YM!

Ticket to Paradise Weekend Thread (and also Black Adam): Adam 67 (Rock's biggest leading debut), Paradise 16.3, Smile 8.3, Halloween 8 (80% drop!), Lyle 4.2 | Banshees 45K PTA, second-best of the year

People are overestimating Barbie. It feels like a Film Twitter thing more than anything. Margot is also box office poison. 

While IMDB skews very white/straight, Film Twitter skews very gay so Barbie is right up FT's alley. 

Edited by Flopped
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Eric Adam said:

Supposed to go into 50 theaters next week, and then cross 600-800 theaters on November 4

Hopefully it can have a nice little run once it goes wider.

Based in South Korea, hoping for a release here but nothing listed. This type of film really struggling to get screens here amid pandemic.

Even Hallween Ends only in one theatre in a city of 2 million plus people.

1 hour ago, Eric Adam said:

I hatewatch Grace's Movie Maths every week for...some bizarre reason, and every time I have an aneurism, because she has no clue what she's talking about. I'm seeing her say "a drop in the 50s for Black Adam would be awful for the film. It has to do sub-50" and I just want to jump through my laptop screen and be all "No! No! That's not how this works!"

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who hate-watches Movie Math. I thought it was something that was so niche that "there's no way anyone else does this"!

Glad to see I'm not alone.

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The 300 page threads were a little overwhelming. 

You take a break to do a chore then come back to thread only to find you're behind 20 pages.

True, but the Jurassic World weekend thread was legendary.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eric Adam said:

I hatewatch Grace's Movie Maths every week for...some bizarre reason, and every time I have an aneurism, because she has no clue what she's talking about. I'm seeing her say "a drop in the 50s for Black Adam would be awful for the film. It has to do sub-50" and I just want to jump through my laptop screen and be all "No! No! That's not how this works!"

Movie Math is generally out on Sunday afternoons so it's "First!" in a way, if you want video analysis of the weekend box office. She does talk about diversity breakdowns, sometimes awkwardly, but at the moment, she's not totally "Get woke, go broke!" about it, and so many YouTube channels are.

I kind of get what GR meant about Black Adam: if it had opened to $90-$100M, I doubt she would be saying a drop in the 50s is bad, because it would be on track for a higher total overall. BA's budget is around $200M and with typical drops, the movie won't make that much domestically. I can see how a box office watcher would view BA's total so far as not great, considering everything. But you do have to remember with Grace how her views on a particular subject (in this case, the DCEU) affect how she spins the box office results.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl