kayumanggi

DUNE II | 427.1M overseas | 708.6M worldwide

On 3/1/2024 at 1:28 AM, kayumanggi said:

I think it is very important to remind everyone that aquaman2 was a Wednesday opener whereas dune 2 is a Friday opener which naturally give latter the advantage when come to presale. 

10 hours ago, Jiffy said:

How is the opening relative to expectations? Hadn't kept up with the pre-release tracking OS.

Good question. At first glance to me it seems a little underwhelming considering it is not that much more than its DOM debut while being day and date in most of the important markets except China and Japan i think and the fact Dune Part 1's OS gross was 3-times its DOM haul. Sure, it had to deal with a simultaneous release on HBO Max only in America and the sequel is losing Russia as a market but still.

• Like 1

The day-and-date on HBO Max for the first movie had a much bigger impact in the USA than in most of the world.

In most countries, HBO wasn't even available. So watching in theaters remained the only option (or the other option that shall not be named)

In that context, it seems pretty obvious how not having a day-and-date release on HBO for the 2nd movie would have a much bigger impact in the US than in other countries

• Like 2

Missing a potential $10M in Russia definitely hurts. Add that plus China and Japan if they debuted same time as everyone else and we would have been looking at $135M+

17 minutes ago, ando said:

Missing a potential $10M in Russia definitely hurts. Add that plus China and Japan if they debuted same time as everyone else and we would have been looking at $135M+

avatar 2 missing 500m plus from russia + china hurts also why do you have to remind me

So how are we thinking this movie will do?
Been hearing $600-650m

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, IronJimbo said:

avatar 2 missing 500m plus from russia + china hurts also why do you have to remind me

So how are we thinking this movie will do?
Been hearing $600-650m

We need to have an idea of legs first, the next few weekdays will tell a big story

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bob Train said:

Wonder if second OS weekend can be bigger than first due to China.

Definitely not, isn't it supposed to open with 30M?