VanillaSkies

July 5 & 6 Numbers Thread

Just now, JustLurking said:

So basically the film is going to bomb because he says so even though nothing really suggests it? Alrighty then.

FWIW I think Universal will be pretty happy if they make anything from Oppenheimer at all (which from the looks of it they will), this film really just seems like a way for them to get goodwill with Nolan so they can get his next more commercially-appealing film, making some profit with a 3-hour r-rated biopic is just the cherry on top

Welcome to MovieMan89.

• Like 1

Just now, JustLurking said:

So basically the film is going to bomb because he says so even though nothing really suggests it? Alrighty then.

FWIW I think Universal will be pretty happy if they make anything from Oppenheimer at all (which from the looks of it they will), this film really just seems like a way for them to get goodwill with Nolan so they can get his next more commercially-appealing film, making some profit with a 3-hour r-rated biopic is just the cherry on top

Yeah Oppenheimer's early tracking has it doing very strong, previews anywhere from $6-8M at the moment which is, for a 3 hour prestige drama that's R-rated and about a niche topic, really fucking good.

Who said the movie won’t have strong previews for this kind of film? It’s Nolan, there is a massive rush in his core base for anything he does. It’s everything after previews that is the big question mark. Strong reviews I would say will lead to a breakout, Tenet reviews probably like mid 30s OW, might end up being a bomb. Budget is fine but still very high for this kind of film. 

Edited by MovieMan89

Movieman also insisted all the time that GotG wouldn’t have legs and when it did, he never talked about it anymore. He also claimed that Elemental legs in the summer is nothing impressive unless it can hit 7x like PiB. And now he’s talking about Nolan having no pull power. I guess when Opp breakouts and does amazing numbers, he’ll probably gone again or argue that nuke scene saves the movie.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

Just now, Claudio said:

Movieman also insisted all the time that GotG wouldn’t have legs and when it did, he never talked about it anymore. He also claimed that Elemental legs in the summer is nothing impressive unless it can hit 7x like PiB. And now he’s talking about Nolan having no pull power. I guess when Opp breakouts and does amazing numbers, he’ll probably gone again or argue that nuke scene saves the movie.

He was insistent that RoTB was going sub-300 worldwide and said there was a 'good chance' it was going to go sub-200 worldwide. Dude's just a troll at this point.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Claudio said:

Lol, too bad that’s all a warped perception of whatever reality you’re spinning. Not only did I talk about GotG3 after it had legs, I outright said I was wrong about it. Your other “points” just require basic reading comprehension of recent posts to understand why they’re silly so I won’t reiterate. 

• Knock It Off 3

4 hours ago, rebelscum86 said:

oh also, quirky / interesting moment, in the special message Caviezel eludes to Hollywood trying to stop the movie and it getting shelved for 5 years; after the message some one in the crowd stood up and yelled if anyone doesn't know it was Disney that wouldn't release the movie. 

people booed Disney and a few different women yelled stop taking your kids to Disney. So Disney does have a brand image problem in rural areas and probably are losing customers on principal.

Surrrrrrrrrrre

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

59 minutes ago, Mulder said:

He was insistent that RoTB was going sub-300 worldwide and said there was a 'good chance' it was going to go sub-200 worldwide. Dude's just a troll at this point.

We aren’t doing this by the way. People being stubborn or making outlandish predictions doesn’t make them a troll and it’s important to not use harsh labels like these. Please treat your fellow BOT members, even ones you dislike, with respect.

We also allow access for you to place users you dislike onto an Ignore list, so you can’t view their posts.

• Like 6
  • Heart 1

19 minutes ago, Eric Bunny said:

We aren’t doing this by the way. People being stubborn or making outlandish predictions doesn’t make them a troll and it’s important to not use harsh labels like these. Please treat your fellow BOT members, even ones you dislike, with respect.

We also allow access for you to place users you dislike onto an Ignore list, so you can’t view their posts.

No offense but ignore doesn't work when their outlandish predictions and rhetoric derail entire threads. At this point I'd call it trolling.

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

5 hours ago, Austin said:

Wtf?!?!

This can't be that true. I'm 19 and I knew who Spielberg was before I got into movies. Hell, I knew who Nolan and Tarantino were. Spielberg has to be the most recognizable director name of maybe all time? Kubrick might be for the older generations, idk, I just got into movies this February.

Bingo! In 1985 when I was 13 years old, I knew who the giant director's were from a generation ago. Obviously I knew Hitchcock and Frank Capra and a few others. If you love movies it doesn't matter what generation you are, you know who the big names are from past and present.

• Like 1

I don’t really get the idea that the Dunkirk evacuation is of more resonance to international audiences (minus the UK) than the invention of the atomic bomb and its aftermath?

What might help WOM is that most audiences have little clue what the movie will be fully about. Most probably think it’s just the Manhattan Project, when it’s also about the FBI illegally colluding to end Oppenheimer’s role in government, the influence of McCarthyism, etc. I mean, Biden literally reversed the 1954 security clearing decision against Oppenheimer last year. Any kind of political / cultural discourse about the movie will be a bonus.