Eric Deetz

Trap | August 2, 2024 | Warner Bros. | M. Night Shyamalan

16 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I think it's supposed to be a comedy and I'm all for it. Old works best as a wicked, circus freakshow comedy.

Ageism strikes again.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Eric Twister said:

"We bonded over being to early 2000s kings whose careers did not become what many one envisioned. When I told him he had never done anything close to the caliber of The Sixth Sense, he reminded me of what his face once looked like in Pearl Harbor....touche, I responded"

• Astonished 1

14 hours ago, excel1 said:

"We bonded over being to early 2000s kings whose careers did not become what many one envisioned. When I told him he had never done anything close to the caliber of The Sixth Sense, he reminded me of what his face once looked like in Pearl Harbor....touche, I responded"

Haha this really is the early 2000s Royal Tenanbaum Bros collab

Since this is M. Night and the marketing seems to be putting it out there that Hartnett is the killer in no uncertain terms, my guess is that there's an even bigger twist that they're trying to keep under wraps for as long as possible.

Or the movie just plain sucks, which wouldn't be a surprise either.

Hoping this is good so my buddy can’t say “i told you so” since he saw an early test screening for this & hated it, but the late embargo's doing no favors. Would be a shame if something with a premise as cool as this was a dud, but sadly feeling like that might be the case. Still holding onto some hope

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Shyamalan isn’t an artist for American taste for quite some time now, there’s no reason to expect more than acceptable reviews at best 

Which is what i’m expecting tbh. Warner is usually very weird about press screenings, this isn’t totally new for them. Even Barbie get a similar weird strategy. I don’t think this is because the movie is awful

Feels like studios in general have been deemphasizing traditional critics, especially for genre films. Even Neon had that weird staggered embargo for Longlegs, which put genre blogs in the spotlight while not allowing more prestigious outlets to review it until later.

Trap does seem like the kind of movie where social media reactions/buzz are more likely to move the needle than reviews, unless the reviews are crazy good which I don't think even the most optimistic are expecting.

Honestly, it would be a shame if Night didn’t hit a home run on this. The trailers were so good. I really want this to be good, still lol. The idea of setting a horror film during a quasi-live concert film is such a cool concept. Idk. Still crossing my fingers lol

Been following test screening reactions for a while and overall they seem all over the place, saw people say it was absolutely terrible while others loved it. Also just saw someone post on Twitter that it was torture to sit through and they're not surprised critic screenings were cancelled and then they deleted it 😭 Still excited for this because a lot of the movies people say suck I love (I'll defend Glass with my life) but man I'm sad. Thought this one would be a real hit instead of miss.

Look at WB so wisely playing up the Hartnett nostalgia comeback factor for gen z

Edited by excel1