Inceptionzq

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE SPOILERS THREAD ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS***

23 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Sheesh, I hope not. Given the beautiful mural for his dad that wasn't defaced (maybe I missed it if it was?) and his mom being jokey and upbeat, I don't expect that to be case all.

They literally say on the news the city has been taken over by the Sinister Six. The entire reason Miguel is upset at Miles is because Earth 42 doesn't have a Spider-Man to protect it, why would you expect everything to be fine?

Edited by SpiderByte

22 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

They literally say on the news the city has been taken over by the Sinister Six. The entire reason Miguel is upset at Miles is because Earth 42 doesn't have a Spider-Man to protect it, why would you expect everything to be fine?

Oh, that's lame. Hopefully more Spot in Beyond and less of that tired been there a ton idea. Bummer. Should've been a lot more Spot in this one honestly. Animating his power was more fun that watching Spideys do spidey stuff over and over and over. It's fun. Looks incredible. But, it's kinda exhauiting. 

25 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Oh, that's lame. Hopefully more Spot in Beyond and less of that tired been there a ton idea. Bummer. Should've been a lot more Spot in this one honestly. Animating his power was more fun that watching Spideys do spidey stuff over and over and over. It's fun. Looks incredible. But, it's kinda exhauiting. 

I don't know why you thought a world that didn't have Spider-Man would somehow be a good one? Like idk what you actually thought it would be like without anyone to, you know, stop the supervillains?

33 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I don't know why you thought a world that didn't have Spider-Man would somehow be a good one? Like idk what you actually thought it would be like without anyone to, you know, stop the supervillains?

Well, no world is good one. The one we live in now isn't exactly good one. Not quite terrible but still. I thought it might be that it didn't make much difference if there was no Spidey at all in Earth 42. As in, his and their existence in some dimensions just doesn't matter. The reality course corrects to adapt to a Spier-Person not being there. You'd get into a whole existential crisis type thing as I'm sure there are many universes even in Spider-Verse in which there are other superheroes/supervillains or none at all... Like our own current universe.

We've had so much friggin' multiverse and/or time loop (close enough to multiverse) stuff pretty much every question and reversal and what have you has been done on a large or small scale since Days of Future Past. So, maybe, the keep it simple stupid tried and true approach is the best one to engage a huge audience.

Lots of yammering from me boils down to the music, animation, vibes and just overall artistry is what elevates Into and especially Across. It's miraculous how what works for these movies coexists and shines such a awesome light on them. The rest is... Pretty basic. And, that's fine.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

34 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Well, no world is good one. The one we live in now isn't exactly good one. Not quite terrible but still. I thought it might be that it didn't make much difference if there was no Spidey at all in Earth 42. As in, his and their existence in some dimensions just doesn't matter.

Then why tf were you confused at why Miles dad might die???

11 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I'm ready for less Donald Glover. That part fell completely flat for me... As did the Venom nod. Was having much, much more fun with all the other Spider-People than those two cutaways/brief moments. I'd toss the LEGO in there too as one I could've done without. All the other Spiders were a lot more fun, interesting than those three Easter Eggs/heavy winks.

All the parts with real actors were bad, you could tell they were just talking to a green screen. The Lego scene was a favorite in my cinema though, along with the India sequence

Everything else was fantastic. The structure was a bit unusual and I think you could find some more or less objective quibbles with it, but it's such a ride from start to finish.

• Like 2

Loved it, but definitely preferred the first one which was such a lightning in a bottle and was always going to be hard to replicate, although this is a worthy follow up which is an achievement in itself. That said, this one is very much a part 1, and not even in an Infinity War kind of way because in that film it actually has a conclusion if you view it as being told from the perspective of Thanos, whereas this just kind of stops in the middle of Act 2 (it’s probably closest to Back to the Future Part 2 in that regard). There’s no real conclusion to anything so you’re just left hanging. The cliffhanger IS good though and I’m already desperate for Beyond the Spider-Verse, but it just feels like we can’t fully judge this film without seeing the conclusion as it’s just half a story.

Absolutely stunningly gorgeous animation though, the India stuff looked incredible, and if they stick the landing with Beyond then this will be a near perfect trilogy.

Also, Peter Parked Car was hands down the best Peter variant.

5 minutes ago, Dephira said:

All the parts with real actors were bad, you could tell they were just talking to a green screen. The Lego scene was a favorite in my cinema though, along with the India sequence

Everything else was fantastic. The structure was a bit unusual and I think you could find some more or less objective quibbles with it, but it's such a ride from start to finish.

The Ms Chen scene was recycled footage from Venom Let There Be Carnage

21 minutes ago, dudalb said:

So they do a Marvel version of the "Does the world need a Superman" routine?

Not really, that topic is barely even hinted at towards the end. 

It might show up more in the sequel but thematically that doesn't seem to be what they are going for 

• Like 2

Anyone else get the feeling that the Spider-Gwen scenes, especially the opening, felt like they had been written for that announced and then canned animated female Spider-Ladies spin-off and wound up in this film? Similar to X-Men: Magneto morphing into First Class.

The ending of this is far more egregious than what Fast X has been accused of.

A lot to love about this movie, but a lack of cohesion. 130 minutes of build up with  no resolution. Everything was set up for an explosive conclusion but the last 15 minutes were total anti-climax, and tbh I didn’t find any of the cliffhangers engaging enough to warrant the mic drop.

Animation was pristine as expected, the individual story elements were engaging, I just feel we were robbed of a climax that would have solidified this as a fully fledged film. I’m just left feeling mostly empty. Like I just ate a bunch of delicious empty calories.

Edit with a few more thoughts:

Agree with above commenter about The Spot, and where that character is headed

Gwen Stacy has the only full character arc in this film. And it’s perfectly handled. The extended prologue and wrap up were beautiful, both in the writing and art-style. It’s the glue that holds this sprawling story together.

Film got too meta for my tastes.

Edited by OncomingStorm93
  • Heart 1

The "to be continued" didn't bother me since it was known in advance it's gonna be a back-to-back 2part mega sequel. I used to be against those on principal, but all the big franchises that went this way (BTTF, Matrix, Pirates)  have only grown in my estimation with age.

The idea of "canon events" is a cool meta commentary on the losses Spider-Man needs to go through to learn responsibility. It reminded me of the rooftop scene in NWH with the three Peters.

In a way this movie rejects that notion both in character with Miles and also the film makers do not want to just repeat the same thing.

I do have a bit of quibbles in thinking Gwen and Peter B Parker would just go along with it especially relating to Miles but when it is keeping the universe together supposedly I can buy it.

3 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Good, definitely good....but it lacked the novely and charm that made the first so special. Also please let the next one be the last multiverse movie or media ever please.

Unfortunately suffers from doing something that has become standard (MoM, No Way Home, What if, Loki) through no fault of its own

• Like 1