Eric Lasagna

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

6 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

I do feel bad for Muschietti though. I feel he's an empathetic storyteller (who doesn't include random weird shit like Gunn) and the emotional core of The Flash was easily its strongest part.

The multiverse aspects tho 

A lot of the weird shit in this movie, is 100% Muschietti. That opening action scene...

40 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Also it’s dire that no DCEU film has grossed above $400M since they got their first $1B film in Aquaman

Well, there was a pandemic and WB decided to go for simultaneous OTT release for 2 films, one of which was WW84 which would have surely coasted past 400M based on the popularity of its predecessor if it had come out in other circumstances.

Also, Joker and The Batman exist. While not DCEU, their successes provide some hope for the DC brand and are the reason why DC projects still keep attracting top talent.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 21C said:

"Creatives a major company/studio hyped up to oblivion and to whom they declared their loyalty towards and even promised them future projects, that got dropped immediately as the major films they did flopped" 

People forget that the love that studios have for people is extremely conditional.

I'm truly willing to be Muschietti will be in the directors seat when the camera's start rolling. 

Gillman seems like a non factor so maybe Elemental plays well enough as an inoffensive family option to have staying power through July. But man the off putting marketing and lukewarm critical reception just put it behind the 8 ball at the start. 

Edited by AniNate

I'm also not convinced Transformers drop is quite the disaster people think it is. It's a Transformers movie in summer, it was always going to drop over 60. The fact that it opened over expectations was the only "win" that movie was ever going to get. We'll see where Paramount goes from here with that franchise (hint: lower the damn budget. Bumblebee at like $120m was good).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Chloe Zhao is doing Hamnet for Amblin from Spielberg, announced recently. 

She signed a deal with Searchlight to produce TV a few months ago, which is from Disney.

And her Dracula movie from Universal is still happening, insiders were saying she’s meeting Pattinson to talk about him as lead like a month ago and she said recently she’s finishing up the script. 

I would guess she won’t return to Eternals tbf, but she didn’t lost any project, in fact she keep the one she was working during Eternals release and sign 2 more after. 

And I'm sure Jeff Loveness will get more work too, but my point is that Muschietti is not gonna remain in the DC ecosystem for much longer or at least not at a project for this magnitude. He's gonna find another decent gig with his first look deal with WB, but he is not gonna remain at Brave and the Bold (or any 200 million blockbuster for that matter) just like how Zhao and Loveness aren't getting another MCU flick. 

None of these people are entitled to 200 million dollars in budget. None.

Edited by 21C

34 minutes ago, Ross612 said:

So then are you only hype for Superman?

No, directors aren't generally a big component of what makes me excited for a movie.   

As far as that component goes though I would say:

Gunn -- significant trust 

Mangold -- moderate trust

Andy -- negative trust 

4 minutes ago, Ross612 said:

I'm truly willing to be Muschietti will be in the directors seat when the camera's start rolling. 

Man, even just looking at the other superhero films that have gotten a B Cinemascore...

Zack Snyder got screwed over a thousand different ways after BvS got a B Cinemascore and lost all the control he previously had over DC

Martin Campbell hasn't gotten his hands on another big IP or blockbuster since Green Lantern.

Chloe Zhao is not gonna get a sequel to Eternals.

Jeff Loveness lost his Avengers gig and I'm pretty sure Peyton Reed is not gonna get another MCU gig after Quantumania.

The "B Cinemascore" certainly seems to be the death nail for directors in CBMs, no matter how high the studios were on them, and no matter how much they hyped them prior to release.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 21C said:

And I'm sure Jeff Loveness will get more work too, but my point is that Muschietti is not gonna remain in the DC ecosystem for much longer or at least not at a project for this magnitude. He's gonna find another decent gig with his first look deal with WB, but he is not gonna remain at Brave and the Bold (or any 200 million blockbuster for that matter) just like how Zhao and Loveness aren't getting another MCU flick. 

None of these people are entitled to 200 million dollars in budget. None.

That's why we should severely lower the budget because what's on the screen does not reflect the budget for any of these films. TLOTR was made on half these films budgets and looks way better. No reason these things should be 200 pieces of shit.