Eric is Quiet

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

9 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

The 1978 Superman sold about 57 million tickets. Batman 89 sold around 63 million tickets. TDK and Spidey '02 each sold around 70 million tickets. 

Thanks!

So, yeah, with that, I can't even imagine a Superman movie essentially doubling the ticket sales of the highest selling Superman movie ever. Seems insane.

Well, then again, there was an opportunity long ago for a Superman movie to sell 100M+ tickets but WB opted to make Wild Wild West instead. Oh, what could have been...

2700.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=forma

superman_lives_teaser_poster_final_by_ve

...I kid, I kid. I'd still have loved to see that movie have been made though.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Thanks!

So, yeah, with that, I can't even imagine a Superman movie essentially doubling the ticket sales of the highest selling Superman movie ever. Seems insane.

Yeah, hard to imagine Superman gaining more popularity than what it had in 1978. That movie had freaking Marlon Brando as Superman's dad for crying out loud. It doesn't get any bigger than that. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, T-ReXXR said:

I wouldn't go that far. An Endgame level release in December with today's prices would get there. 

Endgame I feel would do more or less about the same at Christmas. Smaller OW to O/U $300m, $900m finish. It’s still a CBM.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Yeah, hard to imagine Superman gaining more popularity than what it had in 1978. That movie had freaking Marlon Brando as Superman's dad for crying out loud. It doesn't get any bigger than that. 

Tbf Superman does have that American Angle you could always pull on that....I believe a GREAT superman movie could do more than at least TDK and Spidey 02 Tickets.....

• Like 1

Just now, YourMother said:

Endgame I feel would do more or less about the same at Christmas. Smaller OW to O/U $300m, $900m finish. It’s still a CBM.

Mmhmm, no. On ticket price inflation alone since Endgame came out it goes to over $1B and that's without another ticket sold. Idk what "it's still a CBM" even means. CBM's are the biggest films in the world. 

• Like 3

I still think the craziest movie that sold an overwhelming number of tickets is The Exorcist. I think with inflation it's just over 1B DOM. I mean, I still can't wrap my head around that movie selling that many tickets. It's mindboggling. Not because I don't love it... I fucking love that movie especially the theatrical cut. But, wow. That movie?!? That's nuts to me.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SupermanLego said:

Tbf Superman does have that American Angle you could always pull on that....I believe a GREAT superman movie could do more than at least TDK and Spidey 02 Tickets.....

Sure. I could see that. That still leaves it 30M short of 100M tickets sold though.

Weird thing is Pirates 3 was one of the biggest disappointments back then. I remember months of manic obsession at BOM forums predicting winner of May 2007. All 3 disappointed but to me Pirates 3 opening was a disappointment considering DMC crushed OW record just 10 months earlier and did > 3x legs as well. 

TGM is not bigger than Pirates 3. But we are comparing different eras. In 2022 this is a great opening considering we have not had a non MCU movie break out for past 2 years+. 

• Like 8

Edited by Grebacio
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, T-ReXXR said:

Mmhmm, no. On ticket price inflation alone since Endgame came out it goes to over $1B and that's without another ticket sold. Idk what "it's still a CBM" even means. CBM's are the biggest films in the world. 

$1b sure and yes CBMs are likely going to be the biggest films for the next decade but I don’t think it’d have skew as older as TFA and I still think fan rush would be a large detriment to legs.

Just now, YourMother said:

$1b sure and yes CBMs are likely going to be the biggest films for the next decade but I don’t think it’d have skew as older as TFA and I still think fan rush would be a large detriment to legs.

UHHHHHHHHHM, not so fast. That was last decade, we're now entering a better and brighter future.

7 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Waht. Why on the world would a movie do the same at Christmas as in a normal date. What is “it’s still a CBM” even supposed to mean here — are we to infer that you think NWH or AQM or whatever would have grossed just as high with  schooltime release?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SupermanLego said:

They would have to absolutely nail it of course. I think there is a "diminishing return" aspect to all of these franchises. There was a novelty factor that helped Superman 78, Batman 89, and Spidey '02 reach their levels. As time goes by it's hard to get back to those levels. 

TDK was able to beat Batman '89 ticket numbers because of Heath Ledger's death and insanely good acting performance. That was a flukey situation. The new Spidey was able to beat Spidey '02 ticket numbers by using a kitchen sink approach of nostalgia. They literally grabbed all the actors from the earlier Spider-Man movies and threw them into the same movie. It worked! I guess we still start seeing more of this in the future. Maybe there will be a Superman flick that's able to bring in the likes of Henry Cavill for nostalgia purposes. 

• Like 1

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

I still think the craziest movie that sold an overwhelming number of tickets is The Exorcist. I think with inflation it's just over 1B DOM. I mean, I still can't wrap my head around that movie selling that many tickets. It's mindboggling. Not because I don't love it... I fucking love that movie especially the theatrical cut. But, wow. That movie?!? That's nuts to me.

The Exorcist released at a perfect time for such a movie to be a phenomenon i think. Horror movies in the 50s and 60s were really ... tame compared to what came after them and the 1970s saw the arrival of a new wave of horror movies that shattered previous norms for the genre: Now they were gruesome and in your-face and The Exorcist was the frontrunner.

Also, the 70s were a time of social change in the U.S and ive read various articles that analyzed the success of The Exorcist through the lense of conservatism and catholizism in the US not "understanding" the youth anymore and old values beeing under attack. Megan represents the out-of-control young generation who must be "possessed" by "demons" because otherwise, society as a whole could be questioned. Thats why the movie resonated so well with audiences who felt that something in the american society must be wrong and the demon in the movie functions as a scapegoat, i. e. an explanation.

Ofc, one can disagree with that analysis, but ive always found it very interesting.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

They would have to absolutely nail it of course. I think there is a "diminishing return" aspect to all of these franchises. There was a novelty factor that helped Superman 78, Batman 89, and Spidey '02 reach their levels. As time goes by it's hard to get back to those levels. 

TDK was able to beat Batman '89 ticket numbers because of Heath Ledger's death and insanely good acting performance. That was a flukey situation. The new Spidey was able to beat Spidey '02 ticket numbers by using a kitchen sink approach of nostalgia. They literally grabbed all the actors from the earlier Spider-Man movies and threw them into the same movie. It worked! I guess we still start seeing more of this in the future. Maybe there will be a Superman flick that's able to bring in the likes of Henry Cavill for nostalgia purposes. 

I mean Dominion cramps all previous JP/JW characters in the same movie as well. It seems to be a winning strategy judging by Marvels Team-up movies so lets see if JW can profit from that as well.

1 hour ago, Grebacio said:

They cut EEAO theater count too fast, the PTA actually went up this weekend. With great word of mouth coming off from both streaming and theatrical, there is even a chance for it to break 70m even the strong midweek number.