Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | Garfield scratches great $8.4M 6-day OW; safe $2.5M start for The Fall Guy

The U.S. dollar is up 41 percent against the Brazilian real, 34 percent against the Colombian peso and 15 percent against the Mexican peso since June 30.

Mexico will be the less affected by currency swings so there is an opportunity to beat Avengers there ($62m)

• Like 1

I find it amusing how everyone says that Avengers will kill the legs in every market.  That's not how films work.  Sure, when a giant blockbuster comes out, it hurts the film in the first week.  But then it recovers the week after.  

I find it amusing how everyone says that Avengers will kill the legs in every market.  That's not how films work.  Sure, when a giant blockbuster comes out, it hurts the film in the first week.  But then it recovers the week after.  

+1 And AOU probably being more front-loaded than its predecessor means FF7 might recover more than expected.

This one is a really gigantic blockbuster, not just your usual blockbuster, that's why it will be different, meaning FF7 will lose a huge amount of screens.

+1 And AOU probably being more front-loaded than its predecessor means FF7 might recover more than expected.

I am sorry to say this but it won't recover. Take in account that Mexico is a very front loaded market. It doesn't usually behave as other Latin American markets. The good thing for FF7 is that AoU opens on the 30th here, a week later than in some other LA markets. AoU will benefit from labor day weekend. Its OW will be huge!!! 

• Like 1

I am sorry to say this but it won't recover. Take in account that Mexico is a very front loaded market. It doesn't usually behave as other Latin American markets. The good thing for FF7 is that AoU opens on the 30th here, a week later than in some other LA markets. AoU will benefit from labor day weekend. Its OW will be huge!!! 

Oh no, I didn't see that, no AoU in Mexico next week? :o We'll have to rely on the UK, Brazil nd SK I guess :P

Oh no, I didn't see that, no AoU in Mexico next week? :o We'll have to rely on the UK, Brazil nd SK I guess :P

In Latin America it opens only in Brazil and Argentina on the 23rd. Here are all the LA dates: https://dariuslacroix.wordpress.com/2015/04/13/trailer-extendido-de-avengers-era-de-ultron-mas-fechas-de-estreno-en-latinoamerica/

• Like 1

Qué onda,

New to this forum, just discovered today. Follow the international box office (an the Mexican one in particular) for a long time, and was raging when Mojo stopped posting the Top 10 so delighted the info is posted here, thanks to all. Still trying to get familiar with the movie acronyms :lol:

Impressive numbers for F7, can't wait for AoU ones.

Is there any info about how big the Mexican market was on 2014?

• Like 5

Qué onda,

New to this forum, just discovered today. Follow the international box office (an the Mexican one in particular) for a long time, and was raging when Mojo stopped posting the Top 10 so delighted the info is posted here, thanks to all. Still trying to get familiar with the movie acronyms :lol:

Impressive numbers for F7, can't wait for AoU ones.

Is there any info about how big the Mexican market was on 2014?

2014 was almost on par in admissions with 2013 (around 253m) 

These are the Top Ten movies in Mexico in 2014

1- Maleficent, 12.1m admissions

2- Rio 2, 9.1m admissions

3- Transformers, Age of Extinction, 8.5m adm

4- The Amazing Spiderman 2, 7.4m adm

5- Captain America: The Winter Soldier, 7.1m adm

6- Mockingjay Part 1, 6.3m adm

7- X-Men: Days of Future Past, 6.17m

8- The Rise of the Planet of the Apes, 6.13m adm

9- Annabelle, 6m adm

10- How To Train Your Dragon 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy, 5.4m adm

Mexicans go to the movies so much often than the rest of latin americans. On average a mexican person went 2 times to the movies last year while a person living in other latin american country did it only 1 time. 

Top Ten 2014 – Mexico               Admissions Gross Average Ticket 1 Maleficent 12.1 m $46.2 m $3.82 2 Rio 2 9.1 m $30.9 m $3.40 3 Transformers: Age of Extinction 8.5 m $33.5 m $3.94 4 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.4 m $28.5 m $3.85 5 Captain America: The Winter Soldier 7.1 m $25.7 m $3.62 6 Mockingjay: Part 1 6.3 m $23.1 m $3.67 7 X-Men: Days of Future Past 6.2 m $24.6 m $3.96 8 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 6.1 m $24.6 m $4.03 9 Annabelle 6.0 m $18.9 m $3.15 10 How to Train Your Dragon 2 5.4 m $19.9 m $3.69 10 Guardians of the Galaxy 5.4 m $19.7 m $3.64       Average Ticket Price 2014 $3.71

In 2014 around 253m tickets were sold so the global mexican box office last year was around $939.4m. In 2013 it was $934m  

• Like 1

The issue is that AOU does not face a 1 billion overseas film overseas.