kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals (Jun 23 - 25) | 19.00M ATSV | 18.44M ELEMENTAL | 15.14M THE FLASH | 15.00M NO HARD FEELINGS

Just now, Napoleon said:

The Suicide Squad should have been the characters going after Black Adam in his film, instead of the Justice Society. Perfect opportunity for a crossover. That was one of the many examples of the mismanagement of the DCEU under Walter Hamada, and the reason everyone stopped caring about this franchise.

Ah, I disagree with that. The Justice Society was the one thing that made Black Adam kinda cool. Hawkman and Dr. Fate were both cool, at least. The Suicide Squad needs to rest for a bit. It’s a cool concept, but I feel like now they can be used as background characters and foils if they get integrated in the DCU, against Superman, Batman, The Authority, etc..

8 hours ago, Speedorito said:

ZSJL was not “widely popular” it got less viewership than TSS (and both got less viewership than even stuff like Mortal Kombat).

It's important to consider that that data comes from Samba TV, and its reliability is still debatable. And according to them, Zack Snyder's Justice League was viewed by 1.8 million households in its first 4 days. Also according to them, the first episode of the Peacemaker TV show was watched by 638,000 households in its first 4 days, and the final episode by 584,000. 

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Ah, I disagree with that. The Justice Society was the one thing that made Black Adam kinda cool. Hawkman and Dr. Fate were both cool, at least. The Suicide Squad needs to rest for a bit. It’s a cool concept, but I feel like now they can be used as background characters and foils if they get integrated in the DCU, against Superman, Batman, The Authority, etc..

I liked the Justice Society in the film as well, but from a commercial perspective I think the Suicide Squad would have made it more appealing to fans and general audiences.

Just now, Napoleon said:

I liked the Justice Society in the film as well, but from a commercial perspective I think the Suicide Squad would have made it more appealing to fans and general audiences.

That’s a given, yes. But it wouldn’t set the box office on fire either. Which makes it kinda unrealistic to expect Harley Quinn and company would take on Black Adam. I get what you are saying, I just don’t think it doesn’t make sense from a budget standpoint. 

My issue with Black Adam is kinda the same I have with Sony’s Spidey villains films. It feels like a relic of the old school Fox’s Daredevil and Ghost Rider era. Other than the Justice Society, Black Adam as a character felt too much like an old superhero protagonist in a bad way.

No one wants WB to “go dark” for ten years. Focus on the Reeves verse, promote Joker: Folie a Deux, make an Aquaman 3 if Aquaman 2 does well, green light an animated Batman Beyond movie to have your own Spider-Verse equivalent, but stop rushing to create your own CiNeMaTiC uNiVeRsE because the concept is not popular outside of the MCU and the Conjuring. The fact that people are talking about brand fidelity before they even mention good movies is a huge part of how we got to this dumpster fire. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

No one wants WB to “go dark” for ten years. Focus on the Reeves verse, promote Joker: Folie a Deux, make an Aquaman 3 if Aquaman 2 does well, green light an animated Batman Beyond movie to have your own Spider-Verse equivalent, but stop rushing to create your own CiNeMaTiC uNiVeRsE because the concept is not popular outside of the MCU and the Conjuring. The fact that people are talking about brand fidelity before they even mention good movies is a huge part of how we got to this dumpster fire. 

This is what I mean, WB aren't going to have nothing from DC for a decade because they know when it hits, it hits big. If you look at something like Super Pets which wasn't huge by any stretch but it did 4x its OW and was well received and even Black Adam had okay legs. 

The Metal Men movie which is in development at WBPA is one where I think could well because there's no baggage but also it's a fun concept that they can play with much like how WDAS made Big Hero 6 which is nothing like the comics. 

• Like 1

People talking as if rebooting the universe will have any effect without a break.

I'm 100% sure that public won't go "Oh look a studio who has delivered dumpster fire after dumpster fire for years is now restarting, an year after delivering another dumpster fire, we should go"

Edited by THUNDER BIRD
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

No, they did not make Black Adam "kinda cool". They were a bunch of jobbers who accomplished nothing and got their asses beaten raw by Black Adam to make him look "dominant" in every single fight in the movie. If they get put into Gunn's DC it should NOT be using that method. 

23 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

People talking as if rebooting the universe will have any effect without a break.

I'm 100% sure that public won't go "Oh look a studio who has delivered dumpster fire after dumpster fire for years is now restarting, an year after delivering another dumpster fire, we should go"

Push Superman: Legacy to 2028. 

44 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

I don’t think people understand what WB is looking for with building the DCU and why they won’t stop until they get that going. I understand why film buffs might be turned off by cinematic universes, but thinking that this is about the MCU or Conjuring is simply not looking at what Star Wars has been doing since the 70s. What the MCU did wasn’t to invent the wheel, they just perfected it.

It’s clear that there isn’t an interest to the current “DCEU" take of this universe. They tried real hard one last hurrah with The Flash and failed. But you can’t expect any studio to look at them owning a whole universe like WB does with their DC Universe and say ‘nah, we are cool with just The Batman, Joker and maybe a Super Pets sequel’. There is no unringing the bell that Star Wars started it and the MCU perfected it.

You can’t expect people to keep caring about Batman Year One stories every ten years and don’t expect diminishing returns eventually. What WB is looking for desperately isn’t just MCU money, but a way of making their biggest IP farm actually profitable, meaning, the DC Universe. They are looking for their brands longevity and yes, they’ve failed miserably the last ten years. But expecting them to stop and just pretend that what they have going for it is "good enough" doesn’t make sense from a business standpoint, regardless of your preferences for shared universes or not.

Edited by ZattMurdock

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

I don’t think people understand what WB is looking for with building the DCU and why they won’t stop until they get that going. I understand why film buffs might be turned off by cinematic universes, but thinking that this is about the MCU or Conjuring is simply not looking at what Star Wars has been doing since the 70s. What the MCU did wasn’t to invent the wheel, they just perfected it.

It’s clear that there isn’t an interest to the current “DCEU" take of this universe. They tried real hard one last hurrah with The Flash and failed. But you can’t expect any studio to look at them owning a whole universe like WB does with their DC Universe and say ‘nah, we are cool with just The Batman, Joker and maybe a Super Pets sequel’. There is no unringing the bell that Star Wars started it and the MCU perfected it.

You can’t expect people to keep caring about Batman Year One stories every ten years and don’t expect diminishing returns eventually. What WB is looking for desperately isn’t just MCU money, but a way of making their biggest IP farm actually profitable, meaning, the DC Universe. They are looking for their brands longevity and yes, they’ve failed miserably the last ten years. But expecting them to stop and just pretend that what they have going for it doesn’t make sense from a business standpoint, regardless of your preferences for shared universes or not.

That's all very well and good but they certainly won't be getting any of this immediately after the entire Snyderverse tanked. Enough audiences have been burned now to not trust DC properties that aren't Batman for a while. Best to wait until demand increases again, because demand for DC stuff is very low now after all WB's errors.

• Like 1

Just now, MightyDargon said:

That's all very well and good but they certainly won't be getting any of this immediately after the entire Snyderverse tanked. Enough audiences have been burned now to not trust DC properties that aren't Batman for a while. Best to wait until demand increases again, because demand for DC stuff is very low now after all WB's errors.

I mean, that’s what they are doing. It’s clearly not going for yet another Justice League film. They are starting small and keeping it small, "not overextending themselves" like Gunn put it on his most recent interview about the DCU. There is Superman, Batman, likely other Robins beyond Damian, the Suicide Squad characters and the Authority, but no current Justice League, Wonder Woman, Flash, etc. They are finally doing what they should have been done since 2013, and that’s a good thing. I’m actually very confident that it will payoff.

7 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

You can’t expect people to keep caring about Batman Year One stories every ten years and don’t expect diminishing returns eventually. What WB is looking for desperately isn’t just MCU money, but a way of making their biggest IP farm actually profitable, meaning, the DC Universe. They are looking for their brands longevity and yes, they’ve failed miserably the last ten years. But expecting them to stop and just pretend that what they have going for it is "good enough" doesn’t make sense from a business standpoint, regardless of your preferences for shared universes or not.

We don’t need audiences to care about Batman Year One stories every decade. Joker has his own successful universe, Pattinson could play Batman for years to come, and I do believe a Batman Beyond movie could find an audience. 

2 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

We don’t need audiences to care about Batman Year One stories every decade. Joker has his own successful universe, Pattinson could play Batman for years to come, and I do believe a Batman Beyond movie could find an audience. 

Yeah I don’t see it happening. All I see from Pattinson and Reeves is they trying to make their own spin on Nolan’s Batman, and I think that’s a shame, because there is potential there. Whatever potential a Batman Beyond ever had it died with The Flash last week. And bringing back an older Bale’s Batman for a sort of The Dark Knight Returns or even Batman Beyond eventually is sort of like an idea that might be cool for older superhero fans, but not really what WB is looking for and most of all, that it makes sense for their brand moving forward.

I personally don’t have MCU or superhero fatigue, I have WB trying to replicate Nolan’s Batman effect after twenty fucking years fatigue. It’s time to move on.

Batman Beyond would have been a much better choice than Authority or Swamp Thing as far as projects that have mainstream interest. I get WHY WB is obsessed with having its MCU (debt load) but they've bungled it so badly that it's made their debt load worse and they should probably go with something less connected. Because nobody wants to buy into an MCU from a company in severe financial distress.

1 minute ago, MightyDargon said:

Batman Beyond would have been a much better choice than Authority or Swamp Thing as far as projects that have mainstream interest. I get WHY WB is obsessed with having its MCU (debt load) but they've bungled it so badly that it's made their debt load worse and they should probably go with something less connected. Because nobody wants to buy into an MCU from a company in severe financial distress.

Can we just have ANYTHING ELSE from DC that isn’t a take on Batman? Brave and the Bold is at least trying something new. A fresh take on Batman. How many attempts of old Batman past his prime we got from Batman in the last ten years, I am counting at least two and maybe three if we do count The Dark Knight Rises. I know that hardcore Batman fans love Batman and want him in all shapes and forms but come on now. The DC Universe is a lot bigger than Gotham City. I for one am glad and excited they are branching out. The Authority is a very cool concept to explore, especially in direct opposition to Superman. 

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

10 years with no DC films at all is not going to happen. Hell, even Sony only waited three years after TASM2 to reboot Spider-Man.

TASM2 underperformed but was still a $700M profitable movie, DCEU on the other hand is on a record breaking 6-film flop streak, they're not the same at all.

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

Can we just have ANYTHING ELSE from DC that isn’t a take on Batman? Brave and the Bold is at least trying something new. A fresh take on Batman. How many attempts of old Batman past his prime we got from Batman in the last ten years, I am counting at least two and maybe three if we do count The Dark Knight Rises. I know that hardcore Batman fans love Batman and want him in all shapes and forms but come on now. The DC Universe is a lot bigger than Gotham City. I for one am glad and excited they are branching out. The Authority is a very cool concept to explore, especially in direct opposition to Superman. 

No, because DC film sucks at things that aren't Batman.  They whiffed what could have been a great franchise starter in Green Lantern, screwed up Wonder Woman beyond repair at movie #2 to the point Gunn won't reboot her despite being a Big 3 character, somehow managed to tank their own Justice League despite massive hype, and can't even get "bring Keaton's Batman back for nostalgia in a team up" right. The "DC brand" is an utter fucking failure on par with Sony's Godzilla at this point. If they want it to have ANY value they need to give non-Batman stuff a 10 year break. Even Universal knew when it was time to give Jurassic Park a rest and most of the DC releases in the last 5 years would've killed for Dominion's gross.