Eric Prime

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

2 minutes ago, Flip said:

Here in the northeast the coldest it’s gonna get is like 10 degrees on Saturday which is nothing unmanageable but might dissuade some from traveling to the theater

It’s the wind chill that makes it really tough. We’re supposedly going to have a “feels like” temperature of -3 on Friday morning. That’s crazy for an area that has had 75-80 degree weather for Christmas in recent years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I really do love that people on this board twist facts and figures whichever way they see fit. JP3 Did exist. And JW had none of the lead actors and characters. 

Cool, exchange rate. But the average ticket prices for PLFs and its big reliance on those formats mitigates that. 

The point is that the numbers in a vacuum are huge, but this is one of those movies that can't be judged in a vacuum. 

Sure, JP3 did exist. But if we're being honest, JW performed as if it didn't exist. It broke the OW record. People clearly didn't care about the lackluster sequels. Sure, we can say that it connected well with audiences as well, but it's hard to really measure how it actually connected with audiences (considering how much the interest had fallen by the time Fallen Kingdom came around).

The average ticket prices absolutely do not make up for it. It would possibly have done so if it retained about 90-95% of its audience around the globe. That's not reasonable to expect from a sequel to the biggest movie of all time. When it's all said and done, The Way Of Water will have retained more of its audience (minus US and China) compared to Avatar than Jurassic World did compared to Jurassic Park (and probably pretty handily so as well).

6 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

I agree, people forget just how atrocious ROs post holiday legs were. This film couldn't even manage 5 full weeks above $1m, not to mention falling $11m behind TLK despite being ahead coming out of the holidays 

Rogue One made more than $100m after the holidays. It was a very well liked Star Wars film riding the coattails of TFA’s insane domestic reception. It has one of the most memorable endings of all Star Wars films and spawned a now beloved spinoff with Andor. 

Making more than $100m after hitting $400m during the two weeks leading to the holidays is absolutely nothing to sneeze at. I think our very definitions of ‘frontloadness’ when it comes to box office are wildly outdated. The market has changed, how the general audience consume films has changed, phenomenons like TGM, NWH, EG, BP, A1, TDK and etc don’t happen all the time. And that’s absolutely fine. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

There no competition and the audience for Avatar films are not a fanbase.

Rogue One didn't have any real competition till February, and your crazy if you thin the early disney star wars films were that fan base powered without the help of the GA

Edited by cooldude97
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dale Cooper said:

The average ticket prices absolutely do not make up for it. It would possibly have done so if it retained about 90-95% of its audience around the globe. That's not reasonable to expect from a sequel to the biggest movie of all time. When it's all said and done, The Way Of Water will have retained more of its audience (minus US and China) compared to Avatar than Jurassic World did compared to Jurassic Park (and probably pretty handily so as well).

I woudnt be so sure of that. When adjusted for inflation, the original run of JP and JW's run are actually pretty close (like 50Mish difference iirc), and Worldwide (where its much harder to judge inflation), JW actually outperformed JP in many markets that were just not as mature back in 1993.

Overall, JP was ofc a bigger hit in 1993 than JW was in 2015, but it wasnt a big difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Puss is BOMB BOMB BOMB. Babylon is BOMB BOMB BOMB. Whitney is BOMB BOMB BOMB. Avatar is a DESTROYER OF THEATERS ULTRA MEGA APOCALYPSE OF DARKNESS NUCLEAR MEGATON.

Meanwhile Glass Onion will smash every record alive and breathing and it is the only movie anyone will talk about. Streaming won.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5
  • Astonished 2

Just now, CJohn said:

Puss is BOMB BOMB BOMB. Babylon is BOMB BOMB BOMB. Whitney is BOMB BOMB BOMB. Avatar is a DESTROYER OF THEATERS ULTRA MEGA APOCALYPSE OF DARKNESS NUCLEAR MEGATON.

Meanwhile Glass Onion will smash every record alive and breathing and it is the only movie anyone will talk about. Streaming won.

The quintessential CJohn Post. Right here and in all its glory.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

I’m legit not sleeping today without watching Knives Out. My most hyped film this December. I might actually make a double feature for the sole reason De Armas.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I woudnt be so sure of that. When adjusted for inflation, the original run of JP and JW's run are actually pretty close (like 50Mish difference iirc), and Worldwide (where its much harder to judge inflation), JW actually outperformed JP in many markets that were just not as mature back in 1993.

Overall, JP was ofc a bigger hit in 1993 than JW was in 2015, but it wasnt a big difference.

Global markets were not well-developed in the 1990’s. That’s what makes the performances of Jurassic Park and especially Titanic so jawdropping. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Knives Out 2 is pretty awesome. The folks involved gave an A+ effort. 

I won’t lie, I do like the streaming / film experience when it’s something almost ‘exclusive’ getting a release. Watching Black Widow by myself during the pandemic was bittersweet, but it was the Marvel injection I needed at one of the most tough times we as a civilization faced. Criticisms of Cheapek not withstanding, I was thankful that I got to watch that one at home.

I’m likely prepping some popcorn too lol. 

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I know that it was much closer in the US. But JP was absolutely massive OS in a way JW simply wasn't. It was still huge, mind, but Jurassic Park set all time records in a lot of big OS markets.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dale Cooper said:

I know that it was much closer in the US. But JP was absolutely massive OS in a way JW simply wasn't. It was still huge, mind, but Jurassic Park set all time records in a lot of big OS markets.

This is very true.