Eric is Quiet

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

Sources tell me that studio executives are hoping to huddle with the National Association of Theatre Owners in an effort to get the word out to SAG-AFTRA how a lengthy strike could really do damage, not just to the motion picture business but also to exhibition itself after cinemas ate dirt during Covid. The news comes as No. 1 theater chain AMC is running out of cash; cinemas can’t go through this again.

So their strategy is to just guilt the actors into giving in?

https://deadline.com/2023/07/dune-part-two-drive-away-dolls-actors-strike-box-office-1235448062/

I think the issue with moving Dune to April is that Zendaya would be doing back to back promo for it and Challengers plus WB has international distribution of the latter. I think March is more likely with Godzilla x Kong moving to May and Furiosa either in June or July. 

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think the issue with moving Dune to April is that Zendaya would be doing back to back promo for it and Challengers plus WB has international distribution of the latter. I think March is more likely with Godzilla x Kong moving to May and Furiosa either in June or July. 

Part of me thinks it’s kinda crazy that Marvel Studios isn’t just replicating their  Captain Marvel move and delaying The Marvels for March 8th, 2024. Just like back in 2019, the International Women’s Day will fall happen on a Friday. But maybe Disney is onto something I don’t know with the holiday date. 

I gotta say dude, I remember backing you up being optimistic about how many films would get delayed this last half of 2023. I’m kinda starting to feel a bit less optimistic. The guilds won’t bow down, neither they should. This might take a while.

Edited by ZattMurdock

2 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Part of me thinks it’s kinda crazy that Marvel Studios isn’t just replicating their  Captain Marvel move and delaying The Marvels for March 8th, 2024. Just like back in 2019, the International Women’s Day will fall happen on a Friday. But maybe Disney is onto something I don’t know with the holiday date. 

I gotta say dude, I remember backing you up being optimistic about how many films would get delayed this last half of 2023. I’m kinda starting to feel a bit less optimistic. The guilds won’t bow down, neither they should. This might take a while.

If The Marvels moves (probably unlikely), I’d bet it goes into the May Deadpool slot. If the strike goes far into the Fall, there’s no way Deadpool or probably even Cap 4 will be ready in time for that date. 

Just now, ZeroHour said:

If The Marvels moves (probably unlikely), I’d bet it goes into the May Deadpool slot. If the strike goes far into the Fall, there’s no way Deadpool or probably even Cap 4 will be ready in time for that date. 

I don’t believe it’s moving either. Marketing deals alone would make that a nightmare scenario. McDonalds figures and Marvel Legends action figures are already out in the wild. Delaying a film like The Marvels is a lot harder than delaying anything else. I feel like the recent trailer flat out giving it a date kinda cemented that it isn’t happening.

With that said, if they did, I think they should consider March 8th far more than May’s Deadpool 3 slot. It would face Kung Fu Panda and clearly there isn’t a single "girls night out" sort of film slated to that date that almost feels weird.

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

Iger's magic touch is missing in his 2nd inning for sure. I dont think he has another magic acquisition in his bag. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/unpacking-bob-igers-bad-pr-week-1235544279/

Iger is one savvy motherfucker. I don’t know if it’s 4D chess or some gross miscalculation, but I do agree with the article that he might be 5 steps ahead but we haven’t realized yet. Also I don’t think he is back to acquire new things, but fulfill the Apple / Disney prophecy. But that’s not the current thing that Iger needs to own up and actually do what he should be doing all along, find ways to make the people that make Disney their billions happy.

Cranston's jab at Flop Iger was awesome but seeing the pictures of all the notable names that showed up to the New York rally today warmed my heart. :wub:

Cranston was one of a number of stars who took the stage to address a crowd of hundreds of SAG-AFTRA members and union supporters at the rally, with others including Steve Buscemi, Wendell Pierce, Christian Slater, Christine Baranski, Stephen Lang, and Titus Burgess. They were joined onstage by fellow actors Michael Shannon, BD Wong, Brendan Fraser, Jessica Chastain, Matt Bomer, Chloë Grace Moretz, and Corey Stoll, and more.

Uh, will somebody notify Rian Johnson that this group of people (minus Shannon only because he already did the first movie, but maybe bring him back for a cameo anyway?) would make for the perfect ensemble (as greedy CEOs from all over the country? Would fit the theme of the franchise after tackling opportunistic families and vapid influencers) for Knives Out 3? Please? Pretty pretty please?! Thank you!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Iger's magic touch is missing in his 2nd inning for sure. I dont think he has another magic acquisition in his bag. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/unpacking-bob-igers-bad-pr-week-1235544279/

His interview backdrop while saying people don't want to work was definitely the most tonedeaf thing since that guy said that writers need to lose their homes.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I wouldn't, some of the woes are due to bad business decisions made before the pandemic which the studios weren't responsible for.

Like a huge overexpansion...they simply built too many screens, and now the overhead for that is hurting the theaters. If a theater is empty, you still have to pay for it;s upkeep.

What gets to me is the theaters should have seen Streaming and the resulting loss of audeince coming' all COvi did was just make it happen a couple of years sooner. Repeat of how they did not see TV coming in the late 40's despite all the signs were there for all to see.

Edited by dudalb

17 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

He also has problem in any further big Disney acquistions will trigger a huge anti trust fight.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Just two weeks ago the AMPTP was all like “let those peasants starve” and now they’re trying to guilt trip the unions into ending the strike. They must be starting to get desperate. 

I think they made a huge miscalculation how strong the actors are staying together.

When you have someobdy who is usually non political as the Rock giving a lot of money to the Union strike fund, you got a problem.

21 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Hell, the majority of members of SAG have to get non acting work to make ends meet.

Any actor who can make a living acting full time is lucky. The majority can't. Simply too  many actors and too few roles.

I suport the SAG 1000% but I don't see this ever chainging.Acting has always been a really, really, hard way to make a living.

Edited by dudalb

36 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Just two weeks ago the AMPTP was all like “let those peasants starve” and now they’re trying to guilt trip the unions into ending the strike. They must be starting to get desperate. 

Well, the “let those peasants starve” was about the writers.

AMPTP always tried to manipulate the actors to not strike (whitout giving them anything).