Eric is Quiet

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

25 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I find it interesting that there is separate unions for screen acting and stage acting in the US whereas in the UK Equity covers both. Likewise with writers, the WGGB covers all forms of writing whether it's TV, Film or theatre whereas the WGA is solely screenwriter, there is no union for playwrights.

One reason is probaly that the film industry in the UK centered in London, which is also the live theater hub, where in the US New York City is the center for stage acting and LA is the film capital. But since the two unions have a lot of joint members, and they generally cooperate very closely on major issues, probably does not make much difference.

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I find it interesting that there is separate unions for screen acting and stage acting in the US whereas in the UK Equity covers both. Likewise with writers, the WGGB covers all forms of writing whether it's TV, Film or theatre whereas the WGA is solely screenwriter, there is no union for playwrights.

I think when actors got around to unionizing in the UK, their film and stage industries were both based in London. It probably made organizing easier and the British film industry was probably smaller than its US counterpart.

In America, SAG wasn't formed until the 1930s, when movie studios were firmly in Hollywood while Broadway was 3,000 miles away. The industries just developed on their own separate paths here, SAG and Actors Equity still can't even reconcile enough to play recordings of Broadway shows in movie theaters. This is a regular thing in the UK and helps both cinemas and the West End.

58 minutes ago, DInky said:

Fran invoking Versailles, Hellboy saying we know where you execs live... Yeah, this strike won't be over any time soon.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

Just now, Cappoedameron said:

I'm sure it wasn't Legendary that cancelled it...

Okay, so Discussing Film is 100% a scab outlet, right? There was no reason for them to Tweet this if no one even knew there was a DUNE 2 panel. They did this to spark outrage at those striking, not the studios.

1 minute ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Okay, so Discussing Film is 100% a scab outlet, right? There was no reason for them to Tweet this if no one even knew there was a DUNE 2 panel. They did this to spark outrage at those striking, not the studios.

Definitely not, they stand in solidarity with the writers and actors.

4 hours ago, FunkMiller said:

Literally seeing the same people who endlessly complain about stuff being too woke now, defending the executives that have greenlit all the stuff that they claim to despise.

You couldn't make it up.

This is especially weird.

I remember they blaming writers for stories being "too woke". However, writers likely have very little power to decide such things.

2 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Nah. That’s the trades. DiscussingFilm works more like a news aggregator for films. At very least they don’t spew studios propaganda OR fake leaks shit.

2 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Then why publish that Tweet? It doesn't make Studios look bad at all. It makes it look like the strike ruined a Comic Con surprise.

The strike ruined the Comic Con surprise. It just depends on who you blame for the strike (I blame the studios).

2 minutes ago, Kon said:

The strike ruined the Comic Con surprise. It just depends on who you blame for the strike (I blame the studios).

As do I, but because of the nature of social media, I consider any Tweet not choosing a side as not taking a stand. Twitter is increasingly conservative in recent months, so I think it's important to take such a stand.

4 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

As do I, but because of the nature of social media, I consider any Tweet not choosing a side as not taking a stand. Twitter is increasingly conservative in recent months, so I think it's important to take such a stand.

...Bro no social media is increasingly conservative except truth social if that's even still a thing.

Social Media in general is very pro-liberal. 

27 minutes ago, DInky said:

Comments and quotes filled with Snyder fans saying just the worst things. Ugh.

I don;t doubt you,given the past behavior of the Snyder cult, but could you post a link to some examples?

12 minutes ago, Kon said:

Givne the issues at stake, forgive me if I can;t work up much sorrow at a Comic Con surpise being ruined.

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I don;t doubt you,given the past behavior of the Snyder cult, but could you post a link to some examples?

Just click on the Hollywood Reporter tweet with the video (embedded by ZattMurdock) and see for yourself.

32 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

28 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Then why publish that Tweet? It doesn't make Studios look bad at all. It makes it look like the strike ruined a Comic Con surprise.

24 minutes ago, Kon said:

11 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Givne the issues at stake, forgive me if I can;t work up much sorrow at a Comic Con surpise being ruined.

As someone literally packing to go to San Diego next week, this is such a non-issue, even to the folks going. 

Everyone knows it’s going to be a quiet year. When literally NONE of the TV panels listed ANY of the actors as attending, you could read between the lines. 

There is nothing scheduled for Hall H, so the idea of them even calling it a “surprise panel” is a stretch. It’s not like there was the big gap in the schedule, and everyone was playing a guessing game. 

And Lionsgate is a studio. So if they cancelled, it’s on them. They are to blame, not SAG. They could have just brought the footage with a producer to intro it and fill the rest of the time with hellish Q&A. But they did not.

Anyway, for what it’s worth from a Mod/Admin, I think, well it is definitely nice to see passionate posting about this issue, at times today I think we might’ve headed a little bit off track as we all went back-and-forth and around and round on things. So let’s just make sure that we’re keeping this thread really tight, and focused on updates, and not necessarily Monday morning quarterbacking. 

• Like 2