Eric Prime

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

14 minutes ago, XXR Also in Boots said:

I've got it at $1.28B WW through January 2nd. No matter how one feels about its run, It's going to be the biggest film released in 2022.

I mean sure but it’s going to die hard after. It’s good in general but a massive step backwards and losing to NWH is rough

Edited by cdsacken

3 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I mean sure but it’s going to die hard after. It’s good in general but a massive step backwards and losing to NWH is rough

It’s not guaranteed that it won’t top NWH, but that was one of the biggest superhero films of all time for good reason. There is no shame in that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, XXR Also in Boots said:

It's not going to die hard at all. There's 6 weeks before another 15M opener shows up. It's going to add another $500M in January alone. 

I don’t see 500 happening in January. China will be zero, a lot of markets will be dying down. Premium screens will be gone.

I’m going with 1.55B as my guess maybe 1.6

Edited by cdsacken

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

It’s not guaranteed that it won’t top NWH, but that was one of the biggest superhero films of all time for good reason. There is no shame in that.

in general that’s true. But for 10 years folks on this board talked about 3 billies WW and 1 billion dom. Expectations were way way too high. Especially china.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I don’t see 500 happening in January. China will be zero, a lot of markets will be dying down. Premium screens will be gone.

I’m going with 1.55B as my guess maybe 1.6

FYI being obnoxious in the other direction doesn't make you any better than the users you're mocking.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Especially china.

There's major extenuating circumstances surrounding the China number though. You can't just say "expectations were way too high" and act like that's that. 

Some people's expectations were too high (like $1B DOM) but in the end but if exchange rates were similar to where they were 5 years ago and China was fully open with no COVID issues, then there would be a good shot that ATWOW competes with Endgame and Avatar WW numbers. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

in general that’s true. But for 10 years folks on this board talked about 3 billies WW and 1 billion dom. Expectations were way way too high. Especially china.

Well a lot changed in the world over those 10 years. Hell a lot changed over the last couple of weeks in terms of China.

Just now, WittyUsername said:

I guess it’s a testament to the high expectations we place on James Cameron that even though TWoW is bound to be the biggest movie of the year worldwide, people still consider that a disappointment. 

Who exactly considers a disappointment? Calling it a disappointment is ridiculous, and shows a lack of understanding of how box office even works, even with covid / war not withstanding.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

this A2 film released in 2019 december makes 4 billies lmao

Mhmm no but it would definitely make more than today. OS-C probably +10-15% USD. Russia probably $50-55M. China probably adds $400-500M. WW-Dom would be $1.9-2.1B instead of the $1.3-1.4B it's going to be. DOM does $550-650M either way. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I guess it’s a testament to the high expectations we place on James Cameron that even though TWoW is bound to be the biggest movie of the year worldwide, people still consider that a disappointment. 

This is AoU and TLK all over again.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

FYI being obnoxious in the other direction doesn't make you any better than the users you're mocking.

how on earth is 1.55B being the opposite? Hope I’m wrong and it does 2B I want Avatar 4 and 5 greenlit!

• Like 1