Eric the Ape

Thunderbolts* | May 2, 2025 | MCU

Though I don’t think Yuen walked due to the script issues as if anything the current script seemed written around him once they bought in the Beef crew, and scheduling issues are still a very plausible thing, I do think the reason why we haven’t had a F4 cast announced is definitely due to actor skepticism on being in the MCU for likely another ten years. Especially when the future does look dubious. As for the rest of the cast, I’m not sure they’ll leave but I don’t have much hope in this project financially anyways.

11 minutes ago, YM! said:

Though I don’t think Yuen walked due to the script issues as if anything the current script seemed written around him once they bought in the Beef crew, and scheduling issues are still a very plausible thing, I do think the reason why we haven’t had a F4 cast announced is definitely due to actor skepticism on being in the MCU for likely another ten years. Especially when the future does look dubious. As for the rest of the cast, I’m not sure they’ll leave but I don’t have much hope in this project financially anyways.

I mean, the same person who broke this news about Yeun also has an FF cast they claim is locked in. Just because it hasn't been announced doesn't mean they dont have the cast yet.

Edited by SpiderByte

8 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I mean, the same person who broke this news about Yeun also has an FF cast they claim is locked in. Just because it hasn't been announced doesn't mean they dont have the cast yet.

I buy that they got a cast locked, DCULeaks is pretty reliable, was more so referring to the long cycling in casting. Though it’s retrospective, do think the strikes have some factor on deal-making but iirc the roulette stuff was mainly pre and post Actors strikes.

5 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Are people just making shit up now? 

There isn't some secret reason why he dropped out: the new filming schedule conflicts with his. Why is that so implausible to you guys? Christ. Not everything is secretly a conspiracy.

Do you know anything about Hollywood history?  There is *always* another reason behind whatever is said in PR/press releases.  *Especially* when they say "that was the only reason."  "Scheduling Conflicts" has been synonymous as "creative disagreements" forever.  And in Yuen's particular case, he obviously has more artistically valuable offers on the table...

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2024 at 12:06 AM, marveldcfox said:

When are they cancelling this? 

Marvel is wasting time, energy and money on this. 

I agree. I’m not sure what the purpose of this is. I smell another Eternals.

I don't blame him on choosing to pick other projects rather than participate in this piece of cinematic diarrhea. Maybe in the future he can be in a movie where the creatives actually even looked into the wikipedia article of the comic book they are adapting.

Yeun may have scheduling conflict and genuinely want to work with Marvel but very likely not on this project. After AM3 bomb and The Marvels super bomb, I can imagine that Hollywood agents have become more informed on what is expected to hit (Deadpool 3) or miss (Thunderbolts, Cap 4, movies with untested characters from TV) and they are likely looking for pretext not to put their clients in projected flops.

Edited by Valonqar

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Yeun may have scheduling conflict and genuinely want to work with Marvel but very likely not on this project. After AM3 bomb and The Marvels super bomb, I can imagine that Hollywood agents have become more informed on what is expected to hit (Deadpool 3) or miss (Thunderbolts, Cap 4, movies with untested characters from TV) and they are likely looking for pretext not to put their clients in projected flops.

Nah, you guys gotta eat your crow on this one. The actor literally said the exact reason why he left. You can't just make up some magic algorithm agents are supposedly using that very conveniently lines up with your own personal opinions.

Edited by SpiderByte

Just now, Masketta Man said:

Have you thought that he could have declined the other projects in his schedule instead of Thunderbolts?

Nah, you can't spin this. The actor made a very specific statement that the delays in production caused him to leave, that he apologized to the production for making the decision to leave, that he still wants to work with Marvel in the future, and that Schreir is going to nail it. That doesn't fit the incessant claims from some here that there's "an exodus coming from Marvel" and "he's getting off a sinking ship". You ate it on this one.

14 minutes ago, Masketta Man said:

There's nothing to spin, he choose to put other projects over a top billing role in a major studio tentpole.

Top billing? He's not the main lead. They never even officially announced Sentry as the character he was playing. Top billing is almost certainly Florence Pugh. Now you're just making things up whole cloth.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1

I do buy the scheduling conflict tidbit now that Yeun has confirmed it himself, but I still think the degradation of the Marvel brand factored into that. He could've dropped out of one of the other projects he's attached to, but he chose this one, which could be an indication that he doesn't see this movie as worth it, at least when compared to other projects he has an eye towards. It's definitely going to be unfortunate for Jake Schreier and those writers from Beef to lose someone they saw eye to eye with, but I hope not being killed by Marvel's recent woes keeps them optimistic enough to see this through, find another talent for Sentry, and still try to make a good movie.

I'm just holding on the hope of this situation leading into someone in the upper brass actually looking at the movie, noticing how much of a disaster it is and putting it out of misery, sparing Thunderbolts from being another Inhumans or Eternals because it deserves far more than this.

You know maybe the movie in which only two members has superpowers doesn’t need a 200m budget. A 100-150m budgeted Thunderbolts makes more sense given scale and makes it more likely to be profitable. Considering how the GA has shifted against CBMs last year, a more conservative budget approach for some projects is a smart move. Then again, they didn’t save Shazam 2 or Blue Beetle.