Eric the Minion

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

1 minute ago, MightyDargon said:

That's assuming some of these folks aren't paid trolls for the studios here to cause chaos.

I really doubt studios give a damn about what we say on this website.

And now we are headed into paranoia and conspiracy theories..not a good place.

1 minute ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

So, what are the rules on publicity interviews filmed prior to the Strike being called? Because Kevin Nealon released this interview with James Marsden hours after the strike was called: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZjcMvSM8jQ

If they were made before the strike began, no problem with them.

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

So you want to give govenrment burueacrats complet control of your life?

I am not particularly bothered about public enterprise. Social welfare and equality stand higher than selfish interest, and this does not threaten personal property in any way. And if things are the way *they're supposed to be*, it has as little bureaucracy as possible

4 minutes ago, Michael Gary Scott said:

Idk what's so hard to realize if you make a piece of art you should be fairly compensated. 400 bucks for an episode of She Hulk seems very low I can see why they went on strike. 

i mean makes sense why the show was bad if they spend 400 bucks on the story now

(they should get more just saying lol) 

• Knock It Off 1

13 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I am not particularly bothered about public enterprise. Social welfare and equality stand higher than selfish interest, and this does not threaten personal property in any way. And if things are the way *they're supposed to be*, it has as little bureaucracy as possible

Good luck with having government control without a huge bureaucracy.

3 minutes ago, Michael Gary Scott said:

Idk what's so hard to realize if you make a piece of art you should be fairly compensated. 400 bucks for an episode of She Hulk seems very low I can see why they went on strike. 

To be fair, that's the residual (not sure whether monthly or yearly) for one episode to one creator.

Still, it's pretty clear the residuals for writers or actors need to be bigger.

• Community Manager
21 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

So, what are the rules on publicity interviews filmed prior to the Strike being called? Because Kevin Nealon released this interview with James Marsden hours after the strike was called: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZjcMvSM8jQ

Those are fine. SAG can't control when interviews come out.

• Like 2

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, lab276 said:

Studios should probably have gone all in on Netflix rather than starting their own streaming services. 

I think going after their own streaming services was smart. Locking them behind a sub fee instead of going ad supported was IMO the problem. (Yeah peacock has it's free component but it locked originals and a lot of content behind a paywall).

• Like 1

I’m just not sure how you can get the general public on board with fair compensation of not just creatives but everyone below the line. How do you get people who are in the habit of paying $15 or whatever a month for all content, or worse, downloading things illegally for free, to pay the fair cost what it takes to actually produce the art?