Eric Duncan

Thunderbolts* | May 2, 2025 | MCU

I don’t get the appeal in this one. It feels too similar to the Suicide Squad movies and the powerset is mainly supersoldiers, Ghost and a Superman-expy. So there’s no diverse or creative powerset to set it apart. Unless it’s out of the world good, I don’t see why this would do strongly.

On 10/14/2023 at 9:18 AM, YM! said:

I don’t get the appeal in this one. It feels too similar to the Suicide Squad movies and the powerset is mainly supersoldiers, Ghost and a Superman-expy. So there’s no diverse or creative powerset to set it apart. Unless it’s out of the world good, I don’t see why this would do strongly.

Wouldn't this have been approved while Gunn was writing The Suicide Squad? 

47 minutes ago, robertman2 said:

What if The Suicide Squad was too scared to have gore, characters with powers, and criticism of US imperialism

That’s honestly what it seems like. Sentry and the writers probably make me think there’ll be themes on mental health, and maybe how the US failed soldiers’ mental health after the war but I think the powerset for the antiheroes seem uninteresting to the GA. There’s a few villains while not household names would add to the powerset, and could help the narrative. Mordo would be a fun addition, as could bringing back Hammer. As of right now, I think it’ll do about the same as The Marvels and probably be one of the lowest grossing MCU films.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Damn, predicting a bomb before even a single frame of footage has been shot. A level of pessimism unseen even on this board.

I mean we do this all the time for a variety of films. I don’t get what the big deal is. I still think Brave New World can do relatively well, as I do think there’s actual anticipation behind that one, and has Hulk stuff and DP3 will probably do around 400/900 DOM/WW even if it’s ass. It’s clear this year that the MCU name can’t sell everything and I have no reason to believe there’s anything special about Thunderbolts. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, YM! said:

I mean we do this all the time for a variety of films. I don’t get what the big deal is. I still think Brave New World can do relatively well, as I do think there’s actual anticipation behind that one, and has Hulk stuff and DP3 will probably do around 400/900 DOM/WW even if it’s ass. It’s clear this year that the MCU name can’t sell everything and I have no reason to believe there’s anything special about Thunderbolts. 

It was like Nut Job Never Again (aka Nut Job 2) - the MINUTE that got approved, it was an obvious bomb in the making...and it was in the reality...

Some movies are clear from the concept stage and budgeting stage that they have no chance...

One from this year was Indy 5...

11 hours ago, Valencia said:

Blade isn’t getting made.

Blade has sets currently built. It was actually going to shoot before Thunderbolts. I have no idea why people assume it's getting scrapped the second the strike ends. Certainly nobody is saying the same about Fantastic Four...despite the fact that Fantastic Four is actually less far along in development , and less successful historically, at least as far as the previous films receptions.

Edited by SpiderByte

This is more of a covert Black Widow 2 than it is a proper Thunderbolts movie.

In other news, the new comic book with the movie roster was cancelled before issue #2 was even solicited and two months before the first issue even hit the shelves, it bodes well if not even the comic readers are interested.

• Astonished 1

17 minutes ago, Masketta Man said:

In other news, the new comic book with the movie roster was cancelled before issue #2 was even solicited and two months before the first issue even hit the shelves, it bodes well if not even the comic readers are interested.

Where are you getting this? #1 is still scheduled for December and #2 for January.

3 minutes ago, Masketta Man said:

January issue was solicited as issue #2 of 4, so it will be a 4-issue miniseries instead of an ongoing like the original announcement.

Marvel often doesn't specify if a title is a miniseries or an ongoing in their initial announcement. Nothing was cancelled, it was always a mini.

39 minutes ago, Masketta Man said:

The first draft reportedly was, this new one isn't.

14 minutes ago, DInky said:

Marvel often doesn't specify if a title is a miniseries or an ongoing in their initial announcement. Nothing was cancelled, it was always a mini.

Issue #1 was solicited with all the pomp and circunstance of their usual ongoings, lots of variants and more importantly no "(of 4)" in the title, it just appeared after the #2 solicit. So yeah, it's a stealth cancellation.

3 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

The first draft reportedly was, this new one isn't.

Did they remove Yelena Belova, Red Guardian and other characters that never been part of the team and added Songbird, Moonstone, Zemo, Venom, Red Hulk? No? Then it's still a poorly disguised Black Widow 2.

• Knock It Off 1

15 minutes ago, Masketta Man said:

Issue #1 was solicited with all the pomp and circunstance of their usual ongoings, lots of variants and more importantly no "(of 4)" in the title, it just appeared after the #2 solicit. So yeah, it's a stealth cancellation.

https://aiptcomics.com/2023/09/21/full-december-2023-marvel-comics-solicitations/

https://www.gamesradar.com/marvel-comics-december-2023-solicits-covers/

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-december-2023-solicitations/

Issue #1 was solicited as 1 of 4.

2 hours ago, DInky said:

Oh sorry, my bad then, the site I checked up had it listed as an ongoing. Either way, having a 4 issue miniseries, not even enough to fill a trade paperback doesn't inspire confidence.

• Like 1