Eric S'ennui

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 WEEKEND THREAD

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Nah. Shrek 4 tanked so hard from the peak of Shrek 2 that nostalgia alone cannot take this that high. 

Since Shrek 4 came out the first two have cemented themselves as classics. if A shitty lion king remake can make $1.6B a good Shrek 5 can make $2 Billion, especially if they get the TLW guys to do it.      

6 minutes ago, GambitPool said:

If superhero fatigue has truly begun, what does Gunn's DC Universe look like in 2 years - box office wise? A case of too late to the party? 

Universe has very low hope but Superman itself has hope. he is one of the biggest kahuna and a well made Supes movie has potential. But we have to wait until 2025 to figure out what Gunn's Superman will be like. 

8 minutes ago, GambitPool said:

If superhero fatigue has truly begun, what does Gunn's DC Universe look like in 2 years - box office wise? A case of too late to the party? 

not off to a good start with this weird pick and choose aspect to what will still be canon and a large focus on streaming shows 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Since Shrek 4 came out the first two have cemented themselves as classics. if A shitty lion king remake can make $1.6B a good Shrek 5 can make $2 Billion, especially if they get the TLW guys to do it.      

Lion King is by far the biggest animated movie ever, its not even close how popular it is compared to the next movie. Shrek at its peak never came close to that and definitely not after shrek 4

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

The difference here is that Lion King is much more popular than Shrek.

16 minutes ago, GambitPool said:

Superman Legacy and The Brave and the Bold are probably going to be okey the problem will be with the unknown characters, Supergirl could do fine depending on the budget though, a TV show and debuting on the big screen already should make her a more common name with the GA

44 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I remember predictions for F2 was also similar 200/600 run or so. I think there was a club as well for the same. I am not sure the threequel will even increase. I think Zootopia 2 has higher ceiling if it gets similar reception(not easy for sure).

Nah. Shrek 4 tanked so hard from the peak of Shrek 2 that nostalgia alone cannot take this that high. 

You mean whatever that 3rd installment was ruined it. Shrek Forever After is actually a really solid movie. Not as funny as the rest but a great story overall.

1 minute ago, Austin said:

You mean whatever that 3rd installment was ruined it. Shrek Forever After is actually a really solid movie. Not as funny as the rest but a great story overall.

I have seen them all in theatres. Shrek 3 I caught an early screening few days before it released. Hype around the May 2007 big 3 was huge and if Shrek 3 was great, it could have opened even bigger. Ultimately all 3 disappointed and only Spidey 3 benefited being 1st of the gate to crush the OW record. Pirates 3 which came after DMC which had comfortably taken down OW record just 10 months earlier. 

So I know the movie very well. In fact they have been trying to get Shrek 5 off the ground for ages. I am not convinced they will be able to pull it off even if they hope to replicate Puss formula for success. Puss despite great reviews and unbelievable run is still mid level success. So I am not convinced Shrek 5 is coming near Mario or anything. 

• Like 1

Just now, TheFlatLannister said:

If Guardians is struggling to open, I dread to see the numbers the Marvels will put up😬

I see a sub-100M opening for it and DUNE II holding relatively well on its second weekend.

• Like 2

Shrek 4 is ok but its nowhere near Shrek 2 and even Shrek 1. Obviously better than 3 but that's a very low bar. A shrek 5 would have to be really great to truly capitalise on nostalgia imho. Not sure there is even much left to explore in this series to pull that off but if they do then props to them.

Edited by JustLurking

After PIB2 being so strong, it doesn´t matter if Shrek 3 and 4 was bad 

What people remember the most is how good 1 and 2 was and how much they loved it, a good Shrek 5 [at the same level of PIB2] will make huge numbers 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

The november battle sure has became more interesting now, I thought The Marvels would be the clear winner worldwide but if GOTG 3 goes under the first movie I'm not sure anymore (I already have the thought of Hunger Games making some fight domestic though).