Eric is Quiet

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

20 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I do have to wonder if the whole don’t say gay Disney backlash last year from the crazies in this country has genuinely affected Disney. It would make sense it would hit animation the hardest since these people tend to be your suburban family conservatives who would have lots of kids. Also the type who traditionally loved Disney. I mean, look at what’s happening to Target right now. These bigots are not just some niche or small problem these days, they’re pretty rampant. 

personally I think people are just tired of being called racist or uncultured for not liking disneys recent slate. I mean seriously, it feels like every disney release relies on the marketing of “you’re racist if you don’t watch this”. turns out maybe it’s not a good strategy in the long run?

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Knock It Off 2

11 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

That A-ha Cinemascore is outlier, maybe a sampling error, Posttrack was indicating a worse score.

Even if you think reception was average or less than average, its box office performance shouldn't surprise you, as its predecessor did 1.3B+ WW.

Even if 'Elemental' and 'The Flash' are not profitable, they will be able to pay the release + marketing costs and cover partially the production costs. That's more than Netflix can dream of.
Let's be honest, this is truly the BIGGEST BOMB of the weekend:

Spoiler

Extraction 2 (2023) - Movie Review

Budget: $65m
Marketing: $50m+ (Although I don't doubt it's $100m+)

Box Office: $0

Other revenue: $0
Total LOSS: $115m+

Just now, Litio said:

Even if 'Elemental' and 'The Flash' are not profitable, they will be able to pay the release + marketing costs and cover partially the production costs. That's more than Netflix can dream of.

Hide contents

Not sure if you are joking, but lol. I hate Netflix, I don’t like their model and it’s got even worse this year. With that said I’ve been a subscriber for the last 10+ years, with this month being the first time that I’m unsubscribing. Extraction 2 is a fucking success and arguably the most talked about piece of media I’ve seen this weekend not called Black Mirror. Extraction 2 is an obvious success and despite imagining it’s just a mindless action flick, I’m intriguing to see it before my subscription expires. There is a reason why a sequel to this is already in the works.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thedude11 said:

personally I think people are just tired of being called racist or uncultured for not liking disneys recent slate. I mean seriously, it feels like every disney release relies on the marketing of “you’re racist if you don’t watch this”. turns out maybe it’s not a good strategy in the long run?

that’s some of it. But the Republican Party is more homophobic, racist, crazy, and stupid than ever. I mean come on I don’t even like DeSantis and trumpers hate the guy. It’s not even a real party and democrats went too far left too quickly. Politics has devolved quickly in the US, turning the country into Idiocracy.

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 2

9 minutes ago, Litio said:

Reveal hidden contents

Those goons at Parrot Analytics think that films like DLU and Red Notice made 95M in value to Netflix. If you buy that, Extraction presumably makes budget back so marketing is the real loss (and I doubt it's 100M+)

10 minutes ago, Litio said:

Hide contents

By your logic, every big Netflix series causes Netflix to lose $200–300M lol

I think in the end, its all good to be inclusive and such but in the end as a brand you need to know your audience as well.

Like I notice where I live which is more an area full of conservative minorties, the local big brand stores dont have pride displays, but if I go dowtown they do.

Edited by Torontofan

so Elemental flopped in America because it is a 2023 Disney animated movie and it contains science.  maybe The Big Bang Theory's crowd that is over 20 million would have turned out, but they might be waiting for streaming or they don't believe that the elements consist of earth, air, fire, and water and are not as driven toward the concept, lol.

24 minutes ago, thedude11 said:

The Little Mermaid 100% had to do with racism man, just look at every single video that they uploaded being downvoted because they dared cast the person suited best to play Ariel and from everyone I know that has seen the movie they think Halle was the best part of the movie. 

So this wasn't just the assumption that the bigots were not racist, they 100% WERE.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

that’s some of it. But the Republican Party is more homophobic, racist, crazy, and stupid than ever. I mean come on I don’t even like DeSantis and trumpers hate the guy. It’s not even a real party and democrats went too far left too quickly. Politics has devolved quickly in the US, turning the country into Idiocracy.

Personally I think it's well past time the US adopts a third party. The Republican party does not stand for what it once did, now it's the home of bigotry and hatred. The Democratic party has become the party of pushovers that won't ever do anything when they have power.

Both parties IMO have worn out there welcome. 

• Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, martin said:

Maybe inflation and world economy  crisis is actually real. So people can't go to theater as often as before.

I can see more and more people just going once a month to a movie to save money and waiting for the rest on streaming or home media. Mid budget movies are already dead in theaters, but getting several billion dollar movies a year could be finished.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Is there a list of the revised estimates? Didn't Guardians shoot up too? Makes me assume Mermaid and Elemental will come in higher with revised estimates. I didn't realize AtSV actually dropped a little as someone said but I didn't see it's revised numbers posted.

Edited by Issac Newton
  • Like 1