Eric is Quiet

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

43 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

The US is so big that entire chunks of the country have their own climates and are built around that. 

When the 'heat dome' hit the Pacific Northwest last year(or was it two years ago?) that was when I learned like nobody had air conditioning because the summers there are like mid-80's or something and that's all.  So getting hit with 115 degree temps was insanity. 

It never freezes in Texas so like 200 people died a couple years ago when the entire state froze and millions of people had no power for days (some for weeks) because we don't winterize our power plants.

Texas can't even weatherize their non-power plants. They throw sheets on them. The power ones are doomed.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Nasty arctic cold front is hitting a lot of the country, like here in CO, starting this evening. Dropped 40 degrees in less than an hour already. Could be a factor if wed drop looks harsh. Regardless, that Tue hold gives me lots of assurance this can be a 5x+ multi situation like I’ve been feeling since I saw it. 

Not dismissing this, I’m just curious - does the cold actually prevent people from going to the movies? Granted, I live in Montréal, so my opinion on this might be skewed, but it seems to me like having to put on a coat is a small price to pay for a movie you really want to see.

• Like 1

Just now, Kevin Burke said:

Not dismissing this, I’m just curious - does the cold actually prevent people from going to the movies? Granted, I live in Montréal, so my opinion on this might be skewed, but it seems to me like having to put on a coat is a small price to pay for a movie you really want to see.

I mean...it depends on how low the temperature gets. Plus we are (almost) in the holidays now, it's pretty easy to just move the theater trip to another date.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XXR Also in Boots said:

When you're not used to dealing with it, yes. As a Canadian you see this stuff every year so of course it doesn't matter to you lol

Fair enough. I guess I just put myself in the opposite shoes and thought “I’d still go see it if it was unseasonably hot out”. I also see a lot of movies and am probably not thinking like GA. Nothing stops my ass from getting into a theater seat I want to be in.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kevin Burke said:

It depends on just how cold. Here in Edmonton it's been in the -30's the last several days (and feeling as low as -44) and even the folks here who are used to it avoided going out if possible.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Cap said:

What’s up, I’m watching Eyes Wide Shut

You’re darn right we do. (At least in D&D)

Also. My weather update for Maine is hysterical. 

It’s gonna be 50 degrees and rain on Friday — to the point we have flood warnings — and then it’s gonna freeze.  Merry Christmas, y’all. No one in this state is living their house for daaaaays. 

Canadian side of Niagara Falls here. The issue here is rain tomorrow and then the chill comes Friday.  Along with strong winds. Friday seems to be the worst of it though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kevin Burke said:

In Kansas City our average temperature right now is 40F.  The highs the next two days will be in the low single digits with wind chills around 40 below.  We are not used to this. Plus, since it will only last for a couple of days normally, we just hunker down and spend time at home with family, eat snacks and watch movies or play games. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Deep Wang said:

The US is so big that entire chunks of the country have their own climates and are built around that. 

When the 'heat dome' hit the Pacific Northwest last year(or was it two years ago?) that was when I learned like nobody had air conditioning because the summers there are like mid-80's or something and that's all.  So getting hit with 115 degree temps was insanity. 

It never freezes in Texas so like 200 people died a couple years ago when the entire state froze and millions of people had no power for days (some for weeks) because we don't winterize our power plants.

This is so true! I was in the BC interior for the heat dome in late June/early July 2021 and we had never felt anything like it! People couldn't handle it. I had never experienced +40 heat personally. It was miserable. I can handle extreme cold way better.

• Astonished 1

1 minute ago, Kevin Burke said:

Fair enough. I guess I just put myself in the opposite shoes and thought “I’d still go see it if it was unseasonably hot out”. I also see a lot of movies and am probably not thinking like GA. Nothing stops my ass from getting into a theater seat I want to be in.

1) I don’t own a coat that could protect my ass from “feels like 0” temperature lol 

2) if there’s precipitation that’s even worse because then the roads are icy and nobody here is equipped to handle that. 

3) heat is completely different, that’s actually known to get people into the theaters because they have AC

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Verrows said:

It depends on just how cold. Here in Edmonton it's been in the -30's the last several days (and feeling as low as -44) and even the folks here who are used to it avoided going out if possible.

Whoa. Okay, that’s nuts. I used to work a lift in Lake Louise and I had one day in the top shack at -35. I nearly quit.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

1) I don’t own a coat that could protect my ass from “feels like 0” temperature lol 

2) if there’s precipitation that’s even worse because then the roads are icy and nobody here is equipped to handle that. 

3) heat is completely different, that’s actually known to get people into the theaters because they have AC

Canadians may be used to the white stuff and the cold. But the south has no idea what winter tires are

3 minutes ago, Kevin Burke said:

Whoa. Okay, that’s nuts. I used to work a lift in Lake Louise and I had one day in the top shack at -35. I nearly quit.

Yeah it's pretty crazy here right now. My partner and I walk a lot and are pretty good about walking in all the elements. It takes a lot for us to flat out not be willing to go out in the cold and this is one of those times. 

That being said, if we wanted to see a movie bad enough we wouldn't let it stop us. It's just a matter of getting in and out of the car/Uber. For others they may draw the line though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

Canadians may be used to the white stuff and the cold. But the south has no idea what winter tires are

Yup, just like people living in, say, Phoenix, Arizona can probably handle 35 degree (celsius) heat with ease, while we in the Pacific Northwest tell everyone we're dying. 🤣

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kevin Burke said:

Anything over 25 gives me heat stroke.

I'm weird with heat. I generally don't handle it well but I can handle being right out there in it. Like dry intense heat I can sorta do. It's sitting in the house in the evening when it's super humid that I cannot stand. I become super crabby and cannot get comfortable.

At least in extreme cold you can just heat your house to a comfortable level. Can't do much when it's really hot outside.