YM!

Inside Out 2 | June 14, 2024 | Biggest animated movie of all time! We aren’t Pixover but Pixulling Back!

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I don't know what exactly theaters have been expecting but I'm sure they'll take that kind of opening at this point.

I'm sure they'll be happy to take both the opening and the total of Inside Out 2 (even if it did 70/210 they would be happy) but that is because aside from one film this year that total would be higher than everything else domestically. Still theatrical is in a rough place even if the domestic total matches last year, at the moment it is looking to be down to maybe $8B and if we continue to get underperformances it might be even worse on the inverse if films like IO2, Deadpool 3, Despicable Me 4, Joker 2 and, more importantly, others can over perform maybe we can match last years total or even exceed it which I'm obviously hopeful for even if I feel it is unlikely. 

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

HSX is actually the most bullish it's been on this movie now with the latest tracking. I don't know what exactly theaters have been expecting but I'm sure they'll take that kind of opening at this point.

Talking about post COVID trends, being a sequel hasn't necessarily been a hamper there as evidenced by Puss 2 and Elemental also just had the best summer legs ever for a Pixar film last year. The original Inside Out also faced a Minions movie opening after it, so if IO2 opens with lower admissions, there's still the possibility for better legs if word of mouth is good enough to get all the skeptics to turn out for it.

This is facing Despicable Me 4 so the minion situation is pretty much being mirrored for this film.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have a son who’s now just about old enough to watch Pixar, and it’s been interesting to see what connects with him and what doesn’t. You’d think he’d love Inside Out for its fast pace and zaniness, but he got bored after 20 minutes. Wall-E and Up, on the other hand, can be watched over and over again. Go figure. 🤷‍♂️

(not a humblebrag by the way: he also fucking loves paw patrol)

Edited by Hatebox

I do hope the sequel leans into the fun of the idea a bit more. That was actually an issue I had with the first, that once it actually gets into the plot and all the melodrama of Riley's angst, the energy is sapped out of it

10 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Holy shit for real lmao, "this bad result is happening because of X, Y, and Z, so therefore it's actually a good result" And I say this as a Disney/Inside Out supporter who wanted this movie to blast to $150M+ but sadly it'll do around half-ish that. 

That's more of your moronic and absolute hyperbolic view and thinking of box office.

You're either BOMB or HUGE. 

If you make something you want an expectation, you're doomed to be disappointed. 

I think anything over 100M is a big win for this and I think that when all is said and done, it will be there. This will perform on that last week.

And let's quit with this "AND I SAY THIS AS A HUGE DISNEY SUPPORTER". No one cares and every time you say it, the less I believe it. 

• Knock It Off 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Potiki said:

I'm sure they'll be happy to take both the opening and the total of Inside Out 2 (even if it did 70/210 they would be happy) but that is because aside from one film this year that total would be higher than everything else domestically. Still theatrical is in a rough place even if the domestic total matches last year, at the moment it is looking to be down to maybe $8B and if we continue to get underperformances it might be even worse on the inverse if films like IO2, Deadpool 3, Despicable Me 4, Joker 2 and, more importantly, others can over perform maybe we can match last years total or even exceed it which I'm obviously hopeful for even if I feel it is unlikely. 

The expectation this year has always been under 2023 8.9B. Didn't change, won't change.

This year will probably do high 7B or low 8B and 2025 we're back to 9B, maybe 10B and 2026 will be the sure greatness period with 10B, maybe 11B. (Barring another strike or war or epidemic)

Edited by justnumbers

I’m not really going to call doom and gloom for IO2 as it’s still is three weeks left. Tracking can change on a whim, and on the bright side interest and awareness for Quorum is steadily increasing. Not to mention, Across was tracking 70-80m OW three weeks prior and 80m+ week of release and while that did have far stronger presales it’s possible IO2 can regain momentum in the coming weeks.

Besides I’m sure Disney would take an 80m-85m OW so long as reception is strong, as they damaged the reputation of both their animation through streaming and in the case of WDAS, a series of poor quality films barring Encanto. They got to earn their way back up the chain but on the bright side at least it’s not as bad as other studios and sadly, the 14% cutting may decrease budgets somewhat. I still think 90-100m OW can happen but think Disney would be okay with a 250/600 run for this even though it’d be disappointing. It’s more important the films are good and make modest profits right now. That said if IO2 does underperform, unless it’s a Toy Story or Frozen, stuff like both Moana 2 and Elio would have to leave their desired spots and both arms would need to be a bit more flexible when choosing favorite slots but not to the point of giving up summer or fall but move to more slightly advantageous slots (like Moana 2 shouldn’t fight Wicked nor should Elio fight Dragon, Moana could do 11/15 as Elio could go Memorial Day weekend or post Memorial Day weekend or maybe late June).

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

June 27 is still there for the taking for Elio next year. They could spin it as "commemorating the WALL-E release date"

My only concern is if Jurassic City hurts it. But then again, half expecting it to be pushed back to later that year.

That was other competition the original Inside Out had to deal with in 2015, so if it's quality I don't think it should be that big an obstacle. I also don't think the Jurassic franchise is nearly the nostalgic event it was back then.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, justnumbers said:

That's more of your moronic and absolute hyperbolic view and thinking of box office.

You're either BOMB or HUGE. 

If you make something you want an expectation, you're doomed to be disappointed. 

I think anything over 100M is a big win for this and I think that when all is said and done, it will be there. This will perform on that last week.

And let's quit with this "AND I SAY THIS AS A HUGE DISNEY SUPPORTER". No one cares and every time you say it, the less I believe it. 

I say that to stop the "you're just a hater who wants this movie to fail" accusations. I'm actually a fan who is mad about the 💩 numbers. To put it simply 80M for Inside Out 2 would be like when Justice League opened to 96M, just ewwwwww.

Edited by HummingLemon496

12 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

I say that to stop the "you're just a hater who wants this movie to fail" accusations. I'm actually a fan who is mad about the 💩 numbers. To put it simply 80M for Inside Out 2 would be like when Justice League opened to 96M, just ewwwwww.

The number is kind of meaningless. It's just a horse race. I'm only paying attention to these numbers like I do for sports standings, but I don't let it affect my enjoyment of the movie itself.

I’m gonna say this right now. Deadline lowballs. It’s what they are known for. Whether or not Inside Out 2 opens in their range isn’t known right now. Three weeks is a lot of time for the movie to pick up steam. Presales are solid for it. Walkups could be strong as well. But a 85 million dollar opening would not be terrible. Disappointing for people who hyped up 100m but it’s a very solid opening. 

85M would at least be enough for Disney to tour it as the biggest opening of the year so far as a small victory. An 85M opening wouldn’t be disastrous but I do feel like anything below the 90-100M would be disappointing.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I have a son who’s now just about old enough to watch Pixar, and it’s been interesting to see what connects with him and what doesn’t. You’d think he’d love Inside Out for its fast pace and zaniness, but he got bored after 20 minutes. Wall-E and Up, on the other hand, can be watched over and over again. Go figure. 🤷‍♂️

(not a humblebrag by the way: he also fucking loves paw patrol)

TO be fair, a lo tof the humor in Inside Out is over the head of most kids. How many are going to get the things like bit about facts and opinions on theTrain Of Though..one of my favorite bits in the movie.

• Like 1

It is opening far enough away from DM4 so DM$ will not have much impact on IO2 box office.

i92 would have done what it is going to do, for better or worse, by the time DM4 opens.