YM!

Saw X | 9/29/23

On 9/30/2023 at 5:51 PM, SpiderByte said:

C'mon, this is the year that proved counterprogramming works. The Taylor Swift crowd was not seeing Saw instead if Eras wasn't playing. It's October! Horror movie month!

By Halloween, everyone interested in Saw would have already seen it, basides there are already enough horror films showing, so I don't think counterprogramming would work in this case.

1 hour ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Saw X had a good hold this weekend. Great movie, it deserves. I still can't believe the 10th movie of a franchise is theonly one that critics loved. That's amazing!

Had one of the lowest drops since Saw III (If you don't include Spiral which cause of COVID had a much lighter 2nd week drop). I'm really curious how much this film would have made if the original release before Taylor Swift's movie was announced. This weekend theoretically it would have gone up only against Dumb Money going wide. Then next week Exorcist instead of Taylor Swift. 

Either way what a great drop. If it doesn't lose too many theaters next week I'm thinking Saw X could be good counter programing against Taylor Swift. If this movie can leg out, it could maybe get to 45M which would be a great success.

10 hours ago, Unfitclock said:

Why didn’t they update the international box office for this?

Boxofficemojo has updated WW numbers for Saw X. It's at basically 56M right now WW, so that means it did 12.4-12.5M internationally this weekend. I know primarily the bulk of the rest of Saw X's releases are at the end of October, so we wont really know where this falls internationally until probably mid November. 

But I feel pretty confident this should beat Jigsaw's domestic gross and land somewhere between 40-45M depending on how much Taylor Swift wrecks it this weekend. I'd assume internationally it will do on par with Jigsaw or maybe slightly better. The big hits will be Russia where it will lose out on around 5M

Edited by eman92

5 hours ago, eman92 said:

Boxofficemojo has updated WW numbers for Saw X. It's at basically 56M right now WW, so that means it did 12.4-12.5M internationally this weekend. I know primarily the bulk of the rest of Saw X's releases are at the end of October, so we wont really know where this falls internationally until probably mid November. 

But I feel pretty confident this should beat Jigsaw's domestic gross and land somewhere between 40-45M depending on how much Taylor Swift wrecks it this weekend. I'd assume internationally it will do on par with Jigsaw or maybe slightly better. The big hits will be Russia where it will lose out on around 5M

I think it was much less than 12.5m internationally this week unfortunately, as the total includes Mon-Thu grosses too.

Hoping it crosses $100m worldwide. 

11 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

I remember someone on these forums said Saw was dead after Jigsaw and they'd never make any more.

Jigsaw made more than 100 million worldwide on a budget of 10 million. However, Spiral really underperformed / flopped, which is why some might have been worried about the franchise's future. However, Spiral ws released during a pandemic, so that might have damaged numbers a lot. These movies always had reasonable budgets, which is why we have 10 of them. 

Really happy for the overall drops this movie has seen the last two weeks. I'm honestly a little shocked by its legs, because even though it got good reviews, I thought for sure Taylor Swift was gonna crush Saw X. TET actually forced so many movies to move their release dates, and therefore left Saw X and Exorcist as the main adult movies to see as counter programing to Taylor Swift. 

If somehow Saw X can keep in a good amount of theaters come Halloween time then I think it can do 50M domestically, but it'll all come down to how many theaters it can hold onto. Only major release next week is KOTFM, I'm hoping that in general what theaters do is just take the screens away from Taylor and split them between Taylor and KOTFM. 

But then for Halloween weekend I am worried with Freddy tracking so crazy, that Saw X will lose a lot of theaters that weekend, but it is Halloween so maybe theaters will be more inclined to keep Saw X on the roster??? Would be crazy if this movie legged out over 50M+ domestically. 

On 9/30/2023 at 3:32 PM, Bob Train said:

PVOD doesn't affect box office lol. 0 evidence that it has any effect on it.

It's the year 2071. Avatar vs. Predator Part 5: Once More With Feeling releases into theaters. Movies now almost always become available on PVOD after only 3 weeks of release. We have been given 50 years of definitive proof that PVOD does not effect box office in the slightest. And yet somehow, through all of this, BOT users will still cry out, "why is this movie coming home so early? They're killing this movie's box office! Why do these studios hate theaters so much???????????"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eric Feels 22 said:

It's the year 2071. Avatar vs. Predator Part 5: Once More With Feeling releases into theaters. Movies now almost always become available on PVOD after only 3 weeks of release. We have been given 50 years of definitive proof that PVOD does not effect box office in the slightest. And yet somehow, through all of this, BOT users will still cry out, "why is this movie coming home so early? They're killing this movie's box office! Why do these studios hate theaters so much???????????"

Most people have 0 reason to spend $30 buying something in PVOD when it will come on a streaming service they already pay for a month later. 

At least when going to theaters, you get much better picture and sound quality than at home, a much bigger screen, and the communal experience. 

Just watched this, thought it was ok, but I really missed the mystery aspect of the first one, which I watched last night (and loved).

I guess I’ll use this thread to ask for recommendations of horror movies that also function as good mystery stories? Best example I can think of other than Saw is The Ring, which has an awesome noir mystery vibe as well. 

Saw X officially crossing that 50M domestic milestone! I honestly thought this movie was going to do 42M domestically at best. The fact that this movie will be potentially the leggiest Saw movie besides just the original Saw is crazy. I think this will end around 53M domestically which is great. Next stop is 100M WW which apparently Saw X is at 92M at the moment. 

I'm hoping Saw X can land around 110-115M WW. 

Edited by eman92
  • Like 1

Awesome news all around! Really happy it was able to hit 100M. It still needs to release in a few more big markets like Germany/Austria/Japan/South Korea so I'm thinking it can do 10M more at least. Should hopefully close somewhere around $110-115M WW. 

I think lionsgate has to be extremely happy with how this performed, especially being able to hit $50M+ domestically.

I will say that Jigsaw's numbers were by no means bad, but it did underperform domestically which did make them shift into making Spiral instead of a Jigsaw sequel (Which will likely never happen). I think Lionsgate must be very happy with Saw X since this hit $50M+ domestically after Jigsaw and Spiral both did like 38M and 26M respectively domestically. 

This is the highest earning Saw film domestically since Saw V, which Saw X will end up being only like 3M away from that gross. 

I am expecting for sure SAW XI to be announced soon, sounds like they probably are trying to line up what the exact plan is first before announcing. So they're probably trying to get back Kevin Greutert and Tobin before saying anything.

Edited by eman92