherwise. 

Edited by AniNate

2 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

So...Zootopia?

Gotta say, no Pixar movie has made me excited to watch it in years (before COVID) and what little interest I had in this has been burned off by the early reviews. Disney+ it later this summer, no rush. This is gonna be another major bomb.

22 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

As I kept saying releasing this in such a busy schedule is a huge blunder. It would have benefited from an open market. Even back in spring it could have opened early March which would have given it a month before Mario opened. Creed/Scream/JW4 dont compete at all as opposed to Spiderverse and releasing same week as Flash is another mistake. On top of it showing the movie that early showed they were blindsided to the reviews seen. After Lightyear they should have been more careful. 

Agreed I know June has always been the traditional Pixar release date spot for good reason with summer but times have changed and unless it's a guaranteed hit it's better to be more selective with the release dates of these films.

12 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Agreed I know June has always been the traditional Pixar release date spot for good reason with summer but times have changed and unless it's a guaranteed hit it's better to be more selective with the release dates of these films.

why would they want to be inconsistent with the releases

And big budget movies shouldn't be released in September... that's just where movies go to die

I don't think anything too drastic needs to be done with Elio yet, but it is the decided underdog in March now and would fare better moved a few weeks earlier or to April. Regardless the main thing that will matter is if the movie is actually good. Any strategy with future originals can be played by ear.

I expect we'll get some updates on Elio in a couple weeks assuming it's getting a trailer with this movie.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, cannastop said:

why would they want to be inconsistent with the releases

And big budget movies shouldn't be released in September... that's just where movies go to die

The only big-budget movie released in September was a smash hit (Shang-Chi). The It movies also did very well in that month.

Studios don't put movies there because they want Summer Weekdays or Thanksgiving/Holiday boosts, but if the competition is tough in those 2 spots like it is this year, then a September release may be superior.

2 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

In light of Elemental's expected poor performance, is it premature to say we might not see another successful original Pixar movie for a very long time? 

Yes it is premature because Elio is up in March

1 hour ago, Boxx93 said:

Disney will cannibalize itself again in March with Elio and Snow White.

KUNG FU PANDA IV also opens on March 8th (a week after ELIO) and SPIDER-MAN: BEYOND THE SPIDER-VERSE on March 29th (a week after SNOW WHITE).

I don't know if Elio is going to do any better but I'd really rather not spend the next nine months verbally digging its grave. Even if this movie didn't turn out great, would it really do any good morale wise to assume that would be its fate months out besides the hollow ultimate satisfaction of being right? I still want Pixar to succeed and still think they are capable of putting out great films, and would hate to see them entirely reduced to the franchise mine.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Boxx93 said:

Disney will cannibalize itself again in March with Elio and Snow White.

I think Snow White is probably going to flop. It will, unfortunately, receive as much hate as TLM and if they don't include the seven dwarfs then this movie is done. Its like not including the Genie in Aladdin or Sebastian in TLM. I hope they keep the budget similar to Cinderella ($90M).