Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Avatar 95.6m, PiB 20.05m, Babylon 4.85m 4 days

29 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

It's not exactly that simple. DS came in riding the tidal wave of multiverse from NWH, a very well received film, promising cameos and whatever else. This phase has missed the mark big time with audiences this year though, only BP course-correcting it domestically (but not overseas, where reception continues being poor), and if that doesn't change atleast next year (at the very least ant-man hasto be very well received since it's setting up to A4, even though it's not really a big MCU franchise), Avengers4 will be coming in after a big streak of films audiences disliked.

MCU films don't exist in a vacuum, audiences don't just clean slate on each entry, and those poor received films do add up. Just look at how BAD latest mcu films did in typically big MCU markets like SK.

For the record, I think it can do better than 1.5b with China but I don't have see Kang breaking 2b.

A5 is in 2025 and phase 4 is already over so I don't think it'll matter much. The reception will depend  mainly on how Phase 5 does. So currently i also have it low around ~1.8B. Things could change going forward. Might increase or might even come in bit low.

Edited by Nero

Just now, charlie Jatinder said:

Well technically Raimi trilogy is now canon MCU, so first MCU film was 2003 :redcapes: and it does have PAPA Feige involved.

2002, Charlie.

Get your facts straight my man, your supposed to be a God!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

So I guess Avatar will be the biggest franchise in terms of average gross and the MCU will be the biggest in total gross.

Seems like there's a chance that "Avengers" as a franchise would hold both of those records. Depending on if the Avatar films continue to show diminishing returns with future instalments. Obviously that's impossible to tell right now.

Also, I should note that I don't know what the rules are here on considering individual franchises under the MCU as qualifying as "a franchise". I know that Box Office Mojo counts MCU as a whole as a franchise, as well as each franchise therein (Captain America, Iron Man, etc.)

Edited by Kevin Burke
added context
  • Like 1

Just now, stuart360 said:

I mean biggest franchise in the world, and Endgame being the finale to a 20 something film series, and it needed a late expansion to just about beat AVATAR from 10 years earlier WW.

Says it all for me.

20 something films means 20 solid films with great big picture story at universe level spanning over various sub franchise.

On other hand, couldn't put a good plot for second film taking 13 years. The working point for A2 remains, "it has good visuals". Good luck running that for 3rd, 4th and 5th time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I non-ironically think the JW movies are a bit underappreciated box-office wise. The fact that many people (online) dislike the films plays a role there too i think. To have each movie of your trilogy gross over a billion is no easy feat at all, especially for a more "classic" franchise that isnt part of some cinematic universe.

I love the series, and both JP and JW were bohemuth's box office wise.

I'm not super keen on the 2nd and 3rd JW movies, but i like all the rest, even JP3 lol.

No matter what happens in the future, no one can take away what the first JP and JW movies did at the box office.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nero said:

A4 is in 2025 and phase 4 is already over so I don't think it'll matter much. The reception will depend  mainly on how Phase 5 does. So currently i also have it low around ~1.8B. Things could change going forward. Might increase or might even come in bit low.

Wops, meant to write A5, you get the point though. Of course things are always changing but it's not really as simple as "well DS did x, of course avengers will do atleast y more".

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I non-ironically think the JW movies are a bit underappreciated box-office wise. The fact that many people (online) dislike the films plays a role there too i think. To have each movie of your trilogy gross over a billion is no easy feat at all, especially for a more "classic" franchise that isnt part of some cinematic universe.

JW movies have now beaten MCU movies released in their years 2 out of 3 Times now.

2015 - JW >> MCU

2018 - MCU >> JW

2022 - JW >> MCU 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Roark said:

Avengers is a franchise based on more than 50 years of stories with established superheroes/pop icons with a stellar cast portraying them and a whole bunch of minor films leading and building to it.

Avatar is a brand new IP with no superstars.

Just saying…

Although that is partially true but comics and movies are totally different things. MCU made movies which resonated with audiences. The build up matters. Detective Comic also has long history for that matter but their movies didn't do well where as their comics are generally better than Marvel . 

11 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

Hoping actuals come in at $30m+ for Sunday and the $32m+ for yesterday. Parsing through the actuals for what should be a very solid hold from Avatar and disastrous results for a couple other new releases will be a rollercoaster lmao

Lmao...

Meanwhile somewhere lost at the BO

...HELPPP MEEee 

Happy Margot Robbie GIF by Babylon

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

20 something films means 20 solid films with great big picture story at universe level spanning over various sub franchise.

On other hand, couldn't put a good plot for second film taking 13 years. The working point for A2 remains, "it has good visuals". Good luck running that for 3rd, 4th and 5th time.

Well npt everyone agrees with that, in reference to A2's story, including a large amount of critics, and they would be the first ones to point out a bad story.

And lets not pretend Marvel films are Shakespear or somehting. They are as painting by numbers as they come.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

I love the series, and both JP and JW were bohemuth's box office wise.

I'm not super keen on the 2nd and 3rd JW movies, but i like all the rest, even JP3 lol.

No matter what happens in the future, no one can take away what the first JP and JW movies did at the box office.

Indeed brother Stewart 👍🦝

The memories

Oh My God Wow GIF by PermissionIO

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

well the thing is each film is adding a layer. Film 1 was all about the world and visuals. Film 2 further builds on film 1's points but also bring emotional brevity and attaches you to the core characters of this series. I'm sure film 3 will bring the overarching plot and have a great one in it itself. If it doesnt then yes, I can see the series running into problem for 4 and 5 due to building up the imagine of just visual spectacle. 

6 minutes ago, Nero said:

A4 is in 2025 and phase 4 is already over so I don't think it'll matter much. The reception will depend  mainly on how Phase 5 does. So currently i also have it low around ~1.8B. Things could change going forward. Might increase or might even come in bit low.

It's nit just about Phase, the characters that have been introduced in Phase 4 have been mostly flop with audience.

Most Probably these people are supposed to lead into Kang Dynasty

Earlier we had Tony, Steve, Thor and buddies leading the fight against Loki and Ultron. 

Now we have what, Shang Chi, America, Falcon, Yelena, Ms Marvel, She Hulk? 

You can sprinkle some old timers like Strange, Spidey, Thor, but rest are plain fodders.

4 hours ago, VanillaSkies said:

A lot of talk about whether or not this beats Titanic, which I find funny cause Titanic is re-releasing in theatres in a very big way for its 25th anniversary on Feb 10th of 2023. Surely that’s going to add a lot to its total, moving the goal posts quite a bit. 

me; Omg what is this real?! Cause I had tickets to titanic like the weekend Covid closed all the movie theaters down, so I’m really excited for this. Let me verify this information.

deadline: EXCLUSIVE: To celebrate the 25th anniversary of James Cameron’s Titanic, the multiple Oscar winner and box office phenomenon has been set for a fresh theatrical release just in time for Valentine’s Day next year. A remastered version will be available in cinemas in 3D 4K HDR and high-frame rate, with Disney releasing internationally beginning February 10, 2023, Deadline has confirmed. Paramount has domestic rights and is expected to also set its date in the coming days.

me: 

Aaron Paul He Cant Keep Getting Away With This GIF by Breaking Bad

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

Well npt everyone agrees with that, in reference to A2's story, including a large amount of critics, and they would be the first ones to point out a bad story.

And lets not pretend Marvel films are Shakespear or somehting. They are as painting by numbers as they come.

Thousands of great stories but we get films like Morbius,  widow and shows like she hulk says it all. Lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

I mean biggest franchise in the world, and Endgame being the finale to a 20 something film series, and it needed a late expansion to just about beat AVATAR from 10 years earlier WW.

Says it all for me.

Okay and? 

Those two movies are the highest grossing movies worldwide with room to spare, what $600m to third place?  As we are now seeing with Avatar 2, getting to that ain't as easy as they made it look, is it?  MCU did it their way, which was very impressive and Avatar did it it's own way, which was also very impressive!

• Like 3