kayumanggi

Weekend Thread (02.24 - 02.26) | Actuals: 31.96M QUANTUMANIA | 23.26M COCAINE BEAR | 15.80M JESUS REVOLUTION

Phase 4 (2021-2022) on average was more frontloaded than the previous phases. Generally speaking these sequels are more frontloaded than the new sub-franchise entry points and the MCU has just so happened to have released four (BP2), then five (AM3), and soon six (GotG3) sequels in a row for the first time.

(I made this table yesterday/this morning so it's slightly outdated by today's actuals.)

Hu8etGgt.png
(click here to enlarge)

Edited by MagnarTheGreat
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Feige went to the ATM... 

*Tinfoil hat on*

If I were to fudge the numbers to keep it below 70% I wouldn't buy tickets to get it to exactly -69.999% but I'd buy just enough to get it to not look suspicious. Something like -69.88% sounds about right to me 😉

*Tinfoil hat off*

2 hours ago, belblazer said:

OS second week WITH China lower than Eternals that was not released there lol

It's too early to say that Marvel has gone the Star Wars flop route in China but it's probably a case like DC now where Chinese audiences will pick and choose between certain MCU titles like how they did for DCEU films like Aquaman while ignoring others

9 hours ago, John Marston said:

NWH can be excused because if had huge upfront demand, really big weekdays, and Christmas Eve on Friday which is a slow moviegoing day. Things that don’t apply to something like Ant Man

For sure. Those big 2nd weekend drops are just the nature of the beast for pre-Christmas mega openers, regardless of reception clearly. The only instance where that effect is mitigated is when the calendar configuration is such that the movie opens on the 18th so Christmas lands on the following Friday (as we saw with TFA in 2015).

Edited by Verrows

The MCU is starting to resemble the Fox X-Men movies. Quantumania specifically reminds me of when X-Men Origins: Wolverine had a big opening and dropped 69% on its 2nd weekend en route to a 2.11x final multi ($179.9M off an $85.06M opening). 

Feeling the same kind of thing for Quantumania. Maybe between a $220M and $230M domestic finish.

2 hours ago, Verrows said:

The MCU is starting to resemble the Fox X-Men movies. Quantumania specifically reminds me of when X-Men Origins: Wolverine had a big opening and dropped 69% on its 2nd weekend en route to a 2.11x final multi ($179.9M off an $85.06M opening). 

So basically DCEU? This is what happens when there's interest and some titles in the franchise deliver and others don't.

Honestly, I hope Feige revisits how he handled Phase 3, which looking back, avoided getting punished for a shockingly weak Phase 2 (outside of WS and GOTG) by Kevin beefing up films and upping his game to stay ahead of DC.

CW: Became a quasi-Avengers film

Homecoming: Got a boost from Iron Man

Ragnarok: Got a boost from Hulk and a director with a fresh vision

Black Panther: Introduced in CW and positioned nicely before Infinity War

Captain Marvel: Teased at the end of IW and positioned perfectly between IW and Endgame

With Phase 4, everyone, especially the new characters, were left to fend for themselves except for NWH and MoM. At least The Marvels is a team-up but Carol is teaming up with characters who were introduced in Disney+ shows which is still not the same as teaming up with characters introduced in the movies.

Edited by Spidey Freak

48 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Honestly, I hope Feige revisits how he handled Phase 3, which looking back, avoided getting punished for a shockingly weak Phase 2 (outside of WS and GOTG) by Kevin beefing up films and upping his game to stay ahead of DC. CW became a quasi-Avengers film, Homecoming got a boost from Iron Man, Ragnarok got a boost from Hulk and a director with a fresh vision, Black Panther was introduced in CW and positioned nicely before Infinity War, Captain Marvel was teased at the end of IW and positioned perfectly between IW and Endgame etc.

With Phase 4, everyone, especially the new characters, were left to fend for themselves except for NWH and MoM. At least The Marvels is a team-up but Carol is teaming up with characters who were introduced in Disney+ shows which is still not the same as teaming up with characters introduced in the movies.

Thor4 got the benefit of Thor being in the big 3 of Infinity Saga, and WF got the benefit of T'challa's tribute. The Marvels still has time; let's see what they reveal at SDCC or Secret Invasion and how much it boosts The Marvels.

Edited by Willowra
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

So basically DCEU? This is what happens when there's interest and some titles in the franchise deliver and others don't.

Honestly, I hope Feige revisits how he handled Phase 3, which looking back, avoided getting punished for a shockingly weak Phase 2 (outside of WS and GOTG) by Kevin beefing up films and upping his game to stay ahead of DC. CW became a quasi-Avengers film, Homecoming got a boost from Iron Man, Ragnarok got a boost from Hulk and a director with a fresh vision, Black Panther was introduced in CW and positioned nicely before Infinity War, Captain Marvel was teased at the end of IW and positioned perfectly between IW and Endgame etc.

Yeah phase 2 was weak but even the weak installments in the end propelled the whole narrative forward. It  also had gotg n WS which are still in my top 3 MCU.

The problem with phase 4 is the middling reception while Not really move the whole narrative forward.

Whole phase felt experimental , inconsequential and dead weight for the most part.

Feige try to be more creative which is good but the writing just wasn't up to standard or they wouldn't go the whole way n the formulaic endings would ruin the stories esp tv shows .

• Like 2

Everyone keeps mentioning phases of the MCU movies but folks are actually not aware of that stuff because it feels like there hasn't been a time in the past 10 years that a Marvel movie wasn't playing. So if they truly do not want to become too boring, they should make a longer break. They will obviously not do that.

1 hour ago, Willowra said:

Thor4 got the benefit of Thor being in the big 3 of Infinity Saga, and WF got the benefit of T'challa's tribute. The Marvels still has time; let's see what they reveal at SDCC or Secret Invasion and how much it boosts The Marvels.

Neither SDCC nor a TV show are going to boost The Marvels by very much. Which is one of its major issues, it’s not a Captain Marvel film, instead two tv characters 85% of the audience have zero idea about are being inserted into the film. Audiences know the difference between CM2 and ‘The Marvels’.

Good reception will be the thing that helps Marvels but for me its conceptually a clear sign of arrogance from Disney. If am Disney am rebranding it at SDCC to Captain Marvel 2 with a sub title or ‘The Marvels, a Captain Marvel story’ (which is still shit).

It’s clear not enough people are watching the TV shows to support the film side and D+ has flatlined growth wise in key markets.

19 minutes ago, european1992 said:

Everyone keeps mentioning phases of the MCU movies but folks are actually not aware of that stuff because it feels like there hasn't been a time in the past 10 years that a Marvel movie wasn't playing. So if they truly do not want to become too boring, they should make a longer break. They will obviously not do that.

Ya. I wasn’t aware of this stuff until Phase 4 when my interest in the series was growing. It’s clearly just a marketing term right now. There’s no real distinction between a lot of phases.

I’d argue you could split it into two phases all together - Infinity Stone saga and then ‘after’ Infinity Stone saga. 

18 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

Neither SDCC nor a TV show are going to boost The Marvels by very much.

This is definitely not my concern; if she is the lead or one of the leads of Avengers: KD, as they themselves are giving indications and now scoopers are also saying, then it makes sense to them to reveal it to GA before The Marvels so that they take her movie more seriously.

19 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

Which is one of its major issues, it’s not a Captain Marvel film, instead two tv characters 85% of the audience have zero idea about are being inserted into the film. Audiences know the difference between CM2 and ‘The Marvels’.

Good reception will be the thing that helps Marvels but for me its conceptually a clear sign of arrogance from Disney. If am Disney am rebranding it at SDCC to Captain Marvel 2 with a sub title or ‘The Marvels, a Captain Marvel story’ (which is still shit).

It’s clear not enough people are watching the TV shows to support the film side and D+ has flatlined growth wise in key markets.

The Marvels is a Captain Marvel movie in the same way that The Brave and the Bold will be a Batman movie. So it's silly to discuss this topic.

The MCU long has become the McDonalds of Cinema. You know what it is, you know how it tastes like it, you know its nothing special anymore, but since you mostly like the taste and it has that air of familiarity, you go anyway.

Until youve had enough of all the burgers (mediocre VFX), french fries (same old jokes on repeat) and chicken nuggets (and another post credits scene ... and another post credits scene). Then you get hungry for some real restaurant food (Top Gun 2, Avatar 2, Puss in Boots 2) and McDonalds appears more and more boring. Especially so when you find out how theyre treating their employs beyond all the burgers and nuggets (badly paid and under-appreciated VFX workers).

McDonalds i mean Marvel wont die. Its too big and still way too popular to die. But more and more once loyal costumers may find the tastes more and more unworthy of their money and thats a problem Marvel i mean McDonals i mean Marvel must realize if they dont want their money making machine to stop.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Knock It Off 1