CJohn

M3GAN W33K3ND THR3AD | ACTUALS - DADDY CAM3RON'S MAGNUM OPUS 45.8M | DOCUM3NTARY ABOUT KILL3R DOLL 30.4M | ORANG3 PANTH3R 13.5M

5 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

I love Spotlight (though I agree Fury Road should have won). Those were my top two films of 2015!

I would put Sicario, Whiplash and Ex Machina over Spotlight. but it was not a bad BP winner. But Fury Road is an all time great film and should have won.

Really at the end of the day, I think both A2 and TGM rely far too heavily on spectacle without paying enough attention to the other aspects of the film to be BP worthy. A1 was a far more BP worthy case bc the screenplay was very effective in its execution in spite of not trying to tread any new ground plot/character wise. 

• Haha 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Really at the end of the day, I think both A2 and TGM rely far too heavily on spectacle without paying enough attention to the other aspects of the film to be BP worthy. A1 was a far more BP worthy case bc the screenplay was very effective in its execution in spite of not trying to tread any new ground plot/character wise. 

Out of curiosity, which movie of 2022 do you think would deserve the BP win?

18 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Thats very fair, Mad Max - despite its 6 (i think?) wins - should have won Best picture. If i remember right, Spotlight won for 2015 and come on, who actually saw or remembers Spotlight?

This is the most insipid Oscars argument ever. Does AMPAS have a crystal bal that will predict what movies people will “remember?” Especially since Spotlight is far from forgotten and how much people “remember” a movie is super subjective from person to person that is impossible to scientifically prove?

• Like 4

Just now, 3RIC said:

This is the most insipid Oscars argument ever. Does AMPAS have a crystal bal that will predict what movies people will “remember?” Especially since Spotlight is far from forgotten and how much people “remember” a movie is super subjective from person to person that is impossible to scientifically prove?

Yeah that is fair. Wasnt my best post.

9 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

I would put Sicario, Whiplash and Ex Machina over Spotlight. but it was not a bad BP winner. But Fury Road is an all time great film and should have won.

Whiplash is 2014 in the U.S. and for Oscar consideration (and would have been my pick for that year), but nice picks!

FYI, I would like EEAAO or The Banshees of Inisherin to win Best Picture. The Fabelmans was a 7/10 for me and I thought Michelle Williams gave a completely miscalculated performance. Babylon is mid. TGM is great. So is A2. Tar is very accomplished, I just didn't emotionally respond to it, but Blanchett should win. Still need to catch Women Talking and Elvis.

6 minutes ago, 3RIC said:

No cultural impact! 

10 minutes ago, 3RIC said:

When were we discussing what will be “remembered” though? I for one was giving my opinion on why TGM as a BP winner seems dripping with nostalgia bias. Didn’t make any prediction about what movie is going to have the best reputation in the future. 

Edit: my bad, missed what you were quoting. Though I’d argue there that we definitely have the context to say something like Spotlight wasn’t remembered. 

Edited by MovieMan89

10 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

FYI, I would like EEAAO or The Banshees of Inisherin to win Best Picture. The Fabelmans was a 7/10 for me and I thought Michelle Williams gave a completely miscalculated performance. Babylon is mid. TGM is great. So is A2. Tar is very accomplished, I just didn't emotionally respond to it, but Blanchett should win. Still need to catch Women Talking and Elvis.

How can it be miscalculated if the son of the real person she is playing is behind the camera?

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

The recent Mission Impossible movies have been infinitely more compelling in their stories and characters than TGM.

I strongly disagree, I thought TGM story and characters are far superior to last MI films and I believe it's the reason why TGM did much better both box office and reception wise. Ethan Hunt is just Tom Cruise, he has no personality or good backstory behind him at all, it's a non-existent character carried entirely by Tom's charisma. The same with every single other MI character, Ving Rhames is just Ving Rhames who's just Tom's friend. Simon Pegg is just Simon Pegg who's just Tom's friend. MI5 actually fooled me into thinking that Rebecca Fergusson is not a good actress because her character was so generic and boring with zero personality, until I was blown away by her perfomance in Doctor Sleep and changed my opinion about her completely. Tom actually has a character to play in Maverick, with a backstory, personality (also infused with Cruise's personality of course), internal conflict and real character arc. And supporting cast while not anything deep at least have some unique traits to differentiate them and simple character arcs. I'm not even talking about emotional stuff in TGM, especially by the end, that elevated Maverick to higher level than it would've been with just action and gave it its legs/awards attention, something not a single MI has. And by the way I really like MI movies, especially the last one, but story and characters are just an excuse to do crazy action and stunts there.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Mr Roark said:

A2 is filmmaking 10 years in the future about anti war/pro nature and they should give the award to Maverick and its military “makes us proud and measuring dicks” filled with nostalgia rhetoric?

Don't see how this is relevant to being the best picture at all.