YM!

Inside Out 2 | June 14, 2024 | Biggest animated movie of all time! We aren’t Pixover but Pixulling Back!

4 hours ago, cinema pal said:

It's weird, the first one was one of my favourite films of the year, but I have zero interest to watch IO2 at the movie theatre 

It has a direct-to-video quality based on the trailer. I could see it underperforming a bit. 

Posted (edited)

I think the point is that all this obsessive and almost troll Doom at this point feels pathetic at minimum for a 85M opening from NRG. Would be disappointing but not this disaster that this dude is trying to paint unsurprisingly.

Sit your ass down and stop crying at NRG tracking. Go make your Doom club about it. That would ensure it doesn't happen.

Edited by justnumbers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cannastop said:

It's because it has any trace of autobiographical details in it. Director is Italian, movie takes place in Italy.

In other words:

I don't think Luca is exactly what I'd call relatable as an italian; it certainly did not resonate with me, or any of my friends, anyway.

Edited by JustLurking

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

It has a direct-to-video quality based on the trailer. I could see it underperforming a bit. 

It doesn't help that among 9 (!) emotions there's like only one positive, it seems exhausting 

Edited by cinema pal
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Ennui too? Who the f uses that word anyway?

I wouldn't call her positive) But I kinda liked her, to be honest.

Also I'm learning french now so I'm ok with her name

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JustLurking said:

You can't not have "OMG MOVIES ARE DOOMED" handwringing if in the same post you yourself are writing that we should lower our expectations for the sequel of an extremely beloved original smash hit. That's pretty much an oxymoron.

Either movies are fine yet we should lower our expectations for no apparent reason, or movies are struggling in the post-COVID landscape and we should lower our expectations because of it.

There is a difference between a mentality of "things are worse now and they will never get any better" and "things are worse now and they will take time to improve". The former is the more irritating and unrealistic of the two.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, AniNate said:

There is a difference between a mentality of "things are worse now and they will never get any better" and "things are worse now and they will take time to improve". The former is the more irritating and unrealistic of the two.

I do not know if they will improve. I certainly hope so. For the time being however I judge the present.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Then judge only the present and not unfairly compare it to nine years ago when streaming wasn't as widespread, COVID hadn't conditioned more audiences to stay home and Pixar hadn't just had its worst opening weekend ever with its last movie. You're just being willfully obtuse and looking to start drama when you take that perspective. 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, rihrey said:

Some of you get way too fired up over what 1 or 2 users say on this site. 💀 Anyway, can't wait for this to come out!

Wouldn't say I'm fired up, just being assertive and direct. Yes, ultimately it's just a movie but I'm trying to put a stopper in the doomer mentality that makes this a less enjoyable place to chat where I can. If it indirectly means less people buy into it who might've done so otherwise if I didn't say anything then I consider that a win. 

Edited by AniNate
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JustLurking said:

You can't not have "OMG MOVIES ARE DOOMED" handwringing if in the same post you yourself are writing that we should lower our expectations for the sequel of an extremely beloved original smash hit. That's pretty much an oxymoron.

Either movies are fine yet we should lower our expectations for no apparent reason, or movies are struggling in the post-COVID landscape and we should lower our expectations because of it.

Yeah, comments like these are why you and @dudalb are some of the best users on this entire forum

• ...wtf 1

I will admit I havent thought about it too much, but, at face value, I cant take any sub 700 (or 750, as I said I've yet to do any meaningful thinking on the topic) million predictions seriously (assuming its certified fresh)

Cannot see why this would perform only marginally better than the very unappealing-looking mediocrely-reviewed elemental, especially when its pretty much guaranteed to earn 100 million more domestically if not 150 

• Like 1

I was not thrilled at all about this movie's existence when it was first announced and I don't even like the first one that much, but man am I hoping for its success now. Theaters need it and Pixar needs it. 

I am also kind of encouraged by what Kelsey Mann said in that Bloomberg piece about trying to shy away from a dour tone here. That was something that I wasn't into in the second half of the first Inside Out.

I don't think Inside Out 2 needs me wishing luck for it. I guess I'll watch it in theaters, but I won't be too bent out of shape if I don't catch it. I'm interested in Elio next year, though, curious about it. Probably won't see Toy Story 5 though. Really really curious about the Domee Shi project that's brewing since they decided autobiographical material was out.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ugh... that's another reason I'm hoping this is an acclaimed breakout so people will finally move on from this whole "no more autobiographies" discourse. No one knows what that means anyway and ultimately what matters is that the movies are good.

Edited by AniNate

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Ugh... that's another reason I'm hoping this is an acclaimed breakout so people will finally move on from this whole "no more autobiographies" discourse. No one knows what that means anyway and ultimately what matters is that the movies are good.

I think I know what it means, and I don't like it. I don't like it to a degree to be mildly disappointed.

Just now, cannastop said:

I think I know what it means, and I don't like it. I don't like it to a degree to be mildly disappointed.

It's coming from a secondhand source and is such a subjective quality that Bloomberg's interpretation of it may very well be total bullshit.