kayumanggi

THE LITTLE MERMAID | 271.5M overseas | 569.6M worldwide

If the film is great, it will find its audience. BP is a great example. Not every market, but in general. Fact is, none of these Disney remakes were great. If I say that nearly all of them are trash, you can't disagree much. Obviously in some cases the audience will eat up certain titles no matter what, but it is lazy to expect that for every tentpole.

Edited by The Dark Alfred

19 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

It's not racist to reject any movie with dark skinned people?

Indians don't much like to watch female-lead movies in theatres; not a single female-lead Indian movie has grossed more than 200 crores in India, I think, so should we call them misogynists? Such questions are tough to answer, and I personally won't call them racist or misogynist if they aren't interested in black or female movies. I consider them racists or sexists only if they try to bring down those movies through trolling and hate campaigns.

Edited by Willowra
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Indians don't much like to watch female-lead movies in theatres; not a single female-lead Indian movie has grossed more than 200 crores in India, I think, so should we call them misogynists? Such questions are tough to answer, and I personally won't call them racist or misogynist if they aren't interested in black or female movies. I consider them racists or sexists only if they try to bring down those movies through trolling and hate campaigns.

It is not a tough answer at all. Nice try to dance around the obvious. India is one of the most misogynists countries on the planet. It is an undeniable fact. Misogyny is one of the oldest Indian tradition. Not just reflected in the culture, but also enshrined in laws.  

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Willowra said:

I'm from India and very few Chinese & Korean movies runs in theatres here. I don't know if there is audience of China & Korea movies in India. @charlie Jatinder  knows better about this. But if they make blockbuster movies on the level of Avengers/Star Wars, and if they releases in theatres here I'll definitely give them try. It seems like Chinese and Korean people don't like to watch Black lead movies and American Chinese-Korean actor movies as there is a trend about this which I can't ignore.

Why on earth would they watch an american chinese-korean actor movies made by hollywood when they have their own? 

9 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

It is not a tough answer at all. Nice try to dance around the obvious. India is one of the most misogynists countries on the planet. It is an undeniable fact. Misogyny is one of the oldest Indian tradition. Not just reflected in the culture, but also enshrined in laws.  

I really am not comfortable with people saying negative stuff about countries just because people aren't willing to watch a movie.

Let's be honest, You can't force people or blame them for not wanting to spend their money on a movie.

Edited by THUNDER BIRD
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Now that tempers have come down, let's have discussion.

Yes it's tough for female lead movies in India and yes India is misogynistic country.

But there have been female actresses who have been Superstars in their own right, some actresses used to be so popular that directors didn't used to kill them in fear that audience would reject the movie if they kill the actress in movie.

And even now there are so many popular actresses, yes their pull is not equal to make Superstars but with right movie they can give bigger numbers than current generation male stars.

Also for all misogynist India, we don't usually start harping online about how Bollywood is ruining cinema if a female lead movie or web series is announced. Watching or not watching is a choice but we don't really go out of our way and spread hatred for female lead movies. It's not perfect, but it's better than going crazy just because a female lead movie exist.

26 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Not all are misogynists in real life, even females don't like to watch female lead in movies in theatre in India, they prefer to watch macho male movies in theatres. What should we call them?

Edited by Willowra

20 minutes ago, Sophia Jane said:

Somebody think it’s underperformance in China,but actually the box office now is already higher than Maoyan’s expect lol

I am actually pleasantly surprised by TLM's China run so far tbh, I was expected like $2M total and bulletproof Squirrel was expecting....$0.7M, it gonna be like $4.5-5M though. 

5 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Majority of Americans use this statement when Asian Films doesn't work in their country. I wish if you all could used the same statement against The Little Mermaid 

It's interesting we keep seeing this when the only foreign-language films to really break through the zeitgeist here (give or take Pan's Labyrinth) in the U.S. in the past 25 years have been Asian films.

Edited by Jiffy

8 hours ago, Jiffy said:

It's interesting we keep seeing this when the only foreign-language films to really break through the zeitgeist here (give or take Pan's Labyrinth) in the U.S. in the past 25 years have been Asian films.

Can you name them and how much box office they have, and compare it to the Hollywood films' box office in Asia?🤔

Edited by GipJo
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

India ~ FRIDAY 

₹1.0 Cr GBOC/₹85 lakhs NBOC - $120K

COMPs

Shazam 2 - ₹3.7 Cr GBOC/₹3.1 Cr NBOC - $450K

SATURDAY

₹1.5 Cr GBOC/₹1.27 Cr NBOC - $180K

COMPs

Shazam 2 - ₹4.6 Cr GBOC/₹3.92 Cr NBOC - $560K