CJohn

M3GAN W33K3ND THR3AD | ACTUALS - DADDY CAM3RON'S MAGNUM OPUS 45.8M | DOCUM3NTARY ABOUT KILL3R DOLL 30.4M | ORANG3 PANTH3R 13.5M

Just now, LinksterAC said:

I don’t think it’s strange.

I don’t know that I think EG’s run was more impressive. I’d say similarly impressive. 

But I can see people favoring one or the other.

Agreed. They are both extremely impressive in unique ways. I mean a $1.2b global opening is pretty stunning... As is opening at $77m domestic and then going on to gross almost $750m domestic on the initial run, but I'd definitely give the edge to Avatar since it was a completely brand new property and wasn't the culmination of almost two dozen films. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Are you saying that global cinema is back to pre-covid strength?

I could have lost arm arm PAST TENSE, and it still be gone

That’s not the question I think we should be asking.

The question I’m asking is: is COVID likely to affect people’s ability &/or decision making about going to the movies?

My answer: not more than any number of respiratory viruses that prevented people from seeing movies every year. 

With the exception of China, of course.

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

The only thing stopping it being at the same strength is that the release schedule is lighter than it should be. Average gross per movie is on a par with 2019. 

Just now, SchumacherFTW said:

The only thing stopping it being at the same strength is that the release schedule is lighter than it should be. Average gross per movie is on a par with 2019. 

inflation is about 20% over last 3 years, 25% over 4. Global rescession

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

I think some poeple are being a bit disengenous at the moment.

When i came back to the site a few months ago, all i have heard on here is how the 'climate has changed' and we need to accept it, cinema going is way down and may not come back etc. Now people are acting like that isnt the case and everything is back to normal, just because A2 is doing so well.

Come on guys.

Whatever fits the narrative. That's the game now. 😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

Eh?, i'd love to here the reasoning behind that one lol.

Something to do with ticket sales in emerging regions and forgetting that endgame made $650m from china due to market growth

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

the frequency of people going to the movies is obvi less as seen by the annual gross. However people will still show up to blockbuster events and it's atleast 95% for event movies as it was before. Just look at NWH and that was in a far worse environment. A2 doesnt get to have that excuse and it's covid excuse in most regions is almost non existant. 

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Happen is a bit relative, we would be talking about ~320M admissions instead of 250-260M if China didn't suffer with Covid as we speak

I have a hard time seeing China account for ~100M admissions from where I’m sitting. Can you get me there?

4 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

WTF?, i predicted around 100mil for the international weekend.

132mil is crazy.

So who STILL thinks this wont hit 2bil WW?. Christ we will be talking 2.3+bil.

Edited by stuart360