Eric the Minion

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

7 minutes ago, Hildagarde25 said:

👏 I read that piece and was disgusted as well as surprised anyone thought releasing that was a good idea. More power to the writers and actors.  

I guess they thought they could intimidate the writers by publishing it, but it’s baffling that they apparently didn’t realize how bad it made them look. Did they really think it would endear the public to their side? 

• Like 2

I find it hard to believe that piece was actually commissioned by AMPTP themselves. I literally can't imagine anyone thinking it would actually give them leverage. Deadline probably cooked the whole thing up just to stir the pot. They've skirted journalistic ethics before.

Edited by AniNate

The "drag the strike out until WGA members start facing the risk of homelessness" piece is so absolutely diabolical that I can't imagine anyone at AMPTP would've approved it.

This whole crazy scenario is the kind of thing that would normally seem to come from the imagination of a Hollywood screenwriter except in this case, it's real. The types of situations that many dismiss under the "this only ever happen in the movies" category sometimes occur in reality more often than they think.

12 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I find it hard to believe that piece was actually commissioned by AMPTP themselves. I literally can't imagine anyone thinking it would actually give them leverage. Deadline probably cooked the whole thing up just to stir the pot. They've skirted journalistic ethics before.

If the AMPTP had nothing to do with it, then they’re gonna need to come out and say it, because that’s beyond a terrible look for them. 

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

If the AMPTP had nothing to do with it, then they’re gonna need to come out and say it, because that’s beyond a terrible look for them. 

Well since the sources are all conveniently anonymous no one can really confirm or deny it

It doesn't really matter I think. Everyone who hates them will still hate them regardless, and that statement is probably enough to get the piece out of the news cycle. 

Edited by AniNate

5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

It seems the AMPTP has already said the plan to drag the WGA strike is a lie.

17 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

When I read that my first thought was "What kind of morons does AMPTP have running it's PR department?God, you think somebody in the entertainment industry, where looks and appreance are everything..would freaking know better

Edited by dudalb

9 minutes ago, Kon said:

It seems the AMPTP has already said the plan to drag the WGA strike is a lie.

Of course they are going to say that.

But now most people in the WGA and Probalby the SAG will think "They are just saying that because it got leaked to the public rather then stay behind closed doors".

And the response whoul have been faster.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dudalb said:

When I read that my first thought was "What kind of morons does AMPTP have running it's PR department?God, you think somebody in the entertainment industry, where looks and appreance are everything..would freaking know better

Which is why I don't think they are responsible for this. I mean the biggest winner of all this is Deadline, they got the clicks, the hateshares and the ad revenue. They exploited social media's prejudice with a dubiously sourced piece that pushed all of the emotional buttons. For all we know that "studio exec" was an intern. 

Edited by AniNate

Just now, AniNate said:

Which is why I don't think they are responsible for this. I mean the biggest winner of all this is Deadline, they got the clicks, the hateshares and the ad revenue.

Nope, the WGA are the winners.

17 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Well, I don't want to say they wrote it up but... I guess the possibility is there

No, it really isn't.

===

Look, there are people really dumb shortsighted/naive enough in the world of business to think a scare piece like the one that went out last night Would Be A Good Look.

And, in the end, it really doesn't matter who leaked it:

1] SAG and WGA got emboldened

2] AMPTP got put on the back foot and embarassed

Literally nothing else matters (and even those two bullet points don't matter all that much in the end).

Even continuing discussion of "Were (parts of) the AMPTP really caricatures of Saturday Morning Cartoon Villains" is a net plus for the Guilds, as it keeps the story alive.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

I absolutely think there are certain people in AMPTP who are greedy evil assholes, but I think it's worth calling out that Deadline is also owned by an evil megacorp willing to forgo ethics to make money.

When the strike was first starting people were really trying to make a big deal of not believing anything you read in the trades, and I think it needs to hold true even when the reporting says something incendiary. I'd rather support the guilds by calling out more grounded points like Dave Zaslav's general existence than all this anonymous button pushing. 

Edited by AniNate

47 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Which is why I don't think they are responsible for this. I mean the biggest winner of all this is Deadline, they got the clicks, the hateshares and the ad revenue. They exploited social media's prejudice with a dubiously sourced piece that pushed all of the emotional buttons. For all we know that "studio exec" was an intern. 

There’s no chance in hell this stuff gets published without studio fingers in it. The AMPTP does not care one whit about public opinion. Stuff like this is designed to frighten WGA members and cause other guilds to pressure them toward a deal. It’s how they’ve done it in the past. What they don’t realize is they’ve misread the room, and cross-union solidarity is WAY stronger this time around. 

• Like 8