Eric Loves Rey

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

2 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

I think Snow White is probably going to flop. It will, unfortunately, receive as much hate as TLM and if they don't include the seven dwarfs then this movie is done. Its like not including the Genie in Aladdin or Sebastian in TLM. I hope they keep the budget similar to Cinderella ($90M).

OK... why wouldn't there be dwarves?

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

OK... why wouldn't there be dwarves?

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'd love to be, but I read an article that Disney was planning on changing the Dwarves to other type of magical creatures or straight up removing them following up Peter Dinkage criticism on the film. Don't know if that stuck but haven't heard any casting announcements. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AN9815 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'd love to be, but I read an article that Disney was planning on changing the Dwarves to other type of magical creatures or straight up removing them following up Peter Dinkage criticism on the film. Don't know if that stuck but haven't heard any casting announcements. 

They already cast Martin Kleppa as Grumpy.

• Like 1

LA premiere is on the 8th, though I don't imagine things are gonna look much different when the rest of the critics get their say.

Well, I thought heads would only start rolling if they had one more bomb but Pixar just laid off 75 people today including the director and producer of Lightyear. Galyn Susman was the woman who had a copy of Toy Story 2 saved when it accidentally got erased from the studio drive; very sad to see her dispensed.

• Sad 4

Weird to see directors getting "laid" off. Pixar has such a large creative team, that movie is more than just a director. I guess as part of Disney cost cutting, They have do with fewer folks. I wonder if they will be able to recreate the same magic with smaller team. 

I am sure these experience animators will find jobs elsewhere. But its still sad to see because of Disney going full tilt into streaming causing billions of dollars of losses. We are seeing Collateral damage due to that. I put Iger as the chief culprit as the D+ strategy was made when he was there. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

KUNG FU PANDA IV also opens on March 8th (a week after ELIO) and SPIDER-MAN: BEYOND THE SPIDER-VERSE on March 29th (a week after SNOW WHITE).

And while all the other movies might move, Spidey won't, and after this weekend, he won't have to...everyone else will need to respond to that movie's placement.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Weird to see directors getting "laid" off. Pixar has such a large creative team, that movie is more than just a director. I guess as part of Disney cost cutting, They have do with fewer folks. I wonder if they will be able to recreate the same magic with smaller team. 

I am sure these experience animators will find jobs elsewhere. But its still sad to see because of Disney going full tilt into streaming causing billions of dollars of losses. We are seeing Collateral damage due to that. I put Iger as the chief culprit as the D+ strategy was made when he was there. 

It's a mix of both Iger and Chapek. Chapek was in control of the distribution system for movies but Iger allowed him to set up that division when he shouldn't have.

6 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

And while all the other movies might move, Spidey won't, and after this weekend, he won't have to...everyone else will need to respond to that movie's placement.

I actually think it should move to summer 2024.

Those dreaded rumors of Disney merging WDAS and Pixar into one studio might become true if these movies keep flopping the way they do, regardless of the covid situation.

Raya, Strange World, Lightyear, Turning Red, Onward, etc. Those movies ain't cheap to produce.

6 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

Those dreaded rumors of Disney merging WDAS and Pixar into one studio might become true if these movies keep flopping the way they do, regardless of the covid situation.

Raya, Strange World, Lightyear, Turning Red, Onward, etc. Those movies ain't cheap to produce.

Eh, I’ll believe it when I see it. I can’t imagine Iger would ever approve of that considering he was the reason Pixar is under the Disney umbrella in the first place, and why the studios stayed separate after the purchase. If the two merge, he’d basically be admitting defeat at that point and would irreparably damage his own legacy. Doubt he’d want to be known as the Disney CEO that both acquired and dissolved Pixar. More likely he’d just bring new management into the studio and cut their budgets tbh (Would be very ironic if WDAS studio heads are brought in to help revive Pixar considering the reverse happened after the buyout lol).

And that’s not even to mention the distinct work cultures the two studios have and the large backlash they’d face from their own employees from a merge, something that scared the company off from seriously considering a merge in the first place. I mean it’s possible it could under another CEO if the flops keep coming, but with sequels like Inside Out 2 and Toy Story 5 and Incredibles 3 being more likely than not to hit well enough with audiences, I think there’s enough reason to keep the studios separate even considering the Disney+ effect and the recent bombs of Lightyear and Elemental (probably).

I do think there is a certain limit to audience interest even in their franchises. Inside Out and Toy Story both feel very transparently business motivated, and there's no guarantee that people will show up for them if they're just mediocrities. 

That being said I don't think it's very wise still even from a business standpoint to entertain the idea of merging the studios, both of them are having issues at the moment. Much as he had to go because of his behavior, reality is they're both just missing the kind of direct but emotionally distant creative leadership of someone like Lasseter. Disney Animation has kinda rested on their laurels artistically recently and imo it finally bit them w Strange World, and I suspect Docter may just have been too friendly w Maclane and Sohn on a personal level to be able to give them hard truths about issues with their movies; especially Sohn with all the things he's been saying about Elemental being inspired by his personal immigrant family experience. 

Wish and Elio definitely feel like the studios' last chances to prove their organic creative operations are still viable; it's hard for many people to have enthusiasm for their sequels as it is now and further original disappointments would just snuff it out even more.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Boxx93 said:

That won't happen.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Boxx93 said:

Please, no. 😞

On 6/3/2023 at 2:07 AM, kayumanggi said:

KUNG FU PANDA IV also opens on March 8th (a week after ELIO) and SPIDER-MAN: BEYOND THE SPIDER-VERSE on March 29th (a week after SNOW WHITE).

19 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Little Mermaid holding relatively well in its second weekend against Spider-Man opening means Snow White will be fine opening the week before the next Spider-Man since the demographic appeal will be similarly split (one will heavily to girls, the other to boys) and Snow has a lower ceiling for it anyway (more Cinderella than Beauty and the Beast). Elio seems to be staking its claim in early March already (first trailer will be landing soon in time to premiere with this) so Kung Fu Panda will likely end up moving, it all comes down to how much the strike impacts the release schedule.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Little Mermaid holding relatively well in its second weekend against Spider-Man opening means Snow White will be fine opening the week before the next Spider-Man since the demographic appeal will be similarly split (one will heavily to girls, the other to boys) and Snow has a lower ceiling for it anyway (more Cinderella than Beauty and the Beast). Elio seems to be staking its claim in early March already (first trailer will be landing soon in time to premiere with this) so Kung Fu Panda will likely end up moving, it all comes down to how much the strike impacts the release schedule.

We'll see. I have the feeling Universal won't give up the date.

Pixar has been very fortunate that they've had very few flops, even Disney in its early years wasn't immune to the odd flop or three but this is the first time they've had a slump similar to what Disney had in the 1970s and 2000s.

I personally don't want Pixar to shut down and indeed I believe it won't but I suspect they're going to go through a lean period which will be tough for all involved but they will pull through it.