Inceptionzq

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE SPOILERS THREAD ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS***

On 6/7/2023 at 6:31 PM, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Just finished my second viewing and yes the actions sequences and animation are still amazing, but my favourite part by far is the one little quiet scene near the end with very little animation at all - Gwen's reconciliation and hug with her father. It's a simply beautiful scene with beautiful music and gorgeous background art that had my eyes watering.

Anyone who doubts that this is Gwen's movie and that there's no conclusion needs to give this a rewatch. She goes through a complete arc. The intro even shows scenes from later on in the movie of her betraying Miles, which is something I didn't pick up before.

Still 10/10

Just watched it a second time as well, the first parts of the movie definitely have a different feel if you know what happens later at Spidey HQ. Loved the rewatch as well, it went by like a breeze. The one scene I would cut is the speech Gwen gives at the ending to Miles' parents. Their son has disappeared, and Gwen (essentially a stranger) just shows up in his room, acts super sketchy and talks about super intimate topics- their reaction was completely unnatural to me. They just go "oh okay, we'll wait here while this teenager looks for our missing son". 

Other than that, great movie. The visual storytelling is extremely impressive and allows them to stuff a lot in. Just Gwen/Spider Womans facial expressions in the Vulture fight quickly establish her quippy Spider Man persona. The purple avatar Margo is on screen for maybe 2 minutes but has a pretty believable dynamic with Miles. And of course Spot, who is actually barely in the movie but undergoes a great transformation from bumbling fool to... whatever that thing at the end was. 

10 minutes ago, Dephira said:

Just watched it a second time as well, the first parts of the movie definitely have a different feel if you know what happens later at Spidey HQ. Loved the rewatch as well, it went by like a breeze. The one scene I would cut is the speech Gwen gives at the ending to Miles' parents. Their son has disappeared, and Gwen (essentially a stranger) just shows up in his room, acts super sketchy and talks about super intimate topics- their reaction was completely unnatural to me. They just go "oh okay, we'll wait here while this teenager looks for our missing son". 

Other than that, great movie. The visual storytelling is extremely impressive and allows them to stuff a lot in. Just Gwen/Spider Womans facial expressions in the Vulture fight quickly establish her quippy Spider Man persona. The purple avatar Margo is on screen for maybe 2 minutes but has a pretty believable dynamic with Miles. And of course Spot, who is actually barely in the movie but undergoes a great transformation from bumbling fool to... whatever that thing at the end was. 

Yeah I agree the Gwen/Miles parents interaction at the end seemed a bit weird, probably best to just cut to her on the roof. Though granted from the parents' perspective he's only been gone for a few hours  but I'd be a bit concerned if the girl who you sent him off with came back and said "lol idk where he's gone but I'll try and find him". If I were Jefferson I'd be sending the entire station out to hunt for him.

Spot at the end was completely black, completing his goal to gather as many spots as possible that he can use for his shenanigans. It seems the more spots he has the more of a power-up he gets too? Or maybe he just got better at using his power as time went on. He was pretty bad in the opening scenes, losing to Miles in a 1v1 but by the time they reach Alchemax in Mumbattan he's able to cleverly take out Miles, Hobie, Gwen and Pavitr without too much effort. Lord (heh) knows what he can do now that he's 100% spot.

On 6/6/2023 at 12:21 PM, CoolioD1 said:

i didn't realize it's jharrel jerome voicing evil miles. that's cool felt like he disappeared for a while after he won that emmy.

And I noted in the final credits that indeed katherin Hahn did take time off from her role as Agatha in the MCU to revisit her role as Livia Octavius from the first film for a few lines..

I'm very confused by some people that think Miles and Gwen is not set up as a romance. I'd say there was one key moment to set up romance.

It was them paying homage to the upside down kiss in Spider-Man 1. That was very clearly telling that these two are set up as a romance. 

Also the way both of them reacted to Hobie and Margot was pretty damn telling as well.

Edited by Cappoedameron

On 6/9/2023 at 10:06 AM, SpiderByte said:

The discourse around whether or not Gwen is trans or just subtext is especially stupid on both sides when the movie also depicts Gwen as an apparently very devout Catholic 

... Now I know I missed a lot here but uh I missed the Catholicism apparently.

My one quibble with Gwen is that they changed her en pointe shoes to high tops. The ballet shoes were a nice touch.

19 hours ago, Morieris said:

.. Now I know I missed a lot here but uh I missed the Catholicism apparently.

In the opening scene she's shown saying grace over dinner with Peter and her dad and in the drum scene she wears a rosary around her neck

Edited by SpiderByte

14 hours ago, John Marston said:

you know they are setting it up with the references to Venom and the MCU. 

Didn't have a problem with blink 'n miss cameos like Glover or that lady from Venom who I didn't even recognize. They 'll be straight up stupid to do anything more than that for Beyond like any real set-up/crossover. I'm sure there gonna be other spider-verse projects after the trilogy wraps, they can  do their MCU inroads there. They don't have to ruin a thing people like for what it is before it's complete.