kayumanggi

OPPENHEIMER | 642.6M overseas | 972.4M worldwide

So I just read on weibo that the original theatrical window in China is August 30 to September 29.

But they have now extended it to October 29.

I am not sure if it's common practice or anything but hopefully this will give it better legs in China.

large.DRjdYWS-Imgur.jpg

They are doing the same thing as they did with Avatar 2 back in Spring Festival. Will see how it goes but it's likely crashing into the Holidays because Exibitors will favour more on Local than on any imports.

Though, reforms in Film Administration is encouraging, I would say that China would do anything to win Annual Box Office from North America (US &Canada) It actually ahead of North America if not for the worsening ER in 2023.

17 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

They are doing the same thing as they did with Avatar 2 back in Spring Festival. Will see how it goes but it's likely crashing into the Holidays because Exibitors will favour more on Local than on any imports.

Though, reforms in Film Administration is encouraging, I would say that China would do anything to win Annual Box Office from North America (US &Canada) It actually ahead of North America if not for the worsening ER in 2023.

Hopefully the National Day long holiday will give it some kind of boost though it probably won't be able to keep a lot of screens by then, but hoping it will at least keep some screens in major cities like Beijing and Shanghai.

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

Interstellar has made an extra $20-$30m just from periodic IMAX re-releases. 

Interstellar had a major re-release in South Korea that Oppenheimer won't ever match. It's also the one Nolan movie that seems to have the biggest demand for occasional IMAX re-releases and seems to have only gone up in people's estimation compared to its original release.

I definitely think Oppie will keep adding some money here and there, but I don't know if we'll see any re-release of it capable of doing 20-30 million in one go. Same for any Oscar expansion - this is already finishing in the 950 million range. It's had a massive run - it won't ever have the kind of awards bump that an indie or small release would. You have a dozen movies in that 940-999 million range and there's one in particular that you feel could and should have been pushed past the billion, but even The Two Towers has only added like 10 million with re-releases, if I'm not mistaken. I don't see where it can get 50+ million any time soon (if at all), to be honest. But... as much as I'd love it to hit that number, it would be silly to feel bad if it falls short.

Just an exemplary result.

6 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

I thought it was China?

Yes, sorry. I was thinking China but the usual BOM misinformation made me type the other one.

I just don't see Oppie getting that kind of gross from a single re-release, considering its results in most markets in the original run.

I suppose there's always the chance of a Japan release with 10-20 million and, in ten years' time, Russia, where its portrayal of Oppenheimer as hounded for his association with communism will be celebrated as anti-American and get another 20 million.

Still find it interesting how Interstellar became the GOAT of Nolan movies in China and S. Korea. People around me were always more into the TDK and Inception. I mean I loved Interstellar but I just vividly remember the reception being mixed at the time, in North America at least.

5 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Oppenheimer WW is greater than the last 4 DCEU movies WW combined.

Indeed. It's also bigger WW than last several Disney movies save MOM. Its OS alone is bigger than Mermaid WW for example which just shows that well-made movie for adults can completely mog a ho-hum family entertainment. Hollywood should take more reasonably budgeted quality risks like this and Barbie and make far less obscenely expensive cashgrabs.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 3