IndustriousAngel

BO Germany/Austria: Deadpool&Wolverine #1

Yep, and it's completely unsure how that will affect BO.

Usually, good weather equals bad BO, but it might get so hot people flee the outdoors and take shelter in air-conditioned theaters :)

So, take this trend for what it's worth, I would peg Ted a tad higher.

What's interesting is the screen allocation at my theater this evening:

Ted gets the biggest screen (4 shows); Prometheus the next biggest (4 shows), followed by "What To Expect" (5 shows), German comedy "Wer's glaubt" (4 shows), and Red Lights! (4 shows) which is a real surprise (the number of shows I mean; presales look poor as expected). TDKR is down to 1 show as are 5YE and RumDiary. Canadian comedy "Starbuck" only gets 2 shows on small screens for its opening; presales are virtually non-existent and I will be surprised if it makes the Top10. As mentioned, screens are really at a premium with the number of adult films competing for an audience. No Brave or IA4 after 4pm!

Do you think Ted could be a little bit like Intouchables ? --> Very good gross on the long term ? Germans like adults comedies apparently with Ted / Intouchables.

Do you think Ted could be a little bit like Intouchables ? --> Very good gross on the long term ? Germans like adults comedies apparently with Ted / Intouchables.

I think it can go as high as 4 million admissions in Germany + Austria combined; less than half of "Intouchables". If it survives this week's onslaught of adult/raunchy comedies, there's no further competition on the horizon - Expendables2 and Total Recall won't harm the Teddy.

Comparing Intouchables and Ted is difficult since Intouchables had a more limited release at first - not really arthouse but not as broad as Ted either. Ted is showing good legs too (this weekend is really the most difficult one) but will never reach the kind of multiplier Intouchables got (which is at 29!!!! atm and counting ... Intouchables opening was less than 300k admissions)

The prediction is for Germany only ... went up from his first estimates (3mil) and I guess we might reach 3,5mil in Germany and 0,5 in Austria for 4million. Considering Ted's really strong in Switzerland too 4mil is virtually locked for the german-speaking market. I hope Germany + Austria can do it between themselves and Switzerland's icing on the cake.Also this weekend's drop is harsh but when you look at the lineup of comedies opening yesterday it's rather a miracle Ted will still be nr.1 in its 3rd WE. It had a fantastic hold last weekend so I don't worry about its WOM at all.

Edited by IndustriousAngel

Weird. You'd think a heatwave would be good for business, being cheap entertainment with Air Conditioning and all.

In some cases when it's too hot, some people will, but most here will be out in the sun all day because we don't get weather like this all summer in the UK...

3rd. Trend:

Ted (290T), Prometheus (150T), The Dark Knight Rises (125T), Magic Mike (110T), Was passiert, wenn's passiert ist (95T), Ice Age 4 (90T), Merida - Legende der Highlands (90T),Wer's glaubt wird selig (60T), Starbuck (40T).

Germany + Austria Top 12 August  16-19

TW LW Movie Studio Weekend Change Gross Week
1 1 Ted UPI $ 2.802.639 -57,1 24.727.389 3
2 2 Prometheus Fox $ 1.972.147 -55,3 9.123.901 2
3 3 The Dark Knight Rises WB $ 1.429.263 -53,7 32.654.335 4
4 4 Brave Disney $ 1.036.175 -47,4 9.291.375 3
5 5 Ice Age 4 Fox $ 983.884 -42,3 65.930.024 7
6 N Magic Mike Concorde $ 786.949 - 1.191.143 1
7 N What to Expect When UPI $ 661.129 - 952.626 1
8 N Wer's glaubt wird selig Constantin $ 381.101 - 573.815 1
9 N Starbuck Filmladen $ 167.507 - 376.069 1
10 6 The Lorax UPI $ 122.229 -46,0 4.454.907 5
11 10 Intouchables Senator $ 74.790 -36,2 81.250.743 33
12 N 360 Prokino $ 73.992 - 81,374 1

A disaster weekend for virtually every film ... let's hope next week the weather turns bad and the market recovers! Ted's drop looks hideous if you don't consider that there were 3 or 4 comedies opening this weekend.

The coming weekend has 2 wide openers: "Total Recall" (heavily promoted but looks like shit to be honest; the original is still fondly remembered here) and "Paranorman". TR will hit Prometheus and TDKR while the impact of Paranorman should be negligible - if it opens to more than 150k admissions I'll be surprised - a shame really, Laika deserve much better but stop motion fights an uphill battle here; even Aardman's Pirates! didn't draw any major crowds.