Eric is Quiet

The Fall Guy | May 3, 2024 | Universal | Ryan Gosling, Emily Blunt | Based off the 80s TV show

On 5/18/2024 at 10:05 AM, Mad Max007 said:

Bad Boys will definitely take some audience away from this movie.

There is nothing left of this movie for Bad Boys to take away anything.

46 minutes ago, upprdeck said:

wasnt the weekly hold pretty good though?

The holds have been good and it has really stabilized which means the people seeing it are enjoying it.   It's Just not enough  people are seeing it. It will be a monster on Streaming and PVOD.  Which is kind of the problem.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, upprdeck said:

I talked with handful of people after seeing it and most of the them had no idea it was out.  So many of my friends have fallen off the movie train now.

I do nor know your friends so I can not speak for them but the marketing for this  was everywhere. Not sure how people can not be aware. This really is a huge problem if people are just tuning out movies that completely now.

• Like 1

I knew it was coming out and watched it.   But where was it marketed?  In the old golden days. You would have seen full page ads and such, but no more. If you dont go to movies regularly you never see a preview.   Streaming like most people do they wont see promos any more.   I am trying to recall other than maybe the SB if I ever saw it on TV. 

9 minutes ago, upprdeck said:

I knew it was coming out and watched it.   But where was it marketed?  In the old golden days. You would have seen full page ads and such, but no more. If you dont go to movies regularly you never see a preview.   Streaming like most people do they wont see promos any more.   I am trying to recall other than maybe the SB if I ever saw it on TV. 

Well that may be the problem I guess. Gosling and Blunt were  everywhere. Every talk show, SNL late night ect. Obviously there is a whole potential audience that is passing that stuff by now. Esp younger people which is why the majority audience for it was 35+.

23 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Well that may be the problem I guess. Gosling and Blunt were  everywhere. Every talk show, SNL late night ect. Obviously there is a whole potential audience that is passing that stuff by now. Esp younger people which is why the majority audience for it was 35+.

Honestly, the idea this movie wasn't promoted doesn't seem right. This movie has a good amount of promotion.

It seems more likely that people did not pay attention to the promotion (or just forgot it) for The Fall Guy, so they feel that the film wasn't enough promoted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, upprdeck said:

The movie had Superbowl spot among many things, it was marketed just like any other big budget movie.

I get the promotions are happening.  My wife who watched TV all day long, had no clue it was a movie, Doesnt watch much sports though

My oldest kid late 30s and her husband big time social media facebook and stuff had no clue, they stream mostly

my 2 in the 20s, the one who goes sees movies knew of it but has no idea of the Tv show so wasnt interested even if its a type she would normally see.  The other is mostly sports and streaming movies. He had no idea of it. 

I know I saw the SB ad.  But dont recall anything else

2 hours ago, Kon said:

Honestly, the idea this movie wasn't promoted doesn't seem right. This movie has a good amount of promotion.

It seems more likely that people did not pay attention to the promotion (or just forgot it) for The Fall Guy, so they feel that the film wasn't enough promoted.

Marketing always gets blamed whenever a movie bombs. Very common.

Bad movies fail because they are bad and get bad reviews or bad WOM. 

Good movies fail when they are good and good reviews and good WOM. 

Marketing can help bad movies make more money than they deserve at least early on. But it cant always drive people to better movies

The more people go to movies the better movies do.  Pretty clear that marketing works in that case.   Whether it drives things across all the other media any more is up for debate. 

if nothing else the lack of movies to get people to the theater is hurting more than anything.. I can go weeks/months without anything I would want to see.  Seems like much more of an issue than when I was in my 20s? 

3 hours ago, emoviefan said:

Yup.   And I didnt see them one time, I dont watch SNL only rarely any more, and never watch talk shows.  This a movie that was a show I would watch as a kid.  What are kids these days going to watch when they age 30-40 ys and want to see a movie. 

Young people use adblockers, don’t watch live TV outside of sports, and have the option to stream films and shows without ads. They get their marketing from social media. Instagram ads, YouTube, promo posts from celebrities, viral TikToks, Hot Ones videos, memes, influencers on red carpets, etc.

• Like 3

SOmetimes all the marketing in the world can't get people to go see a movie.

I repeat, this is the kind of film that migh thave looked fun to most people, but not 12 bucks worth of fun. Wait until it hits streaming kind of fun.

Still holding pretty well.. On pace for 85 domestic now. It shows the marketplace right now that its gonna be 6 months in and still be a top 10 movie.

Almost like the whole movie experience is down.