Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Transformers $25.6M FRI

1 hour ago, Dominic Draper said:

Transformers ROTB was just okay. Mediocre really.

People can heap praise on it and bumblebee and bash Bay all they want, but the action sequences by Bay are just on another planet than these other 2 films.

The first Transformers is from 2007 and I recently rewatched and it still has better CG and set pieces than this.

End of the day these are movies about alien robots smashing into eachother to sell toys. The spectacle is the only selling point. Not the human drama.

They need another action director to take over.

We all know that majority of the audiences saw Transformers for the action spectacles not for cringe human drama

9 hours ago, excel1 said:

The box office historian in me hates that previews have moved from true midnights to showings starting at 3 PM Thursday :sick:.

Its crap for historical comps and the feelings of electricity among the hardcore mega fans is just killed. Waiting in line for films like Matrix Reloaded, Sith, The Dark Knight at midnight was like waiting in line for the super bowl. 

Man, I saw The Avengers at a midnight screening in a really fancy theater in Charlotte where they enforced a dress code and sold food and alcohol before other theaters were doing that here. The viewing experience was literally perfect. Everyone laughed at the right spots, everyone cheered and clapped at the right spots. The crowd went so wild when Hulk smashed Loki that you couldn’t even hear him say “Puny god”. And when the movie ended I walked several miles home cause the city transit stops running at 2 am and I got home at like 4 something am and what did I do? I came right here to the box office theory forums to read the weekend thread. I was on such a high that night. Not a record indeed.

• Heart 2

6 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

I´m eager to see what Hollywood will do when people get completely exhausted from the same IP´s, remakes, rebrands, revivals etc

It´s so painfully obvious a healthy industry should be creating new stories [and potentially new IP´s] and actually putting effort in making them relevant and interesting to be worthy in a theater, that´s the only way for this industry to keep it´s relevancy.

There´s just too many directors and artists actively saying this and still executives blindly ignores everyone and keeps completely happy redoing things that doesn´t need much effort to convince people to pay for the same old thing rebranded, let´s see they´re freaking out when the trick stop working.

Then when we do get an enormous new IP, the director/creator only works on sequels to said IP since 2009 and has 3 more sequels coming. Obviously, James Cameron isn't even close to the problem but it's a bummer that when a new one is created it's just milked dry over a 15 to 20 years (given the delay between Avatar and The Way of Water releasing). I'd have loved to seem him do Alita himself.

That said, the biggest movies this summer are going to GotGV3, AtSV, MI:DR, Barbie. All sequels or huge IPs. Oppenheimer being the lone original film but it is based on Oppenheimer so not quite as original as other Nolan stuff like Tenet, Inception, etc.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dominic Draper said:

Transformers ROTB was just okay. Mediocre really.

People can heap praise on it and bumblebee and bash Bay all they want, but the action sequences by Bay are just on another planet than these other 2 films.

The first Transformers is from 2007 and I recently rewatched and it still has better CG and set pieces than this.

End of the day these are movies about alien robots smashing into eachother to sell toys. The spectacle is the only selling point. Not the human drama.

They need another action director to take over.

The action in the first opening sequence in Bumblebee is better than anything I've seen in the Bayverse.

• Disbelief 2

1 hour ago, eddyxx said:

Man, I saw The Avengers at a midnight screening in a really fancy theater in Charlotte where they enforced a dress code and sold food and alcohol before other theaters were doing that here. The viewing experience was literally perfect. Everyone laughed at the right spots, everyone cheered and clapped at the right spots. The crowd went so wild when Hulk smashed Loki that you couldn’t even hear him say “Puny god”. And when the movie ended I walked several miles home cause the city transit stops running at 2 am and I got home at like 4 something am and what did I do? I came right here to the box office theory forums to read the weekend thread. I was on such a high that night. Not a record indeed.

I love that switched to Thursday afternoon/early evening for previews. I mean, won't be long until that's been around longer than the midnight screenings. I recall those becoming a thing in the late 1990s when I was kid. Maybe they were around before that but likely very, very few screenings. Of course, it ended in the early 2010s. So, it's been what? 10+ years of Thursday evening previews rather than midnight previews? I think it's an improvement. We all know box office OW are more so 3.5 days now rather than 3.

Best midnight show for me was Order of the Phoenix. Movie was alright. Amount of costumes were insane. Had to sprint (no reserved seats back then kids) to cut in front of a group of two dozen dressed as Hogwarts chorus group. Brother and I got on the news after the screening as they interviewed people coming out of the theater.

1 hour ago, Dominic Draper said:

Not even close. People praise it because it looks like the cartoon.

From where did the Transformers IP originate? Lol

I get the budget would explode if they had a "live action" movie only like that first opening sequence, but that was by far the best part of the movie.

Edited by Austin

26 minutes ago, Austin said:

From where did the Transformers IP originate? Lol

I get the budget would explode if they had a "live action" movie only like that first opening sequence, but that was by far the best part of the movie.

It originated from a very bad cartoon.

Just because the sequence looked the cartoon design doesn't make it a well designed action sequence.

It was a cheap, easy pop for neck beards to start bumblebee before the utter mediocrity of the rest of the film.