The Wild Eric

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

1 minute ago, InVy said:

it's strange because according to Nielsen Disney should just be paying to creators of Bluey & Mandalorian & Lin-Manuel Miranda & probably Seth MacFarlane. Everybody else will get 0.

PS. I always thought Disney's budgets were so big because they bought eveything so not to pay afterwards but they still need to pay? Then their budgets are too big though they probably pay their creators good so there's that.

You know that’s complete bullshit, right?

14 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

You know that’s complete bullshit, right?

It;s total nonsense, but don;t know if it deliberate bullshit or just an  lack of knowledge how the film business..or any business works.

48 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I do think a lot of people are being stupid, Warner Bros Discovery isn't going to be shutdown by the end of the year and Disney is unlikely to be sold to Apple. 

It's called "Total Ignorance of how things work in the real business world".

• Like 5

4 hours ago, dudalb said:

I don;t know how many full screenplays are going to be written during the stuike. SOP is to do a rought draft or even just a outline, take it to a studio and try to get a development deal where the studio pays you to finish your script.

Once again, people have no idea of how it works in the industry.

As an actual professional screenwriter, this is not the way it works.  No one accepts a "rough draft" of anything.  If you're setting up an original feature, you either go out to sell a script, or you go out with a pitch to get hired to write the script.  Scriptments and treatments have been sold in rarer situations.  No studio pays anyone to "finish a script."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

With the strike going on somethings gotta give unless Zassy is perfectly fine with having 3 wb movies go up against each other in consecutive weeks and eat at one anothers total box office revenue.

lol that tweet is doing The Most. Studios have released three major titles within a month to positive results several times, especially when the movies are almost completely different from each other (family film, superhero movie, Broadway adaptation aimed primarily at older women) and at the time of year that allows multiple movies to thrive at once.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

lol that tweet is doing The Most. Studios have released three major titles within a month to positive results several times, especially when the movies are almost completely different from each other (family film, superhero movie, Broadway adaptation aimed primarily at older women) and at the time of year that allows multiple movies to thrive at once.

And you also realize how ridiculously idiotic it is to do that with arguably your 3 biggest upcoming movies that are finished in the middle of possibly the worst writers/actors strike ever or no? 

10 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I do think a lot of people are being stupid, Warner Bros Discovery isn't going to be shutdown by the end of the year and Disney is unlikely to be sold to Apple. 

If you’re referring to the comment I made, you’ll notice if you read it, that I said WB could well be operating differently by the end of the year. No one has suggested they will be shutdown, I don’t think? But in a situation where they are heavily in debt, with a series of large box office failures, and a massive strike shutdown, and a recent history of chaotic management changes, it’s perfectly likely that they could undergo more changes if this strike goes on for a long time.

9 hours ago, filmlover said:

Given how empty December 2023 with , WB probably will be making a lot of dough from these films. 

The Color Purple is more of an awards play compared to Wonka but also despite being musicals, are very different in terms of content. 

8 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

And you also realize how ridiculously idiotic it is to do that with arguably your 3 biggest upcoming movies that are finished in the middle of possibly the worst writers/actors strike ever or no? 

I for one am actually excited by the prospect of one studio (WB) keeping me at the movies this Christmas since I'm definitely seeing all three of those :lol: (and am skeptical of anything that isn't being marketed already making its release date).

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I for one am actually excited by the prospect of one studio (WB) keeping me at the movies this Christmas since I'm definitely seeing all three of those :lol: (and am skeptical of anything that isn't being marketed already making its release date).

Out of WB's three December films, I think Aquaman is the most likely to be pushed to 2024. Wonka is perfect for families and TCP is an award play so it's not likely to move. 

9 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Out of WB's three December films, I think Aquaman is the most likely to be pushed to 2024. Wonka is perfect for families and TCP is an award play so it's not likely to move. 

I'll be surprised if Aquaman doesn't release this December regardless of whether the actors can promote it or not tbh. The movie has already been pushed around a lot (it was filmed in 2021 before any additional reshoots, with the first footage from it released in early 2022), the first made a killing in that same release spot, and it's the de facto big action tentpole for Christmas 2023 if the schedule holds (the closest thing to it is Ghostbusters, which isn't that big of an IP given that the recent movies in the franchise have finished in the $125M-130M range + is almost certainly headed to 2024). It's sort of baffling how low on product December was already looking to be even before the strikes, guess everyone assumed Avatar 3 was coming out this year and nothing else would be ready in time.

Edited by filmlover

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'll be surprised if Aquaman doesn't release this December regardless of whether the actors can promote it or not tbh. The movie has already been pushed around a lot (it was filmed in 2021 before any additional reshoots, with the first footage from it released in early 2022), the first made a killing in that same release spot, and it's the de facto big action tentpole for Christmas 2023 if the schedule holds (the closest thing to it is Ghostbusters, which isn't that big of an IP given that the recent movies in the franchise have finished in the $125M-130M range + is almost certainly headed to 2024). It's sort of baffling how low on product December was already looking to be even before the strikes, guess everyone assumed Avatar 3 was coming out this year and nothing else would be ready in time.

I do agree but WB is looking for something to fill a gap in 2024, Aquaman fits the bill better than the other two. 

I suspect if Aquaman moves then Disney will likely move The Marvels to December.