Eric Deetz

Trap | August 2, 2024 | Warner Bros. | M. Night Shyamalan

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, excel1 said:

break out summer sensation incoming 

We have been hearing that about M Night for a long time now: his next film will put him back in the "A" brackett the way he was before "Lady In the Water"..

Sorry, not going to happen. He has found a comfortable and profitible niche , and I suspect that is where he will stay.

He has his shot at becoming a Speilberg/Lucas/Camaron level director, and more or less blew it. But is lucky, a lo tof filmakers would love to have a sucessful niche like he has found.

Edited by dudalb

12 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

This looks good. If MNS had higher equity, this would have been headlined by a big star. That would have ensured huge OW. Not convinced this is opening big with Josh Hartnett in lead even if he is a decent actor. 

I don't think Harnett is a draw at the box office. He has some name recongition, but name recognition and being a box office draw are two different things.

The Trap will be like most M Night films for the past 15 years: It will make a good profit but will not be a really big hit and will not put M Night back on top.

A lot of the younger people here don't remember how big M Night was in rhe late 1999-2006: He was an A list director and was spoken of as the next Speilberg. Then along came "Lady In the Water" and his career never really  reached those heights again.

But he luckier then most filmmakers;He has bound a nice, profitable niche for himself.

And if pigs had wings etc,etc.

I am not knocking MNS, but  he does not have the power..and money...to command the big names, and he has nobody but himself to blame for that since he lost his A level director status with a series of box office fails.

And no, I don't think he will ever get back to the status he had from 1999 to 2006 when he was one of the most powerful filmmakers in Hollywood .

4 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

This looks good. If MNS had higher equity, this would have been headlined by a big star. That would have ensured huge OW. Not convinced this is opening big with Josh Hartnett in lead even if he is a decent actor. 

Of course Josh isn't a A list draw, it's 2024, not 2004, but he has always occupied a weird place in pop culture as someone of extremely high peak fame who truly disappeared for a wile, suspect it'll be a unique PR play.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And if pigs had wings etc,etc.

I am not knocking MNS, but  he does not have the power..and money...to command the big names, and he has nobody but himself to blame for that since he lost his A level director status with a series of box office fails.

And no, I don't think he will ever get back to the status he had from 1999 to 2006 when he was one of the most powerful filmmakers in Hollywood .

MNS status really fell off of a cliff after 2004 The Village, which looked so promising and had a unique twist, the film itself was just real sloppy. Lady In Water was not good and then The Happening up next, followed by Avatar, then AI...he had quite the run of crap 🤣

2 hours ago, excel1 said:

MNS status really fell off of a cliff after 2004 The Village, which looked so promising and had a unique twist, the film itself was just real sloppy. Lady In Water was not good and then The Happening up next, followed by Avatar, then AI...he had quite the run of crap 🤣

The Village was(is) very good.

Is always quite funny seeing people talking about Shyamalan awful movies, because the divisive aspects of them made them not be badly received everywhere 

Movies like The Village, Glass, even Lady In The Water have some very decent critical reception in some countries while totally panned on US 

6 hours ago, efialtes76 said:

The Village was(is) very good.

The Village trailers were so good. Part of the epic summer 2004 tentpole line up.

On 6/5/2024 at 3:59 PM, Insomnia said:

The title says the 2nd. Was it moved back again? I'd like it if that were true, even though that's D&W's 2nd weekend. I feel like that's still better than being lumped with Borderlands and It Ends with Us on the 9th.

rick.jpg

3 minutes ago, belblazer said:

Is it because of Deadpool?

It may be because they're pretty confident in it and feel the extra week in August outweighs the downfalls of opening in the wake of Deadpool. I don't think it's a bad play. Unfortunately it's just not going to be able to rely on PLF's with Deadpool and Twisters hogging them. But again, the extra week of summer makes up for this a bit.

14 minutes ago, excel1 said:

They may think people will just be in the movie-going mood.

I definitely think so and I've touched on this before. I believe the latter part of summer (July through early August particularly) is going to be the sweet spot for studios to release their summer slate in, with May and June cooling off a bit in that regard. This is because July and August are the "beat the heat" months when audiences are more in the mood. When theatre going was more of a normal activity, the entire summer was the sweet spot but I think studios are going to start honing in on this particular corridor of the summer and you're seeing it with the way they're willing to stack theo the of July.

I could be waaaay off though. Guess my theory will be put to the test next year when we get a full, healthy slate.

Going up against the 2nd weekend of Deadpool is a bad move. Should have pushed it back a week instead.

EDIT: Dismiss this, the following week had Alien.