Eric is Quiet

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

To be clear I genuinely think that a lot of the next decade will be people (continuing to) experiment with both:

movie adaptations of video games and primarily TV properties

and

Shared continuity/tie-ins between movies and video games/TV properties

I don’t expect that all such attempts will be successful but I am genuinely a fan of Gunn and excited for the DCU

• Like 1

Just now, grey ghost said:

Bane, Joker and Two Face my faves.

Unless you meant the bat-family exclusively.

Bat-Family exclusively. Arguably the best DC superhero next to Superman in my book. And no, I don’t want him to ever becoming Batman again. Doing his own thing is what makes him special.

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Bane, Joker and Two Face my faves.

Unless you meant the bat-family exclusively.

Probably Ivy for me though I feel like her adaptations have been consistently poor 

Well, live-action adaptations that is.

Edited by Into the Legion-Verse
  • Like 1

Is there any specific reason (other than covid related delays) as to why Elemental budget is so high at nearly $200M ? I was surprised when I learned ATSV budget was only $100M whereas Elemental is $200M...didn't make much sense to me. It's not Elemental has some huge cast either

1 minute ago, Into the Legion-Verse said:

To be clear I genuinely think that a lot of the next decade will be people (continuing to) experiment with both:

movie adaptations of video games and primarily TV properties

and

Shared continuity/tie-ins between movies and video games/TV properties

I don’t expect that all such attempts will be successful but I am genuinely a fan of Gunn and excited for the DCU

To be completely clear: what Gunn is thinking about is at least 20 years ahead of us. An AAA production these days are something of 5 years or more at very least these days. You just can’t sync this with films. Streaming and film? Sure, go wild with it. But gaming included as part of a shared universe is just impossible for at very least the next 20 years. Don’t think Gunn will even be able to try that with the DCU.

• Like 1

I would like to see 80's and 90's nostalgia die out.   Studios have been relying on that now for over a decade.  I said this in one of the DC threads but isn't it amazing how when WB just let Matt Reeves and Todd Phillips do their thing they produced massive hits?  

Now some will say that Todd Phillips was a love letter to the 70s and that's true but most people who saw Joker never saw Taxi Driver.  

When you let good writer/directors do their thing,  it produces hits.   When you meddle or try to fluff up the properties with nothing but fan service and nostalgia,  you get way more Flash situations or the Star Wars trilogy ends up falling off a cliff etc. than you do a No Way Home.  

And that's what the James Gunn hire should do for them.  Everything he's written is good. Let him be. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

not only is this flopping but audience reaction does not look that good

I think  Muschietti will be leaving Brave and the Bold due to “creative differences” soon

...hopefully...

Absolutely horrendous decision by James Gunn. I get and believe he truly enjoys this movie and feels like he maybe owes something to Muschietti, but damn dude just give him some other schlock to direct. Not fucking Batman. By far the least interesting director we've ever gotten for a Batman movie

3 minutes ago, 21C said:

I think the gaming aspect could work fine as long as it's not anything that's too crucial for the interconnected universe as a whole. 

It’s impossible because of how time constraining it is. Just look at what the Fables and the God of War directors said recently:

Just now, upriser7 said:

Is there any specific reason (other than covid related delays) as to why Elemental budget is so high at nearly $200M ? I was surprised when I learned ATSV budget was only $100M whereas Elemental is $200M...didn't make much sense to me. It's not Elemental has some huge cast either

I really don't understand how it works when the press for Spiderverse was bragging about how it had the biggest animation team/crew on any animated movie ever. need to see a breakdown on where that money is going for both films.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pinacolada said:

...hopefully...

Absolutely horrendous decision by James Gunn. I get and believe he truly enjoys this movie and feels like he maybe owes something to Muschietti, but damn dude just give him some other schlock to direct. Not fucking Batman. By far the least interesting director we've ever gotten for a Batman movie

Honestly at this point they'd be better off bringing Tim Burton back. Wednesday was well received and it looks like Beetlejuice 2 will be a hit. With or without Keaton I think he still has it in him to make a weird and interesting Batman movie that'll look a lot better than than the CGI monstrosity of The Flash..

Aquaman 2 should have at least way more women for opening weekend.  The problem is it's another lame duck project that they are just trying to recoup some coin from before the reset.  

I don't know what they could have done differently. I think they needed to announce the reset but there's no way it hasn't hurt the box office of Shazam 2,  The Flash and likely Aquaman 2.   There really wasn't an alternative.  They just need to recoup as much as they can and then quickly move on.  

Just now, upriser7 said:

Maybe I am completely wrong, but Disney seems to always have large budgets for everything, while a lot of other studies try to produce somewhat "cheap" movies (from a cost perspective).

Despite DC not doing well and Marvel doing below the craze leading up to 2019, I don't think that superhero movies are or will die out soon. Hopefully DC take time to reorganize their movie universe and get a proper start on it.

• Like 1