Eric Prime

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

Just now, FunkMiller said:

I have a high level of contempt for all of the major studios, but I think Disney are especially egregious in all of this, given that they are one of the oldest and (hah) most respected of all the 'old school' movie companies, and to see them at the absolute tip of the spear when it comes to all of this shady, cynical, exploitative garbage is sick making. 

Nah, all of them are. Not singling out Disney here. We have several shitty examples posted itt with similar examples from WB and Netflix. All of them suck, don’t have favorite studios is always good advice. 

Fuck Netflix, WB and THR too for the crass misinformation. Pretty sure this is correct, Netflix is the one owing residuals from Gilmore Girls. Very similar to the situation with DeKnight and Daredevil, in that case, D+ owes him from the time that D+ has it on their platform forward.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

The very same point that @MysteryMovieMogul was making yesterday. These people? These sycophants that have film studios as part of their identities and pride themselves at how edgy they are, either by film elitism or silly franchise wars aren’t helping. They are part of the problem, actually. 

The irony of all of this is, these idiots who are celebrating writers and actors getting shafted just because they are 'woke' are missing the very clear and central point that if the strikers get what they want (better residuals for streaming, meaning more transparency about streaming figures) then we'll all get to see whether the woke shows that they hate so much are successful or not.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

The irony of all of this is, these idiots who are celebrating writers and actors getting shafted just because they are 'woke' are missing the very clear and central point that if the strikers get what they want (better residuals for streaming, meaning more transparency about streaming figures) then we'll all get to see whether the woke shows that they hate so much are successful or not.

I’m pretty sure that they are. I don’t believe the "poor studios are doomed if they reveal their metrics" excuse. It’s dumb, it’s based on flame wars shit and Samba. It’s a whole different ball game and it’d take time to understand the patterns and how much that means to help them keep subscribers, but it can be done. Keeping the creators in the dark is comfortable. Allowing internet to trash shows thanks to Samba is comfortable. Meanwhile, their subscriber count keeps growing, with a steady income that pays the CEOs their bonuses.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I've seen some hot takes in my time but anyone suggesting Bob Iger is worse than Ron DeSantis is clearly out of their mind!!

There is an obvious political agenda going on, it’s inevitable. I hate what Iger said on MSNBC and all the CEOs are yes the enemy here, Iger included. But there is a difference between Iger saying stupid shit to WB’s and Blumhouse’s CEOs posing with rifles on Instagram at the day of the SAG-AFTRA strike begun.

I’m with Hellboy 100% here:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cusnvejq8Yr/?igshid=YzcxN2Q2NzY0OA==

Like Perlman says, ALL OF THEM are replaceable. The people that actually pour their sweat, hearts and souls to make the films we love won’t go down without a fight. And they aren’t replaceable.

2 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

The very same point that @MysteryMovieMogul was making yesterday. These people? These sycophants that have film studios as part of their identities and pride themselves at how edgy they are, either by film elitism or silly franchise wars aren’t helping. They are part of the problem, actually. 

I just wish folks would call out the people who claim to be on the side of SAG and WGA but then make the same kind of comments "Problem Tomatoes" is.

2 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Some people just crave attention and nothing more. Best to just ignore them.

4 hours ago, FunkMiller said:

Oh god, no. Bezos won't cave to the unions at all. But he'll/they'll exploit any avenue that could benefit them. I guess my point is that Amazon are loyal to absolutely no one, and wherever the best opportunities are, they'll take, and damn those on the receiving end. I'd be incredibly nervous if I was one of the traditional movie companies about what Amazon will do, and to a lesser extent Apple and Netflix.

I mean we're in agreement as to what their philosophy will be, I just think that those "best opportunities" for them at the moment could absolutely be to just screw over everyone else until next year, with SAG and the WGA being the ones that'd suffer the most.